Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Missing pitchers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts

Missing pitchers

Will we see Viz, McCarthy, or gohara again this season? Seems there's opportunity
    Swanson sucks

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    I'd imagine McCarthy is done. IIRC, they've left the door open for Viz, saying the move to the 60-Day DL was only to be able to utilize his roster spot - he's eligible to be activated at just about any point now.

Given the pen's struggles, I fully expect to see Gohara out there, and Viz in another 10-14 days if he feels good enough to go. They simply don't have any other late-game options to go to on days when Minter isn't available right now.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (09-07-2018)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    What about Sobo. He can return today.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    McCarthy re-injured his knee. He is done.

Gohara is probably done for the season too. He has been on and off the minor league DL a couple times the past month.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    I'd imagine McCarthy is done. IIRC, they've left the door open for Viz, saying the move to the 60-Day DL was only to be able to utilize his roster spot - he's eligible to be activated at just about any point now.

Given the pen's struggles, I fully expect to see Gohara out there, and Viz in another 10-14 days if he feels good enough to go. They simply don't have any other late-game options to go to on days when Minter isn't available right now.
    Minter was not available last night because he threw over 30 pitches the night before.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    McCarthy re-injured his knee. He is done.

Gohara is probably done for the season too. He has been on and off the minor league DL a couple times the past month.
    Sucks about McCarthy. I've been dreaming on him coming back fresh and his old self for the playoffs

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (09-07-2018), JohnAdcox (09-07-2018), jpx7 (09-07-2018)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Minter was not available last night because he threw over 30 pitches the night before.
    I'm well aware of that, but thanks.

The point remains that other than Minter, there's no one out there to trust - meaning anytime he's used 2-3 days in a row the rest of the season, you're going to have another game like last night where everyone sits around scared to death the pen is going to blow another one.

Feels just like the 90s all over again all of a sudden!!!

Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    I'm well aware of that, but thanks.

The point remains that other than Minter, there's no one out there to trust - meaning anytime he's used 2-3 days in a row the rest of the season, you're going to have another game like last night where everyone sits around scared to death the pen is going to blow another one.

Feels just like the 90s all over again all of a sudden!!!

I don’t think anyone was scared out there. There seems to be a perception that our young pen should never give up runs. Ever. It happens. But to your point. I will take another 20 of last nights. We won.
    Coppy

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-07-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I don’t think anyone was scared out there. There seems to be a perception that our young pen should never give up runs. Ever. It happens. But to your point. I will take another 20 of last nights. We won.
    Even with the recent shaky games, our pen has the second lowest FIP in the second half of any of the NL pens.

"I am your retribution."

13. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Jaw (09-07-2018)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Last night.

I'm all about glass half-full too, but not afraid to admit I'm in the scared to death camp every time we don't have a starter go 6+ IP right now.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    This bullpen is FINNISH.
    Forever Fredi

16. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-07-2018)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Even with the recent shaky games, our pen has the second lowest FIP in the second half of any of the NL pens.
    I'm much more about the new numbers than I've ever been before, to you guys' credit, but many of them are just useful for contracts and trades much of the time IMO. When we had the big lead against the Sox and they still had all their "big guns" on the bench, I never felt comfortable regardless of that great FIP. Same feeling last night.

Minter's worrisome enough on his own - on nights he's unavailable I simply have no confidence in this pen regardless of what those number say. Everyone that goes out there has that deer in the headlights feel about them - right now anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    When we had the big lead against the Sox and they still had all their "big guns" on the bench, I never felt comfortable regardless of that great FIP. Same feeling last night.
    You should consider the possibility that you would feel uncomfortable in those situations with 90% of the major league bullpens out there.

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    I'm much more about the new numbers than I've ever been before, to you guys' credit, but many of them are just useful for contracts and trades much of the time IMO. When we had the big lead against the Sox and they still had all their "big guns" on the bench, I never felt comfortable regardless of that great FIP. Same feeling last night.

Minter's worrisome enough on his own - on nights he's unavailable I simply have no confidence in this pen regardless of what those number say. Everyone that goes out there has that deer in the headlights feel about them - right now anyway.
    Just useful for trades and contracts? You mean the mechanisms directly responsible for building MLB baseball teams?

