Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will Touki Get the Call?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,051 Posts

Will Touki Get the Call?

The Braves have stated they really want to go with a 6 man rotation for the foreseeable future as they're in a stretch of playing so many games with so few days off and it's late in the season when pitchers can use the rest. The plan was to have Fried be that 6th pitcher. However, he's now on the DL with a groin strain.

I was listening to Kevin McCalpin on 680 the Fan in Atlanta this morning and his take is that the Braves still want to stick with a 6 man rotation. After Allard's less than inspiring start and Snit coming out and saying that he's probably not ready, it's unlikely Allard gets the 6th spot. The guy McCalpin thinks might get the call is Touki.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Is McCarthy not coming back?

Honestly, we could use to replace Julion as well.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Calling Touki up makes a lot of sense. I'm sort of against it as he's been progressing so well in the minors, but I feel like he just needs to be thrown in the fire as well. His stuff is good enough to play anywhere.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    I think a Touki call up is imminent at this point. He could help out tremendously in the bullpen or as our 6th starter, and honestly I'm just ready to see the guy up.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    In that one day with Fried going on the DL and Allard kooking it Touki's stock shot up.

I think he'd be the most logical choice now if we need another starter and I would have never thought I'd say that this year.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Chico For This Useful Post:

Jaw (08-08-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    In that one day with Fried going on the DL and Allard kooking it Touki's stock shot up.

I think he'd be the most logical choice now if we need another starter and I would have never thought I'd say that this year.
    Neither would I. It's insane. Gohara's issues (though it's not all his fault) are changing things a lot. I think he was part of the plan this year and it just hasn't happened.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    We need a starter either Sunday or Monday. Need the starter for Sunday if they want to give Newcomb an extra day of rest and go Newcomb/Folty in the Monday doubleheader. Or you keep Newcomb on normal rest to start Sunday and you need someone to start a game in the doubleheader with Folty.

Touki staying on his normal schedule would mean he starts on Friday in Gwinnett, so it's not crazy to just give him a few more days off and call him up for the start. Hopefully that's what happens.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    Neither would I. It's insane. Gohara's issues (though it's not all his fault) are changing things a lot. I think he was part of the plan this year and it just hasn't happened.
    Agreed. I mentlaly gave Gohara a mulligan to start the season after his offseason, but yes if he was on track it would be much different.

Soroka, Gohara, Fried, Allard all doing nothing for us right now. It seems like every time you talk about a pitching surplus reality shows you there is no such thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Agreed. I mentlaly gave Gohara a mulligan to start the season after his offseason, but yes if he was on track it would be much different.

Soroka, Gohara, Fried, Allard all doing nothing for us right now. It seems like every time you talk about a pitching surplus reality shows you there is no such thing.
    I'd disagree with Fried. I know he's had injuries, but he's been highly productive nearly every time he's given a shot -- whether it's starting or in the BP. The others are definitely correct.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    I'd disagree with Fried. I know he's had injuries, but he's been highly productive nearly every time he's given a shot -- whether it's starting or in the BP. The others are definitely correct.
    Fried has done well.

I'm just saying since he's on the DL he has no value to us right now. It just shows how quick you can lose depth via injury or ineffectiveness.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    What happened to Gohara? I see he hasn't pitched since 7/29?

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    What happened to Gohara? I see he hasn't pitched since 7/29?
    Minor league injuries are always very secretive, but someone said shoulder soreness.

I suspect Touki is going to get the call in some capacity considering that Snitker said Allard is probably not ready after game 1 yesterday. Either Sunday or in the doubleheader Monday. His Friday start in Gwinnett will be something to watch...if it's only an inning or his start gets cancelled, he's coming. If not, then we're seeing Allard again.
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    620 Posts
    No way we see Allard again for awhile.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Gohara is down with shoulder issues again, so if the Braves want to use a 6 man rotation Touki is certainly an option.

His IP limit is probably in the 180 range this year, and he is currently sitting at 117. Those 60 IP could easily cover 10 starts, so he should be fine to finish out the year from a workload management perspective.

Wright probably isn't ready, and the only other option is Wilson. Wilson's IP cap is probably around the same as Touki's, and he is currently at 108. He also has plenty of workload room left.

