Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ureña suspended

Creepy Lurking Stalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    I don’t see why the players, managers, and owners can’t see how this nonsense is counterproductive to having a competetive entertainment business. You can’t needlessly risk losing exciting players over temper tantrums on the mound. Serious suspensions need to start being imposed. If not this season then next.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to IAJon For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-17-2018)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippyjms View Post
    I don’t like it. A 6 game suspension for a starting pitcher either an extra day or two of rest between starts or worst case skipping 1 start. Not much of a punishment if you ask me
    This is where I am at. At most one start... pretty light.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Cell View Post
    ehhhhh.... I wouldnt agree ith this. Puerto Rico for instance has seen youth move away from Baseball to other sports.
    Puerto Rico is way more Americanized than basically any other carribean island/country/territory.

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Six games is far too light, imo. Ureña might not even miss a start. If a non-pitcher is suspended six games, he actually misses six games. A 25-30 game suspension seems appropriate to me. Then he would have missed about six starts. If MLB continues to give out these minor punishments, they will never stop or reduce the head (or elbow) hunting. This was a perfect chance to show that MLB was serious about protecting players, especially its young exciting stars, but it failed. Ureña may be serving his suspension when we see the Marlins next, but there is always next season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    510 Posts
    Manfred should just invite him to New York and shake his damn hand.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I waned him to get the guillotine but then that might be a little irrational
    Castration.

It will take the aggression out of him.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Horsehide Harry For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-17-2018)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,756 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IAJon View Post
    I don’t see why the players, managers, and owners can’t see how this nonsense is counterproductive to having a competetive entertainment business. You can’t needlessly risk losing exciting players over temper tantrums on the mound. Serious suspensions need to start being imposed. If not this season then next.
    On the other hand... it led to a national discussion and a heck of a lot of attention.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-17-2018)

NL Rookie of the Year Acuña’s Bat Flip's Avatar
    Gaffney, South Carolina (Home of the Big Butt "Peach" on I-85)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    That is not nearly enough games!

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Eric Young also suspended 1 game and fined
    Speaking of the Young family (going off topic for a bit), I see Eric, Jr., is seeing playing time with the Angels.

As for this particular issue, I find myself at least partially agreeing with Enscheff in that MLB enforced its rules accurately in this instance. I get the argument that the current rules may not be stringent enough for something like this, but that's a different discussion.

PC, good to see you posting again. Sounds like things are still rough in Puerto Rico and I hope you are making out alright. Sorry to hear that kids are moving away from baseball on the island. If they are switching to soccer, it certainly can't be because baseball is too boring for them.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

Jaw (08-17-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    There's no doubt this one is getting more attention nationally because Acuna was actually hurt and had to leave the game right in the middle of being a big national story.

It's pretty easy to see why this one is getting more attention, and it is absolutely not just Braves fans talking about it, upset about it, or calling for the suspension.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    From what I've read, MLB was actually furious with Urena. The problem is that the player's union has MLB's hands tied. If they tried to suspend him 10 games the union would go berserk and the suspension would never stand. A 6 game suspension is about all you can get.

I think the reason people think this suspension is ridiculous even if it is in line with what other pitchers have gotten is because of how egregious it was. This wasn't a guy retaliating for one of his players getting hit. It wasn't a pitcher drilling someone for acting like an ass. It also wasn't a pitcher hitting a batter with something softer.

This was a pitcher who was mad because a player was single handedly destroying the pitcher's team so he throws one of his hardest ever fastballs with likely an intent to injure.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (08-17-2018), jpx7 (08-17-2018), Tapate50 (08-17-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    From what I've read, MLB was actually furious with Urena. The problem is that the player's union has MLB's hands tied. If they tried to suspend him 10 games the union would go berserk and the suspension would never stand. A 6 game suspension is about all you can get.

I think the reason people think this suspension is ridiculous even if it is in line with what other pitchers have gotten is because of how egregious it was. This wasn't a guy retaliating for one of his players getting hit. It wasn't a pitcher drilling someone for acting like an ass. It also wasn't a pitcher hitting a batter with something softer.

This was a pitcher who was mad because a player was single handedly destroying the pitcher's team so he throws one of his hardest ever fastballs with likely an intent to injure.
    Well said
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,709 Posts
    screw the suspension. wait till he pitches against us next year then throw at his head till we get him.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,709 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post

they will probably appeal no matter what. 6 games for a starter is like a 2 inning suspension for a position player. Just pushes his start back 2 games.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    they will probably appeal no matter what. 6 games for a starter is like a 2 inning suspension for a position player. Just pushes his start back 2 games.
    Urena will appeal, then drop the appeal the day before the Braves series next weekend. He's far too chicken**** to risk batting against the Braves (even though I don't think there would be retaliation this season).

