Thread: More love for La Stella from BA

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

More love for La Stella from BA

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minor...tella-can-hit/

BA is doing a few pieces on the Braves today but most are pay.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Teheran_49 For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (10-29-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    From reading his BA scouting report it sounds like his ability to play a full season is in question. So even if he does come up and hit a platoon might be best to keep him fresh. He sounds like exactly what the Braves need, someone who can get on base. All the power in the world doesnt help if you cant get guys on base in front of them. I have to think he is the front runner for the job going into spring training.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I just don't get why we wouldn't want to have a hitter with his profile on the team.
    Natural Immunity Croc

5. The Following User Says Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-29-2013)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    His offensive profile likely isn't being questioned here. Even if he could step right in and put up an OBP of .350, his defense is horrid. You settle for horrid defense at 2B if you are getting Jeff Kent or Uggla in his prime offense. You do not put up with his horrid defense up the middle for a guy putting up a 700-750 OPS.

I can't stress this enough...TLS didn't sniff the field while the Braves were running Eliot freaking Johnson out there every day. That should tell you all you need to know about just how bad they consider his defensive skills to be.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Have you seen LaStella play? Last year we were told how horrid Gattis was at catcher.
    Natural Immunity Croc

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-29-2013), Teheran_49 (10-29-2013)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Have you seen LaStella play? Last year we were told how horrid Gattis was at catcher.
    I have not seen him play. But I have seen Uggla play. No way is he a downgrade from Uggla.

We were told CJ and Gattis were awful. Maybe I just don't know enough, but neither was bad to me. I thought Gattis was a notch or two better at C than CJ was at 3B, but I feel like I've seen far worse in the field.

Almost anyone is an offