User Tag List

Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Pen in the 2nd Half

  1. #1
    Expects Yuge Games nsacpi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    24,875
    Thanks
    1,873
    Thanked 8,784 Times in 5,567 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Pen in the 2nd Half

    Measured by FIP or WAR, our pen has been the second best (to the Padres!) in the NL in the second half.

    Those guys have been doing great work. And I don't get the impression most of the posters around here realize how good.
    “It's a shame the White House has become an adult day care center. Someone obviously missed their shift this morning.” Senator Bob Corker

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

    jpx7 (08-27-2018)

  3. #2
    PosiBraves Hell Gatekeeper
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    17,413
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked 5,577 Times in 3,303 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since the deadline they have the 2nd best FIP in all of MLB (Astros), and 2nd most WAR (Rays due to a huge 154 to 93 IP advantage).

    I was one who criticized AA for not making good enough additions to the BP, but he seems to have cobbled together a pretty solid unit. I wouldn't expect them to spend heavily on the BP this off season.
    I think he (Teheran) finishes with a FIP ~3.3. -CrazyTrain 3/25/2019

    Gausman had a bad walk ratio for us -CrazyTrain 11/20/2018
    BB/9 with Braves: 2.72

    Fried, Newk and a couple other guys for Bumgarner and give him a pay day for 6ish years -CrazyTrain 10/15/18

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

    jpx7 (08-27-2018)

  5. #3
    Expects Yuge Games nsacpi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    24,875
    Thanks
    1,873
    Thanked 8,784 Times in 5,567 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesn't have any big names, but I think it could be a plus in the off-season when teams go to the pen more quickly and more aggressively seek out the platoon advantage.
    “It's a shame the White House has become an adult day care center. Someone obviously missed their shift this morning.” Senator Bob Corker

  6. #4
    Sexist Pig TURBO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    3,501
    Thanks
    522
    Thanked 1,871 Times in 690 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Without Viz too

  7. #5
    Expects Yuge Games nsacpi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    24,875
    Thanks
    1,873
    Thanked 8,784 Times in 5,567 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TURBO View Post
    Without Viz too
    I hope he comes back. It would give us more flexibility in how Minter is deployed.
    “It's a shame the White House has become an adult day care center. Someone obviously missed their shift this morning.” Senator Bob Corker

  8. #6
    Hessmania Forever
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    10,547
    Thanks
    3,404
    Thanked 5,432 Times in 3,338 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only thing they lack in the pen is a guy who can really take the bat out of opposing hitters' hands. Probably just a quibble on my part, but the only guy I'd consider a true power pitcher out there at the moment is Sobotka. Minter is a borderline power pitcher in my view, but he has a killer cutter. Hopefully, Vizcaino can come back and help out. He could give us a pretty decent closer-by-committee framework.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

    jpx7 (08-27-2018)

  10. #7
    PosiBraves Hell Gatekeeper
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    17,413
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked 5,577 Times in 3,303 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There have been 694 pitchers in MLB this year who have thrown at least 1 FA.

    Minter's average FA velocity of 96.6 ranks him #40 on the list...the Top 5%.

    Restricted to LHP, he ranks #6 in MLB this year of all 170 guys that have thrown a FA...the Top 3%.

    That easily meets my definition of a "power pitcher".
    I think he (Teheran) finishes with a FIP ~3.3. -CrazyTrain 3/25/2019

    Gausman had a bad walk ratio for us -CrazyTrain 11/20/2018
    BB/9 with Braves: 2.72

    Fried, Newk and a couple other guys for Bumgarner and give him a pay day for 6ish years -CrazyTrain 10/15/18

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

    jpx7 (08-27-2018)

  12. #8
    Hessmania Forever
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    10,547
    Thanks
    3,404
    Thanked 5,432 Times in 3,338 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    There have been 694 pitchers in MLB this year who have thrown at least 1 FA.

    Minter's average FA velocity of 96.6 ranks him #40 on the list...the Top 5%.

    Restricted to LHP, he ranks #6 in MLB this year of all 170 guys that have thrown a FA...the Top 3%.

    That easily meets my definition of a "power pitcher".
    Thanks for the data. I confess my initial assessment was in error.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

    jpx7 (08-27-2018)

  14. #9
    Shift Leader CyYoung31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    10,834
    Thanks
    1,001
    Thanked 6,019 Times in 3,040 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Thanks for the data. I confess my initial assessment was in error.
    Derp.

    Spoiler: 
    It’s a joke, people.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

    jpx7 (08-27-2018)

  16. #10
    Steve Harvey'd
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    12,027
    Thanks
    1,370
    Thanked 3,447 Times in 2,066 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is the latest on Viz.
    Coppy

  17. #11
    Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Heyward's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    16,518
    Thanks
    1,177
    Thanked 1,324 Times in 1,040 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Since the deadline they have the 2nd best FIP in all of MLB (Astros), and 2nd most WAR (Rays due to a huge 154 to 93 IP advantage).

    I was one who criticized AA for not making good enough additions to the BP, but he seems to have cobbled together a pretty solid unit. I wouldn't expect them to spend heavily on the BP this off season.
    Right now Atlanta has.

