Quote Originally Posted by wowbobwow View Post
If the same gun is not being used in every single one of those reports you are referencing, then those numbers are unreliable for comparisons. Minor league velo reports are incosistent, at best, and generally shouldn't be trusted to compare from source to source. If it's the same source every single time, then that's one thing...but sounds like a pretty uncontrolled study to me... Regardless, your basic premise that he might've been overthrowing is as good of a theory as I've heard yet. The extra adrenaline alone might've been enough to bump his arm speed a couple mph.
Well hell, all I can tell you is the reports on his velocity were in one band for the first few years of his career and then this year the reports were that he was throwing harder.

I don't have access to reliable minor league data on pitch velocities beyond what is reported on twitter, so I would agree that you shouldn't present my observations in a scientific paper or call me as an expert on the matter at trial.

My best guess though is he was throwing a little bit harder this year.

I have no idea what his throwing regiment was before or after he got to Atlanta so I'll totally bow out on that one. Could be.

I think shoulder injuries are probably pretty random though rather than some systematic defect in a team's approach. Also just a guess.