Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: GDT 8-16-18 RETURN OF THE NIGHT OF THE JULIO...AND THE ACUNA THING LIVES.......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulavol View Post
    After sleeping that one off, I have a positive take- yes, we blew one with Dansby’s error. But that is baseball. Those things even out over 162 games. However the Julio looked great- again. I also really like what Snit had to say about pen usage and this marathon stretch we are on. Basically- if you didn’t see it- we can’t win em all and can’t afford to burn pitchers in every game. He is clearly looking at this as a war and sometimes we will lose battles. Further, offense hit a bunch of balls hard and got babipd. I am good with that.
    Tonight is the Foltyville Horror.
    That's tomorrow. Tonight is the game where clv and enscheff go back and forth on who is right about newcomb

2. The Following User Says Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (08-17-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulavol View Post
    After sleeping that one off, I have a positive take- yes, we blew one with Dansby’s error. But that is baseball. Those things even out over 162 games. However the Julio looked great- again. I also really like what Snit had to say about pen usage and this marathon stretch we are on. Basically- if you didn’t see it- we can’t win em all and can’t afford to burn pitchers in every game. He is clearly looking at this as a war and sometimes we will lose battles. Further, offense hit a bunch of balls hard and got babipd. I am good with that.
    Tonight is the Foltyville Horror.
    generally I agree with what Snit said....but there does come a point where you start riding your best or hottest guys harder including getting 4 or 5 out saves from your closer...we are approaching that point
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

4. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-17-2018)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Yeah, we just won five in a row and looked good doing it. No worries.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Yeah, we just won five in a row and looked good doing it. No worries.
    We looked good for 5 games and 8 innings.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,508 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    the phillies lost 24-4 to the mets yesterday.
    teams lose games.
    Right. I’d rather lose a game like this than get flat out embarrassed like that.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-17-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,508 Posts
    And, IIRC, this is the first time all year that we’ve blown a lead in the 9th and lost.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-17-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    Dansby needs to ride the pine for a few. I can't fathom how you take a ball like that in the 9th in a one run game. No excuse.
    Definitely not overreacting here.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-17-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,048 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Definitely not overreacting here.
    I can take a guy simply booting a ball, having the ball sail on him, or screwing up while trying to make a good play. What I can't stand is seeing guys screw up because they took a play too casually.

Dansby half assed a play in the top of the 9th in a one run game against a good offense on a night when our closer wasn't available. To me this is similar to Ender not running the ball out against the Brewers.

Not starting for a day or two isn't going to hurt Swanson (or us really considering how he's hit this year).

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,987 Posts
    I can take a guy simply booting a ball, having the ball sail on him, or screwing up while trying to make a good play. What I can't stand is seeing guys screw up because they took a play too casually.

Dansby half assed a play in the top of the 9th in a one run game against a good offense on a night when our closer wasn't available. To me this is similar to Ender not running the ball out against the Brewers.

Not starting for a day or two isn't going to hurt Swanson (or us really considering how he's hit this year).
    You do realize without Bae's double and subsequent run scored earlier in the game, the 9th inning error is irrelevant right?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts

LOL...

Swanson tried to backhand a ball he probably should have got in front of, and booted it. It was pretty hard hit, so he likely didn't think he could get in front of it in time. You are saying that's the same amount of laziness as not running a ball out? Those events are equivalent in your simple mind?

Further, Ender was not benched for subsequent days after his lazy play, but you want Swanson on the bench for multiple games as punishment? This suggests you think Swanson booting a grounder is a worse transgression?

Nah, you definitely aren't being your typically over emotional self haha. I really hope you don't have the power to affect anyone's real life with your irrational responses to everything.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 08-17-2018 at 12:32 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,048 Posts
    LOL...

Swanson tried to backhand a ball he probably should have got in front of, and booted it. It was pretty hard hit, so he likely didn't think he could get in front of it in time. You are saying that's the same amount of laziness as not running a ball out? Those events are equivalent in your simple mind?

Further, Ender was not benched for subsequent days after his lazy play, but you want Swanson on the bench for multiple games as punishment? This suggests you think Swanson booting a grounder is a worse transgression?

Nah, you definitely aren't being your typically over emotional self haha. I really hope you don't have the power to affect anyone's real life with your irrational responses to everything.
    First, you're committing the fallacy of the ad hominem. I've decided to respond to the more inflammatory stuff you say on here by simply stating what logical fallacy you're engaging in.

