Thread: Home Gym

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts

Home Gym

I prefer to run outside for my cardio, but it's getting cold here in Illinois and that's not going to be an option much longer. My wife is also looking to burn off some of her pregnancy weight and we've started to look into our options. We've been members at a local gym for a little over a year, but with the baby around it is going to be difficult for us to get there much.

She seems to be interested in an elliptical machine but I've read that they aren't as effective as you would like them to be. I've seen commercials for the Bowflex Treadclimber and it definitely has me interested, although spending $1,000 on a machine seems a little much and I'm cheap enough as it is.

Anyone have experience with this machine or have other ideas for the home? We have very limited space and are only looking at something to help burn some calories (no weight machines).

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    When Chuck Norris does push ups, he isn't pushing himself up, he's pushing the world down.
    Forever Fredi

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    My advice would be to google Spartan Race. If you sign up for the free email, you get a workout emailed to you everyday. The workouts focus on strength, endurance and speed. They are all pretty much body weight workouts so weights are really needed. A lot of the workouts require running so I would recommend a good treadmill and maybe a pull-up bar. If nothing else check out the site and get a few emails to see if you like the style of workouts. If not just unsubscribe from them.

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    I'm an outside runner as well but I've been thinking of getting a treadmill for one of my spare rooms. After doing some research online and looking into consumer reports, you probably have to spend at least $1,000 to get a decent one. It may seem like a lot but if you run 4-5 times a week, it'll be a good investment.

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts
    I think we've ruled out getting a treadmill - its either going to be an elliptical or we will splurge and go for the Treadclimber

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bj1133 View Post
    I think we've ruled out getting a treadmill - its either going to be an elliptical or we will splurge and go for the Treadclimber
    I want a Treadclimber but these machines take up a lot of space. Not having one just means I have to get out of the house and run which is a good thing.

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    If its been narrowed between the tread climber and the elliptical..

Treadclimber would be considered the better machine for a better workout with more results.

Elliptical can get the heart rate up and still get the job done, probably cheaper and more refined.

Just depends on whats more important. Money or the better workout.

Treadclimber is gonna cost you more money upfront...and since its a newer machine than the elliptical, any issues would be more expensive to correct than if your elliptical had some issues.

Honestly treadmill with a nice incline setting beats the other two.

BUT

Pick the Treadclimber if the price between the two isnt a big deal. Better workout, faster results.

Pick the elliptical if you dont feel the extra money will be worth the potential results (cause you'll still be getting a good workout)....and the possible repairs or replacement of the treadclimber in the future.

TREADMILL!

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Rowers are my favorite.

Treadclimbers I've heard get great results
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg