Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: THURSDAY MINORS THREAD FINAL 8/23/18: Touki Reigns Again

NL Rookie of the Year Acuña’s Bat Flip's Avatar
    Gaffney, South Carolina (Home of the Big Butt "Peach" on I-85)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Rump View Post
    So Wilson can't pitch this weekend because of the 10 day rule then correct?
    Correct, I think there is some loophole that if we DL someone before the 10 days are up then Wilson could come back up earlier than the 10 days but I'm not 100% sure on that.
    FKA Ozzie's Chainz

Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Got to take the L sometimes.

I've been used to it over the years.
    Braves / Panthers / Lakers / Hornets / Clemson / Duke Basketball

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    touki should be pitching in atlanta. i guess teheran would be the guy you bump but he's been good and is getting paid a little. i'm sure we'll see touki again this year regardless.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    touki should be pitching in atlanta. i guess teheran would be the guy you bump but he's been good and is getting paid a little. i'm sure we'll see touki again this year regardless.
    No need to bump anybody this year. Give Touki a couple spot starts, then move him to the pen in September. His stuff is too electric in relief not to utilize him this way down the stretch unless a SP gets hurt.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    No need to bump anybody this year. Give Touki a couple spot starts, then move him to the pen in September. His stuff is too electric in relief not to utilize him this way down the stretch unless a SP gets hurt.
    but what if touki is your 2nd best major league starter? he may well be.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    then he can earn a job next spring

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    He could also get lit up. You can’t bump producers for unknowns this close to the finish line.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    There is video of Touki and Riley

https://www.mlb.com/news/top-prospec...?tid=151437456
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    then he can earn a job next spring
    but if he can help you this year in the playoffs over other guys...

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    He could also get lit up. You can’t bump producers for unknowns this close to the finish line.
    is teheran a "producer"? he's bound to get lit up again.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    but if he can help you this year in the playoffs over other guys...

He's not supplanting Newk, Folty, or Gausman

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Borkovich continues to very quietly put together a strong year. Not flashy and nobody talks about him, but he simply doesn't walk anybody (<2 BBs/9). Could be a nice pen piece at some point.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts
    Any chance Riley gets a cup of coffee? He'd be a valuable bench bat down the stretch.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Expect the Braves to follow the recent BP usage model in the playoffs pioneered by the Indians.

The Braves don't have a single SP that has any business facing any batter in a lineup 3 times (unless Newk or Folty are going and the top of the lineup offers them a clear platoon advantage). The SPs will be going 18-20 batters, which will only cover 4-5 innings in most playoff games. This will require the Braves to use guys like Touki for 9-10 batters to cover 2-3 innings in several games.

The Braves are uniquely set up to deploy the pitching staff in such a manner due to their depth of young arms. Hopefully Touki, Gohara and Fried (and perhaps Wilson) are ready to do it.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 08-24-2018 at 11:03 AM.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Expect the Braves to follow the recent BP usage model in the playoffs pioneered by the Indians.

The Braves don't have a single SP that has any business facing any batter in a lineup 3 times (unless Newk or Folty are going and the top of the lineup offers them a clear platoon advantage). The SPs will be going 18-20 batters, which will only cover 4-5 innings in most playoff games. This will require the Braves to use guys like Touki for 9-10 batters to cover 2-3 innings in several games.

The Braves are uniquely set up to deploy the pitching staff in such a manner due to their depth of young arms. Hopefully Touki, Gohara and Fried (and perhaps Wilson) are ready to do it.
    I agree with this and profoundly approve of this approach. My fear is twitner following his gut to alter the game plan. I can see him saying. Well Newk was throwing really good at the time so I went with my gut and let him go in the sixth. Arizona is really good and they just got to him there. Sometime really good player do that to you. They are really good. Newk is really good. Just really good players battleing it out really good.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,737 Posts
    I agree 100% thats the route we should go but is there any reason to believe they will actually do that? I might let a starter go 6 if they are really dominating.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

I hope we do this but absolutely do not expect it. I don't think Snitker is prepared to be progressive enough to do that. He'll basically run our top starters out there for 100ish pitches, maybe 100+, unless they just get hammered early.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    620 Posts
    I agree with this and profoundly approve of this approach. My fear is twitner following his gut to alter the game plan. I can see him saying. Well Newk was throwing really good at the time so I went with my gut and let him go in the sixth. Arizona is really good and they just got to him there. Sometime really good player do that to you. They are really good. Newk is really good. Just really good players battleing it out really good.
    EXACTLY!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    We've seen teams completely alter their pitching usage patterns in the playoffs. So much so that it must have been at the direction of the FO.

Hopefully AA gives Snit a script of what to do, he understands it, and follows it.

Teams have shown the blueprint for success in the playoffs, and I can't imagine even Snit is blind to how well it has worked.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,704 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I hope we do this but absolutely do not expect it. I don't think Snitker is prepared to be progressive enough to do that. He'll basically run our top starters out there for 100ish pitches, maybe 100+, unless they just get hammered early.
    I think snit will follow orders though. I.e. stop playing Camargo at ss. Start sitting ender vs lhp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    is teheran a "producer"? he's bound to get lit up again.
    Teheran wouldn’t be in my playoff rotation at this point. Folty, Newk, Gausman and Sanchez would be my SP if the playoffs started today.