Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: THURSDAY MINORS FINAL 8/30/18: Monster Day for Riley

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Adding him now has nothing to do with WHEN he must be added to be eligible for the playoffs.

I repeat, adding him now has nothing to do with WHEN he must be added to be eligible for the playoffs.

Again...adding him now has nothing to do with WHEN he must be added to be eligible for the playoffs.

And finally, adding him now has nothing to do with WHEN he must be added to be eligible for the playoffs.

Adding Riley now would be completely about getting an ice-cold Albies out of the lineup for a few days, sliding a red-hot Camargo to 2B to replace him, and getting some middle of the order help for an absolutely worn out Freddie and Markakis who are running on fumes right now (and currently incapable of putting the team on their backs). If the pitching staff has to hold the opposition to 3 runs or less the rest of the way, there's not going to be a playoff roster to fill out.
    Except you said you have to add Riley now to be eligible.

Also I am not a fan of replacing someone in a slump with a rookie. Oz has been fine all year and now we are ready to bench him for a complete unproven in the middle of a playoff race.
    Coppy

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

Jaw (08-31-2018), jpx7 (08-31-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Adding him now has nothing to do with WHEN he must be added to be eligible for the playoffs.

I repeat, adding him now has nothing to do with WHEN he must be added to be eligible for the playoffs.

Again...adding him now has nothing to do with WHEN he must be added to be eligible for the playoffs.

And finally, adding him now has nothing to do with WHEN he must be added to be eligible for the playoffs.

Adding Riley now would be completely about getting an ice-cold Albies out of the lineup for a few days, sliding a red-hot Camargo to 2B to replace him, and getting some middle of the order help for an absolutely worn out Freddie and Markakis who are running on fumes right now (and currently incapable of putting the team on their backs). If the pitching staff has to hold the opposition to 3 runs or less the rest of the way, there's not going to be a playoff roster to fill out.
    You literally said “He needs to be added now in the event we make the playoffs and he can help in any way.”

Again, your exact quote was, “He needs to be added now in the event we make the playoffs and he can help in any way.”

I’ve seen people not able to comprehend things they read as written by others, but you just showed an inability to understand what you wrote yourself.

That’s a whole new level of dumb.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post

Also I am not a fan of replacing someone in a slump with a rookie. Oz has been fine all year and now we are ready to bench him for a complete unproven in the middle of a playoff race.
    Clearly he meant to say “wouldn’t”.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts

It really is uncanny. He’s struggling and I’ve seen recommendations of benching him adding waiver 2B to start over him. Sigh. Never slump is the message I guess.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    It really is uncanny. He’s struggling and I’ve seen recommendations of benching him adding waiver 2B to start over him. Sigh. Never slump is the message I guess.
    I wouldn't add a waiver 2b over albies, but I would love to have Donaldson. If Donaldson is right, he's a star. Play albies or Camargo at 2b according to merit

Donaldson's fWAR the last few years...
    2017 = 5.1
    2016 = 7.4
    2015 = 8.4

If he's right, only FF and Acuna are on his level of production
    Last edited by msstate7; 08-31-2018 at 03:04 PM.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

You realize Ozzie isn't your typical "veteran", right? He's struggling mightily because he's having trouble making adjustments like all rookies/young players have. We're not talking about replacing Altuve with a kid or benching Ozzie for good here - a few days to sit and watch could do wonders for him at this point. As for taking slumping players out of the lineup and replacing them with hot hitters (regardless of who those players are), if you don't do it now your next chance will be sometime next April.

As for "now" being taken so literally as to mean "right this second to be added to the playoff roster", that's just His Highness and others grasping at straws to make a ridiculous argument. Just as Riley doesn't have to be added today to be available for the playoffs, he also doesn't have to be the starting 3B if you get there with Albies on the bench. The point is that if they don't do something to wake this offense up soon, they'll be watching the playoffs on TV like we will because the Pitchers are wearing down too and simply can't be expected to shut everybody down for the next month and get the offense there.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Wake the offense up?

Braves wRC+ per month...

April: 108
    May: 101
    June: 96
    July: 97
    August: 98

Overall: 100

This offense has been pretty consistent all season. It doesn't need something to "wake it up".

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-31-2018)

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    149 Posts
    Where were all these calls to platoon or bench a player when Dansby was one of the worst hitters in the league for the majority of the season?Ozzie is sucking it up right now but I think it's quite normal for a kid that young to slump.Yes it's been a lengthy one but I think for all he's done this year he deserves a little more faith and patience.He will be ok.You just don't stop hitting at that age with his track record.
    I get caught up as much as anyone in my fandom but geez.

