Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building a Bench for 2014

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts

Building a Bench for 2014

Depth is very important over the course of a 162 game season. We just have to look at the past season to see how crucial it is to build a strong bench, actually two strong benches since in a lot of ways the AAA team is our second bench.

The disappointing seasons by Uggla and BJ Upton opened up playing time for Schafer and Pena. Both made major contributions in the first half before getting injured. Pena's injury put him out for the season and Schafer was not the same after he got back.

But the real lifesaver on our bench was Evan Gattis. With Heyward, BJ Upton, Freeman and McCann having stints on the DL (and backups Schafer, Laird and Pena also had periods on the DL), Gattis ended up hitting 21 home runs in 382 at bats. It is rare to have that kind of production from a bench player. What Gattis did last year illustrates the importance of having one or two high upside bats in reserve. Injuries and under-performances by players counted on as starters happen just about every year. You have to plan on a backup having to step up and play a major role.

How does the bench currently look? Let's start by assuming only players under contractual control are under consideration. I do this as a starting point and to illustrate the weaknesses we currently have that should be addressed by acquiring someone not currently under contractual control. I will also assume that Dan Uggla will not be part of the team in 2014.

So what kind of bench do we currently have?

Laird is the backup catcher. I believe Schafer and Reed Johnson will return as reserve outfielders. They are a good lefty-righty duo who can fill in at all three outfield positions. That leaves room for two, one of which needs to be an infielder who can back up Simmons at short.

With the players currently under control, it looks like La Stella, Pena, Pastornicky, Elliot Johnson and Janish will compete for the second base job and the two remaining reserve spots. I think the first three have a leg up over Johnson and Janish and as things currently stand would be the ones on the team at the end of spring training. Pena is a decent shortstop and Pastornicky can play there too though he would be a below average defender. So we would be covered defensively in terms of having a backup shortstop.

My main concern with this scenario is the lack of a power bat on the bench and the lack of a player with significant upside who can give us some real production if he gets 400 or so at bats.

Let's look at the second bench in AAA to see if there is someone who can provide that sort of contribution. There are actually two players likely to be in Gwinnett that have shown some power. Terdoslavich and Mejia. Joey T's power disappeared at the major league level after hitting 18 home runs in Gwinnett. I'm not overly alarmed by that because he seems to be a player who needs a little time to adjust to each new level. I think once he gets back to the majors we'll see more power out of him, though not the type he showed in Gwinnett. Mejia is less likely to make a contribution at the ML level for three reasons. One is age (he will be 28 next year). Another is he has a long swing with a lot of swing and miss to it. That will be even more problematic at the major league level. Finally, he can only play first. The only scenario I could see him helping in is if Freeman went down and even then he would probably be second choice after Terdoslavich.

If La Stella and Pastornicky make the major league team, we will not have much infield depth in Gwinnett. Outfield depth looks better. In addition to Terdoslavich, Cunningham and Constanza (I think he has one more option) will be in the Gwinnett outfield.

Bethancourt will likely start the season in Gwinnett at catcher. I know he showed some improvement with the bat in his second AA season, but imo his bat is not ready for the majors and he would really benefit from spending at least half a season in AAA. He is obviously a good guy to have as an option to call up later in the season from Gwinnett.

So what is the bottom line? I think we really need to get a player whose acquisition would have the effect of giving us more punch on the bench. This would push one of Pastornicky or La Stella to AAA, but imo that would be a good thing given the very thin situation when it comes to infielders for our "second bench" in AAA.

The player we acquire might be a starter or reserve. If he is a starter, he could contribute to the bench by pushing a stronger bat to the bench. For example if we get a starting second baseman, La Stella might be a bench player and he would probably be our best hitter coming off the bench. Another possibility is signing McCann, which would allow Gattis to reprise his 2013 role. Or we could simply sign someone with a good track record hitting off the bench. In recent years, we've seen teams fill their bench with some guys who used to be regulars but due to age or injury issues were no longer considered everyday players. Ibanez is an example. Eric Chavez is another. I think those kinds of players are who we should be thinking about.

It should be noted that having both Reed Johnson and Schafer on the bench means we aren't able to pick up someone who is a pure outfielder for the role discussed above. We can't go for say a Marlon Byrd. That's too many outfielders unless we don't bring Reed back (and I think it is pretty likely we will pick Reed's option up). So the candidates for adding punch to the bench have to be someone who can play at least one non-outfield position.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 10-26-2013 at 12:33 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

thethe (10-26-2013)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    (1) I don't think they should pick up Reed Johnson's contract.

(2) I wish Terdoslavich were a better fielder, but I think he's a good back-up at 1B, LF, and RF and as a switch-hitter adds some value. Hopefully he can develop into a good pinch-hitter.

