Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: THURSDAY MINORS FINAL 8/30/18: Monster Day for Riley

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Equal number of days as to how many he was active this year. So likely an extra month .
    It’s not exact because a full season is more days than required for a full service year (172 days), but this is correct for all intents and purposes.

It’s why Bryant was held down 12(?) days rather than just 1 day.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    It’s not exact because a full season is more days than required for a full service year (172 days), but this is correct for all intents and purposes.

It’s why Bryant was held down 12(?) days rather than just 1 day.

That's what I was trying to say.

Essentially, he will sit out enough days to insure that he will have less than one year of service time at the end of 2019.

Which means he will be sitting out at least as many days in 2019 as he plays in 2018. Plus a couple of weeks more or less.

If they want to save the year, which I should hope they would.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-30-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulavol View Post
    Unless you think we can realistically beat the Sox (and after this most improbable season, who knows??- we can dream, right?) you keep Riley down.
    No, you bring him up if you think he can genuinely help you in the postseason regardless.

We can beat the Sox because it's baseball. Even over 7 games, the best team doesn't always win.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

UNCBlue012 (08-30-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    No, you bring him up if you think he can genuinely help you in the postseason regardless.

We can beat the Sox because it's baseball. Even over 7 games, the best team doesn't always win.
    This. And quite honestly, if we're being real, the Red Sox's pitching problems are real. Sale is a monster and Price has been really good lately, but they have issues that can be exploited.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post

I think you’re right that postseason competition is not a valid reason for not bringing Riley up in 2018. I just also don’t think there are any good reasons, currently, for bringing him up in 2018.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    This. And quite honestly, if we're being real, the Red Sox's pitching problems are real. Sale is a monster and Price has been really good lately, but they have issues that can be exploited.
    Aaaaand, the Braves are excellent vs LHP.

The Braves may not be the favorite in the postseason, but I like how they match up against all the LHP studs on playoff teams.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (08-31-2018), jpx7 (08-30-2018), UNCBlue012 (08-30-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Aaaaand, the Braves are excellent vs LHP.

The Braves may not be the favorite in the postseason, but I like how they match up against all the LHP studs on playoff teams.
    So you want dodgers first round?

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    612 Posts
    You guys are nuts... our window isn’t even open yet- we just somehow snuck in through the chimney....

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Hulavol For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-30-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Braves fans shouldn't be cocky enough yet to be making preferences for play off opponent. I'm going to be so thrilled to watch October baseball again that I don't care who the opponent is.

However...the Braves have the 2nd highest wRC+ vs LHP from all position players, meaning no Ps or DHs included, in all of MLB, behind only the Astros (125 to 122). They are 3rd overall vs LHP behind only the Astros and Yankees.

The Braves have a decent shot in a short series against teams that rely heavily on LH SPs.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (08-31-2018), jpx7 (08-30-2018), UNCBlue012 (08-31-2018)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    Why don’t we make the playoffs before we start talking about the playoffs. 3.5
    Games is not a guarantee despite some of the posts I have seen round these parts.
    Coppy

16. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-30-2018)

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    53 Posts
    Regarding us being “a year ahead of schedule”: You know who thought about next year and that they’d have plenty of opportunities? The Nationals when they shut Strasburg down a few years back. If Riley would help us in the playoffs...do it. I’m not sure he moves the needle enough to bring him up, however.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluedevilruss For This Useful Post:

clvclv (08-31-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Why don’t we make the playoffs before we start talking about the playoffs. 3.5
    Games is not a guarantee despite some of the posts I have seen round these parts.
    I'm a pretty big deal, but even someone of my amazing status can't jinx an mlb team. They'll make it or not... doesn't matter what I say

NL Rookie of the Year Acuña’s Bat Flip's Avatar
    Gaffney, South Carolina (Home of the Big Butt "Peach" on I-85)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    Riley is definitely getting the call.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    I don’t understand what role Riley would play in a series that would be especially positive.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (08-31-2018)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedevilruss View Post
    Regarding us being “a year ahead of schedule”: You know who thought about next year and that they’d have plenty of opportunities? The Nationals when they shut Strasburg down a few years back. If Riley would help us in the playoffs...do it. I’m not sure he moves the needle enough to bring him up, however.
    The Nationals did have lots of opportunities. They just failed to capitalize on them.

