Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Inciarte's future

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts

Inciarte's future

Let me first begin by saying I am not advocating us dumping him. On my ride home last night, they were talking on the rain delay show about what the future may hold for Inciarte. With his struggles the first half of the season, to now being placed in a platoon position, what is his future with the team.

They were also asking what the future of Swanson may look like. Him having another down year, and Camargo proving that he can play. When Riley comes up, do you move Camargo to SS?

That got me thinking, what could we get for a package of Swanson and Inciarte in the offseason? We would be giving up 2 assets we all assumed would be or are part of our core, with no one ready to step in to replace Inciarte in CF outside of Acuna. But then you would need to replace your LF and RF positions. Duvall is not an everyday player.
    Get off my lawn!

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    I would think Inciarte could be moved in a deal in the off season. AA covered his bases with Duvall.

I don’t think AA will be actively trying to trade him, but if the right deal comes along...I don’t see him blinking very hard.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    AA has made clear that no player is worth more than his right arm.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Dansby is a much better SS than Camargo. He's been above-average this year. I don't understand why people are trying to figure out how to unload him. Sure, we would all like him to hit better, but as a SS he's hitting fine and he's been great in the field.

He will need to continue to improve as a hitter as his defense begins to decline, but at least for the next several years, he is an asset, not a problem.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    We are actually a good defensive team and with a better RF could be a really good defensive team. Yet people want to trade two of the best defenders we have because they don’t hit in the top half of the league. Ender is fine with his contract to be a platoon/4th outfielder type. Swanson needs to stay at short.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    I think the outfield and infield will return pretty much the same next year. The area AA is likely to concentrate on this off-season is catcher.

"I am your retribution."

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I think the outfield and infield will return pretty much the same next year. The area AA is likely to concentrate on this off-season is catcher.
    I don't see Neck returning.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    veteran laider

"I am your retribution."

9. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

NinersSBChamps (08-01-2018)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I like Inciarte, but his offensive game reminds me of the slap hitters of the 1960s and 1970s and I don't how that will hold up for him. He's a complementary-level player and the Braves may need more out of a player than he can provide unless the other younger guys really develop quickly.

I don't see them moving Dansby. I have always liked Camargo, but I don't know if he's an everyday SS at the major league level.

PS--I agree with wupk in that I don't see Markakis returning next season.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Depends on if Flaherty returns, IMO.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

thewupk (08-01-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I like Inciarte, but his offensive game reminds me of the slap hitters of the 1960s and 1970s and I don't how that will hold up for him. He's a complementary-level player and the Braves may need more out of a player than he can provide unless the other younger guys really develop quickly.

I don't see them moving Dansby. I have always liked Camargo, but I don't know if he's an everyday SS at the major league level.

PS--I agree with wupk in that I don't see Markakis returning next season.
    I think Inciarte's tenure in likely to depend on the development of Pache and Waters. I have doubts about Acuna being a good enough defender to hold down center.

"I am your retribution."

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts
    I think Inciarte's tenure in likely to depend on the development of Pache and Waters. I have doubts about Acuna being a good enough defender to hold down center.
    I'd rather keep Acuna in a corner - I would imagine playing CF takes its toll on a player

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    In a best case scenario you'd have those two ready to hit the majors in the last year of Enders contract. Would be good timing.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Inciarte - I think if I were he, that I would not be buying any houses in Atlanta this fall. Acuna is getting a tryout in CF, IMO. If they like what they see, I think Ender will be shopped. If not, my guess is that they will look around at their other options and still try to move Ender's deal before any obvious decline sets in.

Swanson - He's been so good defensively that it is easy to wait on his bat. I'd be willing to listen to what the lineup looked like if he was traded.

So, I think Inciarte and Swanson have similar positions on this team. Their defense makes them useful. Inciarte is downside from here and Swanson retains a fair amount of upside. A Brandon Crawford offensive turn is not impossible for him as someone pointed out.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Think it all rides on Harper. 2019 outfield is either Harper, Jr., Duvall or Jr., Ender, and Duvall. Either way, AA seems to be well covered. Don't think Neck is back at all as his money would be in Harper offer or used to fill holes. AA is on the right path to hold a trophy very soon.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    I called Inciarte a platoon bat that was destined to be a 4th OFer by the end of his contract long ago.

I was lambasted for that opinion.

I was right...again. Carry on.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,987 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Dansby is a much better SS than Camargo. He's been above-average this year. I don't understand why people are trying to figure out how to unload him. Sure, we would all like him to hit better, but as a SS he's hitting fine and he's been great in the field.

He will need to continue to improve as a hitter as his defense begins to decline, but at least for the next several years, he is an asset, not a problem.
    If we could get a legit TOR pitcher or a great hitter, I think Dansby would be a great centerpiece in a deal. My thought process is we could shift Ozzie back to SS and sign a 2b, or we could sign Jose Iglesias for SS. I like Dansby plenty, but I'm not sure he'll ever be more than a league average bat so it makes him expendable in my mind.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    I'm a non believer with Albies at SS. His range is likely perfectly fine to put there, but his throwing motion is too weird for it. If they weren't so concerned about it, I think we would've already seen a game or two with him playing it.
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory Mad Dog Murph's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    243 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I called Inciarte a platoon bat that was destined to be a 4th OFer by the end of his contract long ago.

I was lambasted for that opinion.

I was right...again. Carry on.

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mad Dog Murph For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (08-02-2018), Garmel (08-01-2018), JohnAdcox (08-01-2018), Metaphysicist (08-01-2018), mfree80 (08-01-2018), NYCBrave (08-01-2018)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl View Post
    I'm a non believer with Albies at SS. His range is likely perfectly fine to put there, but his throwing motion is too weird for it. If they weren't so concerned about it, I think we would've already seen a game or two with him playing it.
    You might be right but don’t forget twitner won’t tinker with player’s positions unless asked. Jo-gun and wonder twin will just fill in where a guy needs a day off. If you are asking twit to go beyond that, then he will need a detailed diagram on what to do.
    Coppy