Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Rasslin' Thread: Sponsored by the Oz Man

NL Rookie of the Year Acuña’s Bat Flip's Avatar
    Gaffney, South Carolina (Home of the Big Butt "Peach" on I-85)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts

Rasslin' Thread: Sponsored by the Oz Man

So it's SummerSlam weekend and I'm not really all that excited with WWE having a half-ass Raw Universal Champion in Bork Lesnar. I like NJPW (I read Nakamura may be going back when his WWE deal is up) also but I haven't watched Impact in forever but I've heard some good recent reviews. Just to be clear, this thread is for all of the Rasslin' promotions it just happens to be SummerSlam weekend.
    Last edited by Acuña’s Bat Flip; 08-17-2018 at 06:16 PM.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    I don’t watch Raw at all. I read the dirt sheets daily so I’m still up to date with what’s happening. I’ve thought that NXT takeovers are better shows than any non-Wrestlemania ppv in years.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Krgrecw For This Useful Post:

Acuña’s Bat Flip (08-18-2018), AerchAngel (04-05-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    I don’t watch Raw at all. I read the dirt sheets daily so I’m still up to date with what’s happening. I’ve thought that NXT takeovers are better shows than any non-Wrestlemania ppv in years.
    Let me know how NXT Brooklyn was when you watch it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    Chris Jericho, Jim Ross and the owner of the Jacksonville Jaguars are starting a new promotion called All Elite Wrestling, they are said to be in talks with some big networks like TNT. This will be interesting to keep an eye on.

http://www.prowrestlingsheet.com/eli.../#.XIA-T4hKjIW
    Last edited by Acuña’s Bat Flip; 03-06-2019 at 04:45 PM.
    FKA Ozzie's Chainz

Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Got to take the L sometimes.

I've been used to it over the years.
    Braves / Panthers / Lakers / Hornets / Clemson / Duke Basketball

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,742 Posts
    Eh. Rhodes is what got this going.

Rhodes wants to bring wrestling back to the glory days of WCW before Russo ruined it. It's because his father dusty helped wcw get big to crush WWF.

I'm all for it. WWE has gotten too big for it's ego. Product is stale most of the year. Besides, WCW mid 90's was my favorite era of wrestling. Early late 90's to 2001 WWF comes close second.
    Forever Fredi

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Individual-1 View Post

Rhodes wants to bring wrestling back to the glory days of WCW before Russo ruined it. It's because his father dusty helped wcw get big to crush WWF.

I'm all for it. WWE has gotten too big for it's ego. Product is stale most of the year. Besides, WCW mid 90's was my favorite era of wrestling. Early late 90's to 2001 WWF comes close second.
    4 life

8. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (03-06-2019)

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,742 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    4 life
    Stacked Tag Division. Outsiders, Steiners, Harlem Heat, Horsemen. Meng/Barbarian

Stacked Cruiserweight Division. Mysterio, Malenko, Juvi, Psychosis, Jericho, Eddie

Stacked Mid Card/Main Event. DDP, Luger, Horsemen, Savage, Giant, Hogan, Sting, Flair, Hennig, Goldberg, Nash, Hall, Piper etc.

Plus you had other mid carders like Raven, Saturn, Mortis, Wrath, etc.

I will watch those shows anyday over what WWE throws out there.

Btw, Tony Schiavone is back in the business. He still does Gwinnett and UGA stuff but he also is the lead announcer for MLW promotion once a week. Look up their shows on youtube. It's awesome to hear his voice commentating again. Hopefully AEW can pick him up. Would give them a lot of credibility if he and Tenay with a third heel guy could do commentary.
    Forever Fredi

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Stacked Tag Division. Outsiders, Steiners, Harlem Heat, Horsemen. Meng/Barbarian

Stacked Cruiserweight Division. Mysterio, Malenko, Juvi, Psychosis, Jericho, Eddie

Stacked Mid Card/Main Event. DDP, Luger, Horsemen, Savage, Giant, Hogan, Sting, Flair, Hennig, Goldberg, Nash, Hall, Piper etc.

Plus you had other mid carders like Raven, Saturn, Mortis, Wrath, etc.

I will watch those shows anyday over what WWE throws out there.