Why would anyone want to understand that?

Maybe they should rely on what you "feel", or your "confidence level" when constructing a MLB team? <Edited by rico> lol...

Ed.: You were doing just fine until right there. Next time, please take a deep breath before issuing the insult. You'd be surprised how many of us can see the flaw in an argument without you twisting the knife.
    Last edited by rico43; 09-08-2018 at 03:19 PM.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    You should consider the possibility that you would feel uncomfortable in those situations with 90% of the major league bullpens out there.
    No doubt - but the funny thing is that a big part of that 90% isn't in playoff contention.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Just useful for trades and contracts? You mean the mechanisms directly responsible for building MLB baseball teams?

Why would anyone want to understand that?

Maybe they should rely on what you "feel", or your "confidence level" when constructing a MLB team? <Edited by rico> lol...
    Didn't you say you're the biggest and smartest blackjack dealer in the gambling capital of the world?

How much money did people lose Wednesday because the Braves' pen's FIP went up? As much as those who lost betting on the Braves to win?

Outside of a select few people, nobody gives a *hit about somebody's FIP at the end of the day. That blasted scoreboard on the other hand, well...
    Last edited by rico43; 09-08-2018 at 03:20 PM.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Didn't you say you're the biggest and smartest blackjack dealer in the gambling capital of the world?

How much money did people lose Wednesday because the Braves' pen's FIP went up? As much as those who lost betting on the Braves to win?

Outside of a select few people, nobody gives a *hit about somebody's FIP at the end of the day. That blasted scoreboard on the other hand, well...
    I think you are confusing stats with actual results. There is a clear distinction. I build reports that project our bank to do 70 billion in deposits next month. People use that to set budgets, FHLB borrowing limits, and operational cash as well as the liquidity ratio. But that doesn’t mean that we will do exactly that amount. So I think you are blurring the lines of what stats are used for.
    Coppy

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    I think you are confusing stats with actual results. There is a clear distinction. I build reports that project our bank to do 70 billion in deposits next month. People use that to set budgets, FHLB borrowing limits, and operational cash as well as the liquidity ratio. But that doesn’t mean that we will do exactly that amount. So I think you are blurring the lines of what stats are used for.
    Not at all since I'm also a part of the banking industry.

However, the results are eventually the deciding factor. The RPs that struggle to protect leads (for reasons other than their FIP) will be replaced or left with great free tickets to watch the games for a bit just like you'll get dumped if you continually project deposits incorrectly leading those budgets to be wrong. Everything eventually boils down to the "what have you done for me lately" scenario.

Really funny (and completely off-topic) note - I consistently hear folks who make peanuts yet who voted for and continue to support Trump in the extremely poor part of the world I live in constantly gush about how great the economy is right now even though they've not been given a raise since he took office and said smoking hot economy hasn't added a single job in the area outside of a few new waitress and bartender positions. No new industries are relocating to the backwoods and wages continue to be stagnant even though the cost of living and housing costs happen to be exploding in these areas, yet these people don't understand they're not one red cent better off than they were before. They keep looking at numbers they don't understand and believe with all their hearts that things are awesome even though they can afford less and less with each passing day.

I "get" what you guys are talking about when looking deeper inside these numbers - and appreciate the points that are being made - it's just that those stats don't matter on the scoreboard, and people aren't going to games to see guys with strong FIP/xFIPs blow leads for very long...they're not going to pay to see that when they can watch it at home and see all those other numbers they don't keep track of on the scoreboards.
    Last edited by clvclv; 09-07-2018 at 03:17 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    No doubt - but the funny thing is that a big part of that 90% isn't in playoff contention.
    our pen is in the upper quartile among those in playoff contention when it comes to FIP over the second half of the season

"I am your retribution."

25. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

clvclv (09-07-2018)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    our pen is in the upper quartile among those in playoff contention when it comes to FIP over the second half of the season
    Which is exactly what I bet every last Braves fan said as they were heading to their car at SunTrust Park Wednesday afternoon. "I'm still glad I paid for my ticket today, and I'll be back tomorrow because Winkler, Venters, and Brach still have strong FIPs."
    Last edited by clvclv; 09-07-2018 at 03:24 PM.