Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
I could be wrong, but I think I remember Kyle Hendricks having something similar to that cutter. I think he called it a "cut-changeup" or something like that. It was a changeup that had opposite movement to a circle change, meaning that it had glove side run on it. I wonder if what Wright is doing is similar to that.
The spectrum of breaking balls with glove-side movement in terms of velocity/movement ratio goes cutter -> slider -> curve.

Wright seems to throw a cutter/slider hybrid (I call it a slutter) as well as a slider/curve hybrid (called a slurve). It makes them hard to grade, and I'm not sure how effective either pitch is going to be. I'm guessing the pitches will work just fine though.

The FA movement is very worrisome, but maybe it works after batters see a few of those breaking pitches from Wright early in the game and shows he can locate them.

He will probably need to pitch backwards, meaning establish the slutter and slurve before breaking out the FA. If he pitches like a normal guy and tries to establish the FA first I'm afraid it will get hammered before he has a chance to work in his slutter and slurve. If batters sit on that insanely straight FA early in the count, they will likely be able to do serious damage if Wright obliges and serves it up.