Btw, Tony Schiavone is back in the business. He still does Gwinnett and UGA stuff but he also is the lead announcer for MLW promotion once a week. Look up their shows on youtube. It's awesome to hear his voice commentating again. Hopefully AEW can pick him up. Would give them a lot of credibility if he and Tenay with a third heel guy could do commentary.
    You ever listen to Schiavones podcast? Good stuff. They basically rewatch a ppv event from that Time frame and talk about it. The theme song where they change the words in Billy Joel’s ‘we didn’t start the fire’ to lyrics about the nwa-wcw is actually pretty catchy.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Sounds like Jim Ross to AEW for play by play.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,742 Posts
    Sounds like Jim Ross to AEW for play by play.
    He's done some work for MMA and New Japan. AEW hasn't gotten a tv deal yet just this one off PPV so far. So interested to see if JR will move to the booth full time again or just special events like this. I'd still like Schiavone and Tenay to work together again. They just need a good heel announcer like Heenan back in the day to play off of.
    Forever Fredi

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,742 Posts
    You ever listen to Schiavones podcast? Good stuff. They basically rewatch a ppv event from that Time frame and talk about it. The theme song where they change the words in Billy Joel’s ‘we didn’t start the fire’ to lyrics about the nwa-wcw is actually pretty catchy.
    Isn't the guy he podcasts with the same guy that does it with Flair and also happened to marry Flair's daughter lol.
    Forever Fredi

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,742 Posts
    Btw. Nothing rolls off the tongue as smoothly in rasslin than DUBYA SEE DUBYA
    Forever Fredi

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,938 Posts

I go back a little further, but WCW from the early-80s until the mid-90s was the best promotion out there by far. The Four Horsemen was the pinnacle. Only reason I ever watched WWF was to see what Roddy Piper was up to. My second favorite promotion was the defunct UWF that Cowboy Bill Watts ran until he sold it to Ted Turner. It got some play during the wrestling explosion in the early-to-mid 1980s when you could watch a different promotion every night on cable. UWF had Sting and Steve Williams.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I go back a little further, but WCW from the early-80s until the mid-90s was the best promotion out there by far. The Four Horsemen was the pinnacle. Only reason I ever watched WWF was to see what Roddy Piper was up to. My second favorite promotion was the defunct UWF that Cowboy Bill Watts ran until he sold it to Ted Turner. It got some play during the wrestling explosion in the early-to-mid 1980s when you could watch a different promotion every night on cable. UWF had Sting and Steve Williams.
    Mid 80’s nwa was the best. 4 horseman, dusty, rock n roll express, midnight express, Russians etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    FKA Ozzie's Chainz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    During an appearance on the Total Engagement podcast, former WWE music composer Jim Johnston talked about his departure from the company in 2017. Johnston spoke about how WWE barely used him towards the end of his run:

“I don’t want a job where I don’t have to work,” he said. “There wasn’t ever a millisecond where I thought, ‘Wow, isn’t this great? I’m really not doing that much music, but they’re continuing to pay me! Oh my God, what a great deal!’ It was awful. I hate that. I hated that feeling. I’ve got handcuffs on, I can’t contribute and I eventually told Vince that as well. I said, ‘this is not right.’ I also told him at the time is like, ‘hey, if you’re unhappy with me, fire me. Fire me right now. You can fire me right now. I’m taking the pressure off. Go ahead. Fire me.’ Because that’s not the way I roll. I don’t like that.”

Johnston talked about the difference between writing music for heels and faces:

“I think music for bad guys always comes down to, ‘Do you believe how great I am? Can you believe it?’ And Mr. Perfect was a really strong character and he played it really well. He was charismatically bad and he really exuded that when he came out you know with the hands up in the air and that was his vibe: ‘You know, c’mon now…it’s a little hard to believe, how great I am, isn’t it? I mean, it’s hard for me to believe, for God’s sake!’ It’s like a monumental conchairto to himself whereas music for good guys is more a celebration for everyone. It’s more coming out and going out to the crowd. It’s almost like this is what the crowd feels about you and how much we love you and how much we’re supporting you and bad guys I think it comes more from it’s all about them. So it’s how they see themselves.”

When asked directly about possibly writing music for AEW, Johnston replied with the following comment:

“Sure, absolutely. Give me a call.”

In a recent NoDQ poll, 86% of respondents voted that they would like to see AEW hire Johnston.
    Credit: PWMANIA

Former WWE music composer Jim Johnston is open/interested in AEW.
    FKA Ozzie's Chainz

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Acuña’s Bat Flip For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (03-13-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,703 Posts
    I am excited for AEW. I can't take wwe anymore.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,742 Posts
    I am in Calgary for the next week for work.

I really want to visit the Hart Dungeon/House. The House itself is now just a normal suburban house. Not a museum you can pay to go into.

But as a wrestling fan, it's just something I want to see in person to know so many greats came through.
    Forever Fredi

22. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

Garmel (03-15-2019)

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    I am in Calgary for the next week for work.

I really want to visit the Hart Dungeon/House. The House itself is now just a normal suburban house. Not a museum you can pay to go into.

But as a wrestling fan, it's just something I want to see in person to know so many greats came through.
    Damn. You should swing by if you have time.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,938 Posts
    I forgot to mention the Continental Wrestling Association, the Memphis promotion that Jerry Jarrett used to run. Jerry Lawler was great in that venue and I didn't think his schtick transferred to the WWE. The Andy Kaufman/Lawler feud was awesome. Same went for Downtown Bruno, his act in Memphis, who then went by Harvey Wippleman in the WWE.