Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: GDT 8/4 Braves (Gausman) @ Mets (Wheeler)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,324 Posts
    This ****hole bullpen of the Mets have shut us out for 7 innings in this series.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,704 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wowbobwow View Post
    I am not as convinced as everyone else that these Phillies are gonna fade. They seem like they are for real to me, and I think we could see this race go right to the wire
    I'm starting to waiver. I'm pretty worried about our 4-game nat series at the moment though

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garmel View Post
    This ****hole bullpen of the Mets have shut us out for 7 innings in this series.
    Even better, at certain points in the wins, everyone in a row was retired in order. This has been a ****ty series for the offense and the regression I was afraid of after 24 runs.
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    829 Posts
    I am not as convinced as everyone else that these Phillies are gonna fade. They seem like they are for real to me, and I think we could see this race go right to the wire
    Unfortunately, that "race to the wire" may be between the Phillies and Nats.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    I've been pretty steadfast that while they've been slightly lucky, it hasn't been to the point in which you'd expect a crash, sadly. That's a good young team that is all grown up now and has learned how to win.
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,051 Posts
    The Phils were insanely lucky through the toughest part of their schedule and have beaten the teams they should have. It sucks but sometimes it's better to be lucky

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    The Phils were insanely lucky through the toughest part of their schedule and have beaten the teams they should have. It sucks but sometimes it's better to be lucky
    They actually were getting absolutely MURDERED to start out that stretch. Then suddenly, they started winning those games in the middle to the end of it and showed that they had learned and grown up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl View Post
    They actually were getting absolutely MURDERED to start out that stretch. Then suddenly, they started winning those games in the middle to the end of it and showed that they had learned and grown up.
    Alot has broken right for them this year. Nola has taken the next step and become an ace, and behind him Eflin, Pivetta, and Velazquez all look like really good arms they were able to develop. I don't remember any of those being top prospects. Then of course they paid up for Arrieta.

They also really haven't had to deal with any major injuries. Their whole staff have been healthy for the most part. Opposite of ours.

NL Rookie of the Year Acuña’s Bat Flip's Avatar
    Gaffney, South Carolina (Home of the Big Butt "Peach" on I-85)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    What a tough loss. I'm not panicking but we can't afford to lose those kinds of games. The last time I saw Wheeler pitch he didn't get out of the fifth inning at home vs. Philadelphia.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    They've been a little bit lucky, but like you i'm convinced they're pretty legit and this will come down to the end.

They have a good/top tier pen, solid rotation, and the offense is streaky and Kapler since the first couple weeks has been great with his BP management.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    A real possibility that we split the series with Teheran pitching tomorrow. Not ideal. The Mets are woefully bad.
    We're pretty lucky to win 2, tbh.

Were lucky to win vs DeGrom, and the first game Mets had multiple chances to add another run or two.

Julio has been real good in Citi, he has a 2.2 ERA in Citi in 11 starts but yeah who knows what Julio shows up. Braves offense needs to pound Oswalt, no excuses.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    They've been a little bit lucky, but like you i'm convinced they're pretty legit and this will come down to the end.

They have a good/top tier pen, solid rotation, and the offense is streaky and Kapler since the first couple weeks has been great with his BP management.
    I think that's another lucky aspect of the Phillies this year. They've been able to develop some bullpen pieces that have become nearly elite this year.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Philly currently has the 12th best run differential in baseball. They have a **** offense that's bottom 5 in the NL and bottom 10 overall. They are absolutely getting lucky. Unless their offense suddenly becomes top 10, they will fade.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Philly currently has the 12th best run differential in baseball. They have a **** offense that's bottom 5 in the NL and bottom 10 overall. They are absolutely getting lucky. Unless their offense suddenly becomes top 10, they will fade.
    No they're not getting so lucky you should be expecting them to really fade. Pythagorean W/L is in the margin of error you can expect.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl View Post
    No they're not getting so lucky you should be expecting them to really fade. Pythagorean W/L is in the margin of error you can expect.
    They won't fade into a below .500 team, no. But they're more like an 81-85 win team than the 90+ win team that they're pacing right now. I'm still more worried about Washington than Philly. Washington has been very unlucky.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    They won't fade into a below .500 team, no. But they're more like an 81-85 win team than the 90+ win team that they're pacing right now. I'm still more worried about Washington than Philly. Washington has been very unlucky.
    Sorry, but Pythagorean even still has them at pacing at 87 wins. I hate doing this, but they really are legit this year.

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,812 Posts
    Welp
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    They have two things will keep them afloat, a legit BP, and solid rotation. Those give you a chance to win every game.

I hate Philly too but they're not as lucky as yall are making it seem they are.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USMA76 View Post
    Unfortunately, that "race to the wire" may be between the Phillies and Nats.
    Yeah a team that's 6 games back and just barely got over .500 is going to do something.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,522 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Yeah a team that's 6 games back and just barely got over .500 is going to do something.
    You keep writing them off like 6 games with 2 months to play is insurmountable for a team with their talent. I don’t think they’re going to run away from the Braves, but they can certainly win this division.