(3) Mejia shouldn't be on the 40-man roster over the winter.

(4) I think it would be wise to scour the waiver wire, low-level free agency list, and 6-year minor free agency list for middle IF candidates. We have a nice little stable of guys, but another couple of candidates wouldn't hurt. Although he doesn't play SS or 2B, I like the Chavez suggestion.

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    I think Omar Infante would be a fantastic pickup for us. I also think Terd is going to turn out to be a big part of our bench next year as well. He does take a little time to adjust to a higher level, and I think his experience this year will help him tremendously next year.

1. Gerald Laird
    2. Omar Infante
    3. Joey Terdoslavich
    4. Ramiro Pena
    5. Jordan Schafer

That gives us two righties, two switch hitters and a lefty and a bunch of versatility.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to skillet For This Useful Post:

Krovahn (10-26-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    (1) I don't think they should pick up Reed Johnson's contract.

(2) I wish Terdoslavich were a better fielder, but I think he's a good back-up at 1B, LF, and RF and as a switch-hitter adds some value. Hopefully he can develop into a good pinch-hitter.

(3) Mejia shouldn't be on the 40-man roster over the winter.

(4) I think it would be wise to scour the waiver wire, low-level free agency list, and 6-year minor free agency list for middle IF candidates. We have a nice little stable of guys, but another couple of candidates wouldn't hurt. Although he doesn't play SS or 2B, I like the Chavez suggestion.
    I agree with your first point. I wrote the front office was likely to bring Reed back, but that's not something I would do. Imo Terdoslavich offers more than Reed, except the veteran leadership part. But Gonzalez and Wren love Reed and are likely to bring him back. Just like they kept bringing back guys like Hinske and Diaz.

I'm ok with keeping Mejia on the 40-man. There are not too many we need to add to it (I'd add Poveda and Obispo). I suspect Martinez, Gosselin and Janish will be moved off the 40-man.

We do need some infielders for Gwinnett. We can gamble that Elliot Johnson would accept assignment, but you never know what will happen in those types of situations. Chavez would be a fantastic left-handed bat to have on the bench. He could back up third and first.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skillet View Post
    I think Omar Infante would be a fantastic pickup for us. I also think Terd is going to turn out to be a big part of our bench next year as well. He does take a little time to adjust to a higher level, and I think his experience this year will help him tremendously next year.

1. Gerald Laird
    2. Omar Infante
    3. Joey Terdoslavich
    4. Ramiro Pena
    5. Jordan Schafer

That gives us two righties, two switch hitters and a lefty and a bunch of versatility.
    Infante is going to get a great contract to be a starting second baseman somewhere. Is he backing up La Stella in your scenario?

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Infante is going to get a great contract to be a starting second baseman somewhere. Is he backing up La Stella in your scenario?
    La Stella will, or at least should, be our starting 2nd baseman next year, but I would have Omar make some starts there, especially against tough lefties, but he would also spell Chris at 3rd, and all the outfield (Jason would start in center when he starts for BJ). That would give him at least 350-400 at-bats or more. But you may be right, he may well get a big contract to be someone's starting 2nd baseman.
    Last edited by skillet; 10-26-2013 at 01:02 PM.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    I doubt very seriously that Infante is even a remote possibility. Pena should get first dibs if healthy. Think they will sign a LH hitting catcher. Fredi may be slow but he does learn. Bethancourt will go to AAA. Three catchers is very valuable but 1 has to hit LH. Third catcher if competent also obviates need for 5th OF. Heyward can move off the corner and Gattis goes back to LF in a pinch.

So:

My bench:
    Laird
    LH Hittinc catcher/pinch hitter
    Pena
    LaStella/Uggla if Uggla cant be moved
    Any OFer not named Shafer or Constanza (Probably Terdo if he isnt traded)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Pena
    Terdo
    Schafer
    Laird
    ?

Would be my bench at this moment.

I agree with ncaspi that Infante will get a bigger deal elsewhere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    It is not unusual for the top bench player on a team to get over 300 ABs or even over 400 ABs. Over the past ten years, the Braves have benefited enormously from having guys like Prado, Infante and Gattis do this without losing much if anything offensively. Whenever he puts his bench together, a GM should ask if there is a player on the bench he is comfortable giving that many at bats to.

It is also important to have a player who can move around several positions. This player doesn't have to be a bench player. It could be a starter like Zobrist. Having a positionally versatile player like that makes your bench play longer (even if that player is a starter). We've had Prado and Infante do this for us, and in a different way Gattis did this as well last year. If the player you're going to move around is a starter, you need to make sure that the backup at his usual position is someone you are comfortable giving a lot of at bats to.