I think Swanson played it off the to side a bit and tried to back hand it because he's a good short stop who usually makes that play. It takes less effort to play it like he did than to play fundamentally sound baseball but it's also a riskier play. It's a bad habit that Swanson usually gets away with.

As for Ender, he wasn't benched subsequent days because he was benched after that half inning. Swanson's mistake was in the 9th so benching him after the half inning would have been meaningless.

I don't suggest Swanson's transgression was worse. I think they were pretty similar. Both are cases where a bad habit that requires less effort and that usually doesn't cause a problem happened to come up and bite them.

I'll also say that if Swanson made that mistake in the third inning it wouldn't be nearly as bad, even if it led to 3 runs and cost us the game. A mental lapse on a play like that in the third inning is one thing. Playing a ball like that in a one run game in the 9th against that Rockies offense with our closer unavailable is something else.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Once again, the irrational application of subjectively assigning a "context penalty" based on how emotional you are at the time of the perceived transgression.

Got it. Thanks for the clarification.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,048 Posts
    Once again, the irrational application of subjectively assigning a "context penalty" based on how emotional you are at the time of the perceived transgression.

It's unreasonable to expect players to be at the absolute top of their game 100% of the time. They're going to be times when players will play lackadaisically or approach a play with less than best effort. They're human. It happens. I can forgive it.

It's not unreasonable to expect players to avoid these kinds of mistakes in certain situations. In a one run game in the 9th against a good offense, you should probably expect your infielders to be on their toes and being upset when they do what Swanson did is a legitimate reaction.

If you work in an office and one of your employees goofs off a bit on a Friday afternoon, it's no big deal. If that same employee goofs off during a presentation to an important client, that is a problem. Total, laser focus all the time is an unreasonable expectation. Laser focus in certain situations can be expected. Context matters.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    487 Posts

Context is part of the equation and should not be ignored. To declare it always irrational and always based solely on emotion is not really rational.

Now, the discussion about what the context means and to what extent it should be considered is the source of many of life's biggest arguments. It certainly adds an element of subjectivity that complicates it, but does not render it meaningless. Not every question can be boiled down to a number.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    Context is part of the equation and should not be ignored. To declare it always irrational and always based solely on emotion is not really rational.

Now, the discussion about what the context means and to what extent it should be considered is the source of many of life's biggest arguments. It certainly adds an element of subjectivity that complicates it, but does not render it meaningless. Not every question can be boiled down to a number.
    The context here is that striker once again threw an emotional hissy fit when his favorite team lost a game due in part to an error.

You know it. I know it. Striker knows it.

He’s now trying his hardest to justify his “bench him for 2 games” comment to avoid admitting he routinely acts like an emotional 14 year old going through puberty, or a pumpkin faced imbecile.

Defend whatever he is saying all you want. It doesn’t change the fact that calling for Swanson to be benched for that error is moronic.

In life, I want intelligent people making decisions based on rational thought, not emotional outbursts. I think we’ve seen enough of that the last year and change.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 08-17-2018 at 03:35 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,508 Posts
    I don’t think Swanson was being lackadaisical. In fact, I think it was the opposite. I think he just stupidly tried to rush the play due to a fast runner when he didn’t need to.

NL Rookie of the Year Acuña’s Bat Flip's Avatar
    Gaffney, South Carolina (Home of the Big Butt "Peach" on I-85)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    At the end of the day, they’re just losses and they happen to every team.
    At the end of the day I'd rather lose a game than lose Minter to overusage, obviously. I don't get the narrative that "we had a chance to steal one", if we were playing the Red Sox and that happened sure but we know we can beat the Rockies. We let one get away but I don't think the Rockies are sweeping us at home. It just sucks because I felt like we had astronomical odds of winning that Facebook game in Washington had our starter not gotten hurt. Oh well, it's about how we respond now. Also just for the record I don't have my spears out ready to scalp Dansby either, errors happen.
    Last edited by Acuña’s Bat Flip; 08-17-2018 at 04:06 PM.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    Minter has an injury history and was pretty babied in the minors due to it, it makes sense how his usage has been even as people have thrown fire on it, they've just been slowly unleashing him to pitching more and more instead of suddenly putting it on him. Actually, the last time he tried to pitch 3 games in 4 days (but it was with a day off), his command was noticeably down and he blew the save.
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeorgiaGirl For This Useful Post:

Acuña’s Bat Flip (08-17-2018), jpx7 (08-17-2018)