NL Rookie of the Year Acuña’s Bat Flip's Avatar
    Gaffney, South Carolina (Home of the Big Butt "Peach" on I-85)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    The Nationals did have lots of opportunities. They just failed to capitalize on them.
    It really is hilarious.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I don’t understand what role Riley would play in a series that would be especially positive.
    I mean, I don’t envision one either. But I occurs to me not to discount that he just might be one of the most talented 25 we could roll out there for a playoff game?

Anyone else feel that way?
    Ivermectin Man

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (08-31-2018)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    I mean, I don’t envision one either. But I occurs to me not to discount that he just might be one of the most talented 25 we could roll out there for a playoff game?

Anyone else feel that way?
    This. He needs to be added now in the event we make the playoffs and he can help in any way.

Worry about service-time concerns next spring when it's time to worry about them - you only get so many shots, don't waste them worrying about things that could be well beyond your control. If you hold the second hottest hitter in the organization down now because you're worried about where he may be six years from now, there's as much chance you're costing yourself as much as you would by calling him up.

Sure it's unlikely, but we've seen catastrophic things happen in the past - like Medlen and Beachy blowing out on consecutive days. Karma's a *itch, and with the Braves' luck they'll go to all this trouble to gain extra control over Riley and then Folty and Newk blow out next spring and Acuna finishes tearing his knee the rest of the way.

If you have a chance to win, not doing everything you can to capitalize on that chance is ridiculous. Several more numbers-minded posters correctly point out that this is the time of year a hot offense takes you a long way - get as many dangerous hitters in that dugout as you possibly can and see what shakes out.
    Last edited by clvclv; 08-31-2018 at 11:26 AM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Riley does not need to be added to the roster now to be eligible for the postseason.

I repeat, Riley does not need to be added to the roster now to be eligible for the postseason.

Again....Riley does not need to be added to the roster now to be eligible for the postseason.

And finally, Riley does not need to be added to the roster now to be eligible for the postseason.

I'm not sure how many other ways to say this, or how many times it needs to be said to sink in, but the Braves do not have to start Riley's clock right now to get him on the postseason roster if they want him on it. He can simply replace Soroka or McCarthy.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 08-31-2018 at 12:20 PM.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Riley does not need to be added to the roster now to be eligible for the postseason.

I repeat, Riley does not need to be added to the roster now to be eligible for the postseason.

Again....Riley does not need to be added to the roster now to be eligible for the postseason.

And finally, Riley does not need to be added to the roster now to be eligible for the postseason.

I'm not sure how many other ways to say this, or how many times it needs to be said to sink in, but the Braves do not have to start Riley's clock right now to get him on the postseason roster if they want him on it. He can simply replace Soroka or McCarthy.
    Adding him now has nothing to do with WHEN he must be added to be eligible for the playoffs.

I repeat, adding him now has nothing to do with WHEN he must be added to be eligible for the playoffs.

Again...adding him now has nothing to do with WHEN he must be added to be eligible for the playoffs.

And finally, adding him now has nothing to do with WHEN he must be added to be eligible for the playoffs.

Adding Riley now would be completely about getting an ice-cold Albies out of the lineup for a few days, sliding a red-hot Camargo to 2B to replace him, and getting some middle of the order help for an absolutely worn out Freddie and Markakis who are running on fumes right now (and currently incapable of putting the team on their backs). If the pitching staff has to hold the opposition to 3 runs or less the rest of the way, there's not going to be a playoff roster to fill out.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?