Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So Who Goes???

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

So Who Goes???

One of Rio/Flaherty likely has to be taken off the 40-Man Roster so they can activate Viz tomorrow.

Not sure it makes sense to take anyone else off - anyone else see other ideas?
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Chuck Hernandez
    Forever Fredi

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

bravesfanMatt (09-12-2018), Jaw (09-12-2018), jpx7 (09-12-2018), UNCBlue012 (09-12-2018)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Duval

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Rump View Post
    Chuck Hernandez
    The jokes about Chucky are still funny, but it's beginning to look like it's going to take something extraordinary to get him replaced at this point. The biggest question most people had for the Braves coming into the year was about the pitching, particularly the young pitching (and rightfully so). As of now, the staff ranks...

7th in ERA (3rd in the NL), with home/away splits being roughly the same and the overall (3.71) is a full run better than last season.

I'm definitely not attached to him at all either, but Folty's obviously taken his yugest step forward under him, Newk looks like he's almost ready to take another step forward (simply inconsistent like Folty was prior to this year), and Touki looks like he's being handled pretty well. Not sure he's been particularly great with the pen guys, but the addition of more talent, Sobotka, and the transitioning of a SP or two (Gohara, Fried, Wilson, Weigel) to replace the Moylans and Freemans we had as placeholders to start the season could probably take care of the issues there.
    Last edited by clvclv; 09-12-2018 at 12:03 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    The jokes about Chucky are still funny, but it's beginning to look like it's going to take something extraordinary to get him replaced at this point. The biggest question most people had for the Braves coming into the year was about the pitching, particularly the young pitching (and rightfully so). As of now, the staff ranks...

7th in ERA (3rd in the NL), with home/away splits being roughly the same and the overall (3.71) is a full run better than last season.

I'm definitely not attached to him at all either, but Folty's obviously taken his yugest step forward under him, Newk looks like he's almost ready to take another step forward (simply inconsistent like Folty was prior to this year), and Touki looks like he's being handled pretty well. Not sure he's been particularly great with the pen guys, but the addition of more talent, Sobotka, and the transitioning of a SP or two (Gohara, Fried, Wilson, Weigel) to replace the Moylans and Freemans we had as placeholders to start the season could probably take care of the issues there.
    IMO, Sancherz has had more of a positive effect on Folty and Julio and others than has Hernandez. He's always talking to them when we see dugout shots on TV. Should he decide to call it quits at the end of the year, the Braves should do their best to sign him. If he still wants to pitch, re-sign him with thoughts regarding coaching the young guys(being a player coach).

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to salmagundy For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (09-15-2018), jpx7 (09-12-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Oh, I don’t know, probably one of the 4 pitchers on the 40 they didn’t like enough to put on the active roster when rosters expanded.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-12-2018)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Oh, I don’t know, probably one of the 4 pitchers on the 40 they didn’t like enough to put on the active roster when rosters expanded.
    In this vein, I would guess Parsons.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by salmagundy View Post
    IMO, Sancherz has had more of a positive effect on Folty and Julio and others than has Hernandez. He's always talking to them when we see dugout shots on TV. Should he decide to call it quits at the end of the year, the Braves should do their best to sign him. If he still wants to pitch, re-sign him with thoughts regarding coaching the young guys(being a player coach).
    Just found this from DOB.

SAN FRANCISCO – Mike Foltynewicz didn’t pitch in a two-game May series at Tampa Bay, but it was nonetheless an important trip for the Braves right-hander. Important for a conversation he had with Anibal Sanchez, the Braves veteran whose influence has extended well beyond his contributions on the mound this season, which have been considerable in their own right.

Foltynewicz allowed nine hits and six runs in five innings of a May 4 home loss against the San Francisco Giants, raising his ERA to 3.65 and opponents’ average to .236 through seven starts, with 43 strikeouts, 17 walks and four homers allowed in 37 innings. Good, but not anything special for a young pitcher whose power arm and talent have long suggested he was capable of more.

“Anibal pulled me aside in Tampa, and we had the same kind of conversation me and Bartolo (Colon) had last year,” Foltynewicz said, referencing the elder statesman of the 2017 rotation before Colon was released early that...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to salmagundy For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-12-2018)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Don't think many would disagree that Sanchez has had as much or more to do with the improvement (certainly from the SPs). However, the guy in charge (in this case Chucky, during the run Leo) will always get a big chunk of the credit (and blame) - rightly or wrongly. Managers and Coaches constantly get fired when players don't perform even though they're not throwing the pitches. They'll also always get credit for how marvelously they "handled so many personalities" or "made amazing moves when they followed their guts rather than the metrics" and beat the odds once in a blue moon.

Snitker and Chucky are going to get a large part of the credit for this team making the playoffs a year ahead of schedule whether anyone likes them (or believes they deserve any credit) or not - just the way it is.

NL Rookie of the Year Acuña’s Bat Flip's Avatar
    Gaffney, South Carolina (Home of the Big Butt "Peach" on I-85)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    I'd keep Rio around.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    In this vein, I would guess Parsons.
    Yea, probably Parsons as he was hinted at on the bubble not long ago. Rio Ruiz and Duvall are not in any danger, lol at folks suggesting them. Even RF is safe for same reason they brought him back. They also could add a pitcher to the 60-day DL I suppose.

NL Rookie of the Year Acuña’s Bat Flip's Avatar
    Gaffney, South Carolina (Home of the Big Butt "Peach" on I-85)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    Good points!

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Duval
    I think you hold on to him until at least December or so until you have some kind of idea of what you have in the outfield. I personally hope Neck is allowed to walk. All that is wrong with AD is he is not playing everyday and rightfully so, but I bet we would see an uptick if he played more regularly. The pickup was odd at the time but as it turns out it was the wake up call Ender needed so it worked out well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts

SAN FRANCISCO – Mike Foltynewicz didn’t pitch in a two-game May series at Tampa Bay, but it was nonetheless an important trip for the Braves right-hander. Important for a conversation he had with Anibal Sanchez, the Braves veteran whose influence has extended well beyond his contributions on the mound this season, which have been considerable in their own right.

Foltynewicz allowed nine hits and six runs in five innings of a May 4 home loss against the San Francisco Giants, raising his ERA to 3.65 and opponents’ average to .236 through seven starts, with 43 strikeouts, 17 walks and four homers allowed in 37 innings. Good, but not anything special for a young pitcher whose power arm and talent have long suggested he was capable of more.

“Anibal pulled me aside in Tampa, and we had the same kind of conversation me and Bartolo (Colon) had last year,” Foltynewicz said, referencing the elder statesman of the 2017 rotation before Colon was released early that...
    Man... Anibal has turned into a fantastic pickup... talk about a signing I couldn't have been more "don't care" about. He's been great in the rotation and his influence has been amazing. Anibal for pitching coach... after he's done dominating.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

Jaw (09-14-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts

Bartolo was such a huge pick up. Maybe even huger than Laird.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (09-14-2018)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts
    I'd love to have Sanchez as our pitching coach when he retires.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,314 Posts
    It's official. Gohare was put on the 60 day DL for Viz.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Garmel For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-14-2018)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garmel View Post
    It's official. Gohare was put on the 60 day DL for Viz.
    Thought for sure it would be Duvall

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,003 Posts
    Yeah Duvall adds zero value at this point.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Wait so it wasn’t BiLE or Duran Duran?
    Coppy

28. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-14-2018)