Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe Simpson’s Saturday Night Rant

Creepy Lurking Stalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    When it comes to enjoying a broadcast, I don’t see why it matters whether a broadcaster is pro or anti analytics. 99% of my enjoyment of a broadcast comes from whether or not my team wins. The Braves have embraced the use of analytics so if you like analytics it shouldn’t matter what Joe or any other broadcaster has to say.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to IAJon For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (08-04-2018)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IAJon View Post
    When it comes to enjoying a broadcast, I don’t see why it matters whether a broadcaster is pro or anti analytics. 99% of my enjoyment of a broadcast comes from whether or not my team wins. The Braves have embraced the use of analytics so if you like analytics it shouldn’t matter what Joe or any other broadcaster has to say.
    What broadcasters say can influence casual fans and those new to the game. The Braves broadcast crew making ignorant statement and seemingly not enjoying the game is disappointing.

Creepy Lurking Stalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    “thewupk;What broadcasters say can influence casual fans .”

But does that matter? Is this a new religion that is trying to spread? Whether 1% or 100% of fans like analytics has no impact on how they are used by the teams. If managers and execs believe they help win games they will be used. And if teams improve by using them the fans will be happy.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to IAJon For This Useful Post:

VirginiaBrave (08-04-2018)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts

But does that matter? Is this a new religion that is trying to spread? Whether 1% or 100% of fans like analytics has no impact on how they are used by the teams. If managers and execs believe they help win games they will be used. And if teams improve by using them the fans will be happy.
    Indoctrination is not my objection. I hate that Joe makes the entertainment less entertaining. As I said upthread, he’s resolutely bitter about the thing he’s paid to describe, and he wilfully vampires out the fun from broadcasts whenever he stumbles upon one of his myriad curmudgeonly soapboxes.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts

Sure. But do we really need teams broadcasters telling the fans that the game sucks now compared to when he played? Because that's essentially what Joe does on a nightly basis.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-04-2018)

Creepy Lurking Stalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Sure. But do we really need teams broadcasters telling the fans that the game sucks now compared to when he played? Because that's essentially what Joe does on a nightly basis.
    I guess I don’t share that interpretation of what Joe is saying. Not that he is necessarily the best broadcaster. I enjoy his reminiscing. But I enjoy history in general.

Also, in 30 years the players of today will be broadcasters talking about “the good old days” too. Its a universal human condition.

NL Rookie of the Year Acuña’s Bat Flip's Avatar
    Gaffney, South Carolina (Home of the Big Butt "Peach" on I-85)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    We could be stuck with David Ross!

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    I guess I don’t share that interpretation of what Joe is saying. Not that he is necessarily the best broadcaster. I enjoy his reminiscing. But I enjoy history in general.

Also, in 30 years the players of today will be broadcasters talking about “the good old days” too. Its a universal human condition.
    I listen to plenty of opposing teams broadcasts. It's not universal among broadcasters. Joe is among the worst.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-04-2018)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts

Let's just say the Braves TV Territory, one of the largest geographically speaking for any team, has a lot of people that don't believe in modern science. So explaining or convincing them that analytics is beneficial for the club is pretty much pointless. The guy that sometimes is in the booth with Chip & Joe, was once quoted as a player saying "If On-Base Percentage is so important then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?".

Oh and btw, Welcome to the board friend. Don't leave so soon.
    Forever Fredi

Creepy Lurking Stalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    I listen to plenty of opposing teams broadcasts. It's not universal among broadcasters. Joe is among the worst.
    Shouldn’t you have some analytics for that? What we need is a negativiy quotient for broadcasters. Data that shows what percent of their comments about today’s game are negative/derogatory. Then we can compare all broadcasters scientifcally.

Creepy Lurking Stalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    [QUOTE=Forever Fredi;

Oh and btw, Welcome to the board friend. Don't leave so soon.
    [/QUOTE]

Thanks. I like the board. I am familiar with most of the posters here. We used to post in a different forum five years ago.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Shouldn’t you have some analytics for that? What we need is a negativiy quotient for broadcasters. Data that shows what percent of their comments about today’s game are negative/derogatory. Then we can compare all broadcasters scientifcally.
    No but I should make one. I have a feeling Joe would still rank among the worst. Baseball has changed for the better and people like Joe need to accept it.

Creepy Lurking Stalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    No but I should make one. I have a feeling Joe would still rank among the worst. Baseball has changed for the better and people like Joe need to accept it.
    Some changes have been for the better. Some for the worse. I am not sure how the balance has turned out overall. Nor am I sure how Joe feels. He has criticized aspects of today’s game. But I have never heard him say outright that the game is worse today overall than it was when he played. Just because he does not point out what he likes about today’s game doesn’t mean he doesn’t like it. There are many people who a quicker to criticize what they don’t like than they are to highlight the things they do like. But I can see how Joe can grate on people.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to IAJon For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-04-2018)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Joe sees the same thing I do. Manfred's zeal to put his own stamp on the game is ruining it in a lot of ways. The no pitch intentional walk, unnecessary. The coming DH in the NL, unnecessary. The analytics genie is out of the bottle and not going back. I see the players and Joe's aggravation. I laugh my ass off when a manager plays the analytics card vs the traditional and it doesn't work. As far as Manfred goes, he best be careful with his ideas, he needs to look no further than NASCAR and Brian France to see what overdoing it with rules can do.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaBrave View Post
    Joe sees the same thing I do. Manfred's zeal to put his own stamp on the game is ruining it in a lot of ways. The no pitch intentional walk, unnecessary. The coming DH in the NL, unnecessary. The analytics genie is out of the bottle and not going back. I see the players and Joe's aggravation. I laugh my ass off when a manager plays the analytics card vs the traditional and it doesn't work. As far as Manfred goes, he best be careful with his ideas, he needs to look no further than NASCAR and Brian France to see what overdoing it with rules can do.
    Manfreds ideas are one thing and some are hit and miss with me. The number of mount visits and no pitch IBB is dumb. DH should of been in the NL a long time ago. Analytics is the future (and present) and those that can't accept it are going to be left behind. I don't think it's a surprise that the Braves rank 3rd in DRS this year compared to 23rd last year after adopting an analytics approach to defense.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-04-2018)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    For me, there are only two offensive stats that mean anything. Avg. and RBI's and that's it. Defensively, all I ask is make the play you should.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    I’m neutral-to-bearish in most of Manfred’s “innovations,” but that’s not really relevant to my Joe Simpson beef. Dude has an awesome job and he seems to hate it.

Baseball is great right now. Fix video review, dial back interleague play and put a stake through the heart of the satanic ASG home-field thing, and we’re pretty much good to go.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-04-2018), Metaphysicist (08-05-2018)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaBrave View Post
    For me, there are only two offensive stats that mean anything. Avg. and RBI's and that's it. Defensively, all I ask is make the play you should.
    That's fine. But you have to realize that FO's in baseball just don't operate that way anymore. And I think we should celebrate the players that provide legit value to their teams, in their various ways, instead of promoting archaic views on players.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-04-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,513 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    and put a stake through the heart of the satanic ASG home-field thing, and we’re pretty much good to go.
    That’s been dead for a few years now.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    That's fine. But you have to realize that FO's in baseball just don't operate that way anymore. And I think we should celebrate the players that provide legit value to their teams, in their various ways, instead of promoting archaic views on players.
    But those of us who do not value analytics or we adhere to traditions like myself, Joe, and Tom have our opinions and they are just as valid and should be expressed freely.