Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Joe Simpson’s Saturday Night Rant

Creepy Lurking Stalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    I remember Furcal being arrested for under age drinking when he was a “19 yr old” rookie. In reality he was 22. That backfired on him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,052 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    and he doesn't move loosely like a 19 year old either. He moves like Albert Pujols in STL did in 2010
    Yeah. There's nothing about him that looks like a 19 year old. .

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IAJon View Post
    I remember Furcal being arrested for under age drinking when he was a “19 yr old” rookie. In reality he was 22. That backfired on him.
    I thought it was a DUI he got busted for.

Creepy Lurking Stalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    I thought it was a DUI he got busted for.
    That’s true. I forgot the DUI. He was also charged with under age drinking. I just found that ironic when his true age came out a few years later.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    The thing with Soto is that it's not just one thing that makes you think he's older. It's everything.

If it was just that he was bulky you might be able to write it off as him just being an extreme outlier in body type.

If it was just that his face looks like a 30 year old you might write it off as him just having an old face.

If it was just that he had an advanced eye you could write it off as him just having that special ability.

It's not one thing. It's everything. He's not got the slim build of a 19 year old but an old face. He's not got a young face and youthful approach with a bulky body. He's not a youthful looking, slight framed kid with a great eye.

He's got the build of someone in their late 20's, the face of someone in their late 20's or early 30's, and the eye of a hitter with 10 years more experience than he's got. All together I find that completely unbelievable.

If his listed age was 23 I could maybe buy it. He'd still seem older but it would at least be plausible that he could just be someone who looks old. I just can't buy that he's 19. There's nothing about him that looks 19. Compare him to Acuna and you'll see how huge the difference is.
    This is him after he initially signed:

That looks like a 16-year-old kid to me. He obviously bulked up and matured very quickly, but that does look like a teenager there.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

Garmel (08-08-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaBrave View Post
    But those of us who do not value analytics or we adhere to traditions like myself, Joe, and Tom have our opinions and they are just as valid and should be expressed freely.
    Saying, 'I value RBI, not analytics,' is insane and contradictory. RBI is an analytical measure. It may not be as in-depth as others, but it is a statistic, just as wOBA is a statistic. The fact that you've decide RBI is more valuable than others simply because it's been around longer just means you're unwilling to attempt to understand anything better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,705 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    This is him after he initially signed:

That looks like a 16-year-old kid to me. He obviously bulked up and matured very quickly, but that does look like a teenager there.
    If Soto were hitting .250 with a .775 ops, these accusations wouldn't be coming out. Just hating imo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,052 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    If Soto were hitting .250 with a .775 ops, these accusations wouldn't be coming out. Just hating imo
    If he was hitting .250, no one would care. When you're a star, people take note. And when you look and play like you're in your late 20s but claim to be 19, people take note of that too, and they speculate.

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,814 Posts
    Regardless of what you think of Soto’s age, Joe has now put himself where any sort of criticism he makes is going to gain attention. He’s now become the “grumpy old man” in many fans eyes. How much Simpson really cares, who knows. I doubt he loses much sleep over it. I don’t see him getting fired or anything, but it wouldn’t surprise me if he steps away from the booth relatively soon.
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaBrave View Post
    But those of us who do not value analytics or we adhere to traditions like myself, Joe, and Tom have our opinions and they are just as valid and should be expressed freely.
    Well done. You have very succinctly summarized the problem with the US today with a single post, perfectly describing the anti-intellectual wave sweeping over the uneducated masses.

"My ignorant opinion is just as valid as your educated opinion".

No, ignorant opinions are not as valid as educated opinions. This is proven by the fact that zero MLB FOs are run by folks with ignorant opinions about baseball. In fact, nobody is paid for their ignorant opinions on matters...because they are useless.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 08-08-2018 at 12:38 PM.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Gary82 (08-08-2018), Super (08-08-2018), WaitingFor2017 (08-08-2018)

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,814 Posts
    Joe is catching it everywhere now
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,052 Posts
    People are way too sensitive. So what if Joe criticized the way the Dodgers are dressed? What does it matter. So what if Joe made an offhand comment about the Soto's age?

In reality, it was the overreactions of Roberts and Rizzo that made these into stories. If Roberts laughs off the criticism of the Dodgers outfits (like he should have) then no one cares. If Rizzo ignores Joe's comment about Soto's age (like he should have) it's not a story.

Seriously, why did Roberts and Rizzo get their noses out of shape? Are we so sensitive that guys in positions of power can't take any comment that's even slightly critical?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    People are way too sensitive. So what if Joe criticized the way the Dodgers are dressed? What does it matter. So what if Joe made an offhand comment about the Soto's age?

In reality, it was the overreactions of Roberts and Rizzo that made these into stories. If Roberts laughs off the criticism of the Dodgers outfits (like he should have) then no one cares. If Rizzo ignores Joe's comment about Soto's age (like he should have) it's not a story.

Seriously, why did Roberts and Rizzo get their noses out of shape? Are we so sensitive that guys in positions of power can't take any comment that's even slightly critical?
    Agreed.

The "dumb old guy hates new things" narrative is compounded by the much worse "I'm outraged and offended by everything" wave that has also swept the nation haha.

Remember when folks used to simply ignore idiots when they said idiotic things because everyone knew they were idiots?

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Jaw (08-08-2018), USMA76 (08-08-2018)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts

Why are we defending Joe again?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,052 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Why are we defending Joe again?
    I wont defend Joe from people who just don't like him as an announcer. That's just a matter of taste. But I don't think his comments deserve the swarm of attention they've been getting and he doesn't deserve the mockery that's been heaped on him over them.

To me, the more ridiculous looks were Roberts and Rizzo getting upset. His comments were pretty innocuous and they made a big deal about it. Just silly.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    I wont defend Joe from people who just don't like him as an announcer. That's just a matter of taste. But I don't think his comments deserve the swarm of attention they've been getting and he doesn't deserve the mockery that's been heaped on him over them.

To me, the more ridiculous looks were Roberts and Rizzo getting upset. His comments were pretty innocuous and they made a big deal about it. Just silly.
    It's probably overblown some. I hope it does continue so that he's hopefully let go.

Hysterical Girlfriend
    That Storms Out and
    Returns the Next Day
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    453 Posts
    Skip Caray would have been burned at the stake in this sensitive world...

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mossy For This Useful Post:

Garmel (08-08-2018), Jaw (08-08-2018), striker42 (08-08-2018), VirginiaBrave (08-08-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    As usual, the pendulum swung a little too far in the opposite direction when a long standing social injustice was corrected. It’s just something we have to live with for a while before sanity regains control.

Still doesn’t change the fact that Joe is an idiot and should be replaced.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Remember when folks used to simply ignore idiots when they said idiotic things because everyone knew they were idiots?
    YOU are saying this?!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

Garmel (08-08-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts

He blasted the professionalism of Roberts' players and questioned the integrity/legitimacy of one of Rizzo's players. You don't think that is worth defending?