Wren has some work to do to get the right balance, both from a hitting perspective and from the perspective of having flexibility to move people around. Right now I don't see someone like Prado or Infante who can play infield or outfield. If Gattis is our starting catcher and also still the guy who is going to get moved around as needed, are we comfortable with Laird getting a lot more at bats? I don't think so. Maybe Terdoslavich can do some of that since he can play first and corner outfield. He might end up being a very important player for us next year.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 10-26-2013 at 04:04 PM.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Pena
    Terdo
    Schafer
    Laird
    ?

Would be my bench at this moment.

I agree with ncaspi that Infante will get a bigger deal elsewhere.

No power!!!!!!!!

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    I think the bench on this team is the one thing that is already set. Laird will be your backup catcher, Schafer and Reed Johnson your spare outfielders, and Ramiro Pena and Elliot Johnson your reserve infielders. I think only injuries probably change that.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I doubt Omar Infante will sign a contract with a team that plans to use him as a back-up. Curious to see what the demand for him will be, but my guess is he wouldn't be interested in being a bench guy (although a key bench guy) and that his contract demands would be such that it wouldn't be a good investment for the Braves to give him the kind of money he'll be seeking to assume a bench role.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    First I want to say that Schafer and Pena are not likely to repeat next year what they did this year. Schafer came crashing down to earth after a good start and he is captain "he just wasnt the same after the injury". It took him what, 5 years to come back from a wrist injury? He was BJ-esque in the last 2 months. The injury didnt stop him, he was never going to sustain what he was doing. I still like him as a 4th outfielder as he brings defense and speed to the team. He cant hit LH pitching to save his life but is halfway decent vs RH pitching. Pena is much the same, he had some big hits and was good in a small sample size but he was coming back to earth before his injury. He also brings defense and positional versatility to the team and despite being a switch hitter he hits LH pitching about as well as I do. Fredi seemed to like him a lot before he went down and I expect him to be on the opening day roster if healthy.

Power off the bench is something that usually comes from the farm system because if they could do anything else decently along with hitting for power they would be starting for someone. Really all I want from bench players is the ability to hit for a decent average and walk a little. When they come in to pinch hit we usually just need them to get on base or hit a single. I like Terdoslavich and I think he will hit for more power with experience.

One guy I really want to see on this team next year is Norichicka Aoki of the Brewers. The Brewers are going nowhere and Aoki is only signed for 1 more year. He doesnt play CF defensively well enough to play there full time and he doesnt have the power you want out of a corner outfielder. However he has hit .285 with a .355 OBP in both of his seasons in the majors and he can stole 50 bases in those 2 seasons combined. He also struck out only 40 times. 15 less times than he walked. He would be great BJ insurance in case he doesnt recover. He is not a platoon hitter either. Considering his proximity to free agency I think someone like Hale would be a good trade for the Brewers. 1 year of a very good 4th outfielder for 6 years of a #4/5 starter.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (10-27-2013)

Awaiting a Promotion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    They brewers are not going to trade Aoki for Hale.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    There is no reason to carry Schafer if Reed is on the club. Reed can play CF, and so can Heyward. If Reed is going to be on the bench (and I think he should be), then Wren needs to find a legit LHed hitter for the bench.

My bench:

Laird
    Pena
    Reed
    LHed hitter
    Terdo/Pastor/whoever

Guys like Constanza, Janish, EJ and Schafer can be extra help down at AAA.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Focusing on the bench:

Trade Laird for salary relief. Go Gattis/Bethancourt behind the plate.

Pick up Reed's option. He is one of the best off the bench against lefties when healthy. Can also play CF.

Trade Schafer.

Trade for Seth Smith. We need someone off the bench who can hit a RHP. He will also be playing for a contract.

Bethancourt, Reed, EJ, Pena, Smith

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Trade Laird and his $1.5M salary for salary relief? Huh?

If EJ is on the 25 man roster opening day that means Wren failed this offseason.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Trade Laird and his $1.5M salary for salary relief? Huh?

If EJ is on the 25 man roster opening day that means Wren failed this offseason.

What I meant is not to worry what you are getting for Laird, he is just being traded to make up for Reed's option.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skidlee View Post
    They brewers are not going to trade Aoki for Hale.
    Okay so we add more to the deal. The Brewers are looking to move Braun to RF and start Khris Davis in left so Aoki isnt even a starter for the Brewers anymore. Surely we could entice them with some cheap pitching for what amounts to 1 year of Aoki.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Awaiting a Promotion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Okay so we add more to the deal. The Brewers are looking to move Braun to RF and start Khris Davis in left so Aoki isnt even a starter for the Brewers anymore. Surely we could entice them with some cheap pitching for what amounts to 1 year of Aoki.
    why is he not a starter anymore? He has done nothing but produce when given the chance.