Baseball needs to end this culture of using beanballs to enforce unwritten rules. And yes, you can probably search through my history here and other places and find instances where I've called for someone to get drilled. If so, I was wrong. With pitchers throwing near and above 100 mph at batters, its a matter of when, not if, baseball has a Calico Joe moment or worse. If a batter or team feels the need for physical justice, go out to the mound and beat the pitchers ass. Someone might get hurt and miss games, but no one will end up dead or a vegetable. To make sure this happens, the league needs to make the punishment more severe for players and managers for intentional beanball incidents.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    There's no doubt this one is getting more attention nationally because Acuna was actually hurt and had to leave the game right in the middle of being a big national story.

It's pretty easy to see why this one is getting more attention, and it is absolutely not just Braves fans talking about it, upset about it, or calling for the suspension.
    To wit, a national writer with an article currently at the of ESPN’s main page:

Precedents play a big part in the process. Baseball has doled out numerous suspensions for throwing at batters since 2000, when the league took over such matters from the old individual league offices. The length of most suspensions have tended to be in the range of four to six games -- typically five -- which for a starting pitcher is ostensibly one missed start.

There have been exceptions, with some pitchers receiving suspensions as long as 10 games. Ian Kennedy, Miguel Batista and Runelvys Hernandez all earned that penalty. Yordano Ventura was suspended nine games in 2015 for throwing at Brett Lawrie. In 2017, Hunter Strickland -- a reliever -- received a six-game penalty for throwing at Bryce Harper.

Simply put, Urena deserves more than six games. Fifteen games, I'd say. Maybe 20, if that is what it takes to cost him three starts. It's not just the egregious nature of this particular incident. And it's not because it was Acuna, because it really shouldn't matter who the hitter is who is getting thrown at. It's because it's time for baseball to draw a line in the sand and to set a new precedent for this type of incident. Let's see if, finally, we can put this tired practice to bed.
    Take note also of the several instances of suspensions longer than six games for throwing at a batter.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    To wit, a national writer with an article currently at the of ESPN’s main page:

Take note also of the several instances of suspensions longer than six games for throwing at a batter.
    In Ventura's case he and Machado actually threw punches. Machado was suspended for 4 games...for fighting. Ventura was suspended 9 games...for drilling Machado and for fighting. Those numbers match up perfectly with precedent.

I'm going to guess all other suspensions longer than 4-6 games involved similar actions in excess of hitting the batter.

But hey, don't let actual facts get in the way of a good irrational rant.

Applying rational thought to the situation allows one to understand why Urena was "only" suspended for 6 games at this point in time. At some point (possibly this off season) the MLBPA and MLB will have to get together and address this issue. The MLBPA can't defend pitchers at the expense of letting hitters potentially get injured for much longer, that's for sure.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 08-17-2018 at 01:05 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    I’m with Enscheff on this one. That is, the matter of suspension length.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    In Ventura's case he and Machado actually threw punches. Machado was suspended for 4 games...for fighting. Ventura was suspended 9 games...for drilling Machado and for fighting. Those numbers match up perfectly with precedent.

I'm going to guess all other suspensions longer than 4-6 games involved similar actions in excess of hitting the batter.

But hey, don't let actual facts get in the way of a good irrational rant.

Applying rational thought to the situation allows one to understand why Urena was "only" suspended for 6 games at this point in time. At some point (possibly this off season) the MLBPA and MLB will have to get together and address this issue. The MLBPA can't defend pitchers at the expense of letting hitters potentially get injured for much longer, that's for sure.
    Irrational or not, it’s still a lot more than Braves fans clamoring about the length of the suspension. And I still think ten days / two starts would’ve been fair, given how abjectly unnecessary and obviously intentional the pitch was; and I don’t think that’s so far outside precedent that you’d have seen union objection (especially since, as you note, they have hitters to protect as well as pitchers).
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Irrational or not, it’s still a lot more than Braves fans clamoring about the length of the suspension. And I still think ten days / two starts would’ve been fair, given how abjectly unnecessary and obviously intentional the pitch was; and I don’t think that’s so far outside precedent that you’d have seen union objection (especially since, as you note, they have hitters to protect as well as pitchers).
    Why is 10 days "fair" when Hamels was suspended 5 games for drilling Harper? Hamels literally said, "I was trying to hit him". How is what Urena did any more obviously intentional than that? Because some people think Harper "deserved it", or don't like Harper? Or is it because Acuna literally just got picked up in 100 national stories due to his HR streak the day before this happened, and writers want more clicks?

Again, folks are being irrational. If Hamels was suspended 5 games, and Urena was suspended 6 games, then Urena was punished worse for a lesser crime already. That will undoubtedly be his defense when he appeals, and will almost certainly be reduced to 5 games...and you all will cry about it again.

I'm guessing this will be addressed by the MLBPA and MLB this off season because baseballs traveling at 95+ mph need to stop being intentionally thrown at human beings. All but the most thick headed baseball dinosaurs can agree with that.

However, it's not an argument of "fair", which is what folks tend to fall back on in an emotional tirade..."it's not faaaaaair, waaaah!!".

"Fair" is following precedent and punishing Urena exactly as all other similar offenders have been punished. "Fair" is agreeing to a new set of punishments before the new punishment is doled out to future offenders.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 08-17-2018 at 01:24 PM.