Also I wouldn't think a platoon of Oz/80 grade at 2nd to make way for Donaldson would be well received in the clubhouse after we stuck with Dans when he couldn't hit a slider with a boat oar..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworm View Post
    Where were all these calls to platoon or bench a player when Dansby was one of the worst hitters in the league for the majority of the season?Ozzie is sucking it up right now but I think it's quite normal for a kid that young to slump.Yes it's been a lengthy one but I think for all he's done this year he deserves a little more faith and patience.He will be ok.You just don't stop hitting at that age with his track record.
    I get caught up as much as anyone in my fandom but geez.

Also I wouldn't think a platoon of Oz/80 grade at 2nd to make way for Donaldson would be well received in the clubhouse after we stuck with Dans when he couldn't hit a slider with a boat oar..
    You mad, bro? I wanna win, and I don't care who we have to sit to do it. If we land a better option at SS, by all means bench Swanson. Are you an albies fan or a braves fan?

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    You mad, bro? I wanna win, and I don't care who we have to sit to do it. If we land a better option at SS, by all means bench Swanson. Are you an albies fan or a braves fan?
    Got nothing to do with being an Albies fan and yes I am one and a huge Braves fan too. I just think you don't push him aside for someone else at the end of the season when he helped get you there. Also...Freeman slumped for awhile too. Should we have started someone over him? It's stupid. Look I hate that he's slumping but I'd rather he play every single day. That's my take.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Wake the offense up?

Braves wRC+ per month...

April: 108
    May: 101
    June: 96
    July: 97
    August: 98

Overall: 100

This offense has been pretty consistent all season. It doesn't need something to "wake it up".
    And you should know as well as anybody that the Pitchers are running out of gas and the Braves are going to need more offense down the stretch if they hope to hold on and squeak into the playoffs - even as a wildcard. You've been begging for them to add bats for the last month because you know that's the case. With the second-toughest remaining schedule among contenders, they're going to need to score every run they can.

They've got a hot one in Riley, and he should be added - worry about how much he makes in 2021-2024 when it doesn't cost you a trip to the playoffs. Leave him down until next July to make up for any service-time burned, Camargo and Culberson can cover 3B just fine during that period.
    Last edited by clvclv; 08-31-2018 at 06:37 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    487 Posts
    Got nothing to do with being an Albies fan and yes I am one and a huge Braves fan too. I just think you don't push him aside for someone else at the end of the season when he helped get you there. Also...Freeman slumped for awhile too. Should we have started someone over him? It's stupid. Look I hate that he's slumping but I'd rather he play every single day. That's my take.
    A day off once a week is not disrespectful to him and may help him be better. Same with Freddie.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    149 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post

Easy Mississippi...
    I'm a fan of all Braves not just Albies just as I was in the Murphy years and so on.Live and die with all Atlanta teams since the early 80's.
    I was simply pointing out that just because someone slumps early or late, the games count the same.Game 11 Is just as important as game 122.Sometimes especially with your young players, you gotta ride the horse that brought you.
    Last edited by Buzzworm; 08-31-2018 at 06:42 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    And you should know as well as anybody that the Pitchers are running out of gas and the Braves are going to need more offense down the stretch if they hope to hold on and squeak into the playoffs - even as a wildcard. You've been begging for them to add bats for the last month because you know that's the case. With the second-toughest remaining schedule among contenders, they're going to need to score every run they can.

They've got a hot one in Riley, and he should be added - worry about how much he makes in 2021-2024 when it doesn't cost you a trip to the playoffs. Leave him down until next July to make up for any service-time burned, Camargo and Culberson can cover 3B just fine during that period.
    Luckily, the new FO is smart enough to realize starting Riley's clock wont represent enough of an upgrade to warrant losing the extra year of control.

Luckily, the 90s way of thinking has been urged from the organization.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Jaw (08-31-2018), jpx7 (09-01-2018)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    A day off once a week is not disrespectful to him and may help him be better. Same with Freddie.
    I can agree with that for anybody. But that wasn't what was advocated.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    Austin Riley most likely wouldn't help the big league team until he goes through his adjustment period that he has to go through at most levels he plays at. And September isn't long enough for that to be that period even if you say forget being logical, it's about winning.

Just wait. Wait until at least two weeks into next season, maybe longer.

He even says he still has more to work on.

In the end, it might be time for a lineup shakeup. Markakis even before the BiLE DFA looked to be reverting back to normal, so batting him cleanup is mindboggling. Swap him and Acuna. And a foot needs to be put down about days off with Markakis and Freddie.
    Last edited by GeorgiaGirl; 08-31-2018 at 11:16 PM.
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to GeorgiaGirl For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-01-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    #NeverSlump
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club