I'd be mildly surprised if we don't see Touki join the MLB rotation within the next week.

Spring Training Invitee Chipper's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    I hope so. I expected both Soroka and Gohara to be in the rotation at this point. Good thing Folty and Newk took a step forward, otherwise we'd be in a race for the #1 pick.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts

And yet, drivel like this keeps getting written: https://www.talkingchop.com/2018/8/8...atlanta-braves

Adding reality to their silly list folks love to read and drool over...

Julio Teheran, 28, MLB - back end SP that has zero trade value, rotation fixture for 2019
    Mike Foltynewicz, 27, MLB - rotation fixture for 2019
    Sean Newcomb, 26, MLB - rotation fixture for 2019
    Kevin Gausman, 28, MLB - rotation fixture for 2019
    Mike Soroka, 21, MLB - will need significant time in AAA in 2019
    Max Fried, 25, MLB - in the mix for spots 5-7 in the 2019 rotation
    Luiz Gohara, 22, MLB - fat, injured, was already almost traded a couple weeks ago
    Kolby Allard, 21, MLB - not an MLB SP
    Kyle Wright, 23, AAA - needs significant time in AAA in 2019, could be in spots 5-7 later in the season
    Touki Toussaint, 23, AAA - in the mix for spots 5-7 in the 2019 rotation
    Bryse Wilson, 21, AAA - in the mix for spots 5-7 in the 2019 rotation

So that's 4 guys (Teheran, Folty, Newk, Gausman) who are a lock for the 2019 rotation, 3 guys (Fried, Touki, Wilson) who are solid candidates to fill spots 5-7 at the beginning of the season, 3 guys (Soroka, Gohara, Wright) who need to spend significant time in AAA to develop and/or get healthy, and 1 guy (Allard) who doesn't belong anywhere near a contending rotation.

They have 11 names on that list. Guess how many guys have made a start for the Braves so far in 2018?

11....and that number is going to be 12 within the next week.

Bottom line is that there is no pitching surplus. Young controlled pitching is certainly a strength, but it's not like they are pushing each other off the boat to make room. It might make sense to trade pitching this off season (and it will probably happen), but clearing a logjam is not the reason it needs to happen.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 08-08-2018 at 12:08 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Not discounting any of the rest of your point, but interested in your thinking on just one point (and not arguing with you, just curious):

Why do you think Soroka needs significant time in AAA in 2019?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Not discounting any of the rest of your point, but interested in your thinking on just one point (and not arguing with you, just curious):

Why do you think Soroka needs significant time in AAA in 2019?
    Because he had a season ending shoulder injury in 2018 after throwing a total of 55 IP. I doubt he will even be able to handle a full 180 IP workload in 2019. Soroka can easily spend 1-2 months in AAA to knock off the rust and keep his innings total low.

I'm almost positive some pitching will be traded this off season, but it isn't because of a log jam forcing guys out. AA has consistently shown he values depth tremendously with pitchers, and he clearly took that idea from his time with the Dodgers. If you ever find yourself wondering what AA will do, it's probably best to think "what would the Dodgers do?" as your starting point.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Chico (08-08-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Because he had a season ending shoulder injury in 2018 after throwing a total of 55 IP. I doubt he will even be able to handle a full 180 IP workload in 2019. Soroka can easily spend 1-2 months in AAA to knock off the rust and keep his innings total low.

I'm almost positive some pitching will be traded this off season, but it isn't because of a log jam forcing guys out. AA has consistently shown he values depth tremendously with pitchers, and he clearly took that idea from his time with the Dodgers. If you ever find yourself wondering what AA will do, it's probably best to think "what would the Dodgers do?" as your starting point.
    Ok, I see that. I'd been assuming he'd start in MLB if healthy, but I can see easing him into it. Especially if he's had a setback to his schedule.

I don't think we've actually heard anything about him since he went on the DL.

I think perhaps he should be rehabbing by now under their timetable.

Have you seen anything that references whether they shut him down after the shoulder still was bothering him? All I've seen is Bowman's vague -- he's probably not pitching again this season.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    No idea what Soroka is doing.

Shoulder injuries are scary. They should be exercising extreme caution, especially after he didn't bounce back with his short DL stint.