    Venters, Minter, Biddle from left side.
    Viz, Winkler, Sobotka, O'Day from right side, and other options like Carle, etc. Could bring back a guy like Brach on a 2-yr deal or so. I thought Atlanta would make a run at Kimbrel but i dont see that happening anymore. Very interested what AA does with the money this winter in free agency.

  18. #12
    Expects Yuge Games nsacpi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    24,875
    Thanks
    1,873
    Thanked 8,784 Times in 5,567 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    What is the latest on Viz.
    he's been throwing bullpens...should be going on a rehab assignment soon
    “It's a shame the White House has become an adult day care center. Someone obviously missed their shift this morning.” Senator Bob Corker

  19. #13
    Expects Yuge Games nsacpi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    24,875
    Thanks
    1,873
    Thanked 8,784 Times in 5,567 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Right now Atlanta has.

    Venters, Minter, Biddle from left side.
    Viz, Winkler, Sobotka, O'Day from right side, and other options like Carle, etc. Could bring back a guy like Brach on a 2-yr deal or so. I thought Atlanta would make a run at Kimbrel but i dont see that happening anymore. Very interested what AA does with the money this winter in free agency.
    I think the pen is going to be a fairly low priority this off-season. It is nicely set up for next year. Btw you forgot about Freeman.
    “It's a shame the White House has become an adult day care center. Someone obviously missed their shift this morning.” Senator Bob Corker

  20. #14
    PosiBraves Hell Gatekeeper
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    17,413
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked 5,577 Times in 3,303 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Right now Atlanta has.

    Venters, Minter, Biddle from left side.
    Viz, Winkler, Sobotka, O'Day from right side, and other options like Carle, etc. Could bring back a guy like Brach on a 2-yr deal or so. I thought Atlanta would make a run at Kimbrel but i dont see that happening anymore. Very interested what AA does with the money this winter in free agency.
    The Braves don't have as much money as folks like to think.

    If we acknowledge they had an opening day payroll of $110M, added $7M in deadline acquisitions, and couldn't afford to add Murphy's $4M, the highest 2018 payroll the Braves could afford with a projected attendance of 2.5 million is $120M.

    It's probably safe to assume they will be projecting ~2.5 million in attendance for 2019, which will lead to an opening day payroll of $120M or less.

    The Braves currently sit at ~$75M for 2019 without non-tendering anyone. Trading Teheran's contract will be hard, and no other non-tendder candidates will save more than a couple million (like Brothers' $2M).

    We can probably expect the Braves will have ~$45M to get 2 catchers, a cOF, and possibly some help at 3B.

    At least one of those position players has to be an impact player and will use up the majority of the available payroll. There simply won't be much cash available to pay market rates on BP arms, and it doesn't matter because teams have shown they can grab those guys at the deadline for reasonable packages.
    I think he (Teheran) finishes with a FIP ~3.3. -CrazyTrain 3/25/2019

    Gausman had a bad walk ratio for us -CrazyTrain 11/20/2018
    BB/9 with Braves: 2.72

    Fried, Newk and a couple other guys for Bumgarner and give him a pay day for 6ish years -CrazyTrain 10/15/18

  21. #15
    Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Heyward's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    16,518
    Thanks
    1,177
    Thanked 1,324 Times in 1,040 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    The Braves don't have as much money as folks like to think.

    If we acknowledge they had an opening day payroll of $110M, added $7M in deadline acquisitions, and couldn't afford to add Murphy's $4M, the highest 2018 payroll the Braves could afford with a projected attendance of 2.5 million is $120M.

    It's probably safe to assume they will be projecting ~2.5 million in attendance for 2019, which will lead to an opening day payroll of $120M or less.

    The Braves currently sit at ~$75M for 2019 without non-tendering anyone. Trading Teheran's contract will be hard, and no other non-tendder candidates will save more than a couple million (like Brothers' $2M).

    We can probably expect the Braves will have ~$45M to get 2 catchers, a cOF, and possibly some help at 3B.

    At least one of those position players has to be an impact player and will use up the majority of the available payroll. There simply won't be much cash available to pay market rates on BP arms, and it doesn't matter because teams have shown they can grab those guys at the deadline for reasonable packages.
    I dont think we have as much as some think, nor do i think we have a shot at Harper or Machado. But more so how wisely AA uses the money. I could see us more active in the trade market more than FA.

    Signing some of the young guys or trying to, to extensions would be smart as well.

  22. #16
    Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Heyward's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    16,518
    Thanks
    1,177
    Thanked 1,324 Times in 1,040 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I think the pen is going to be a fairly low priority this off-season. It is nicely set up for next year. Btw you forgot about Freeman.
    I didnt forget Freeman, hopefully hes non-tendered.

  23. #17
    Called Up to the Major Leagues Acuña’s Bat Flip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Gaffney, South Carolina (Home of the Big Butt "Peach" on I-85)
    Posts
    2,012
    Thanks
    234
    Thanked 433 Times in 222 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They have been very good!

  24. #18
    Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    9,210
    Thanks
    26,499
    Thanked 5,456 Times in 3,182 Posts
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Trading Teheran would be nice, if he can finish strong. I think the Braves’ payroll is tight enough that it’s a worthwhile move, no matter the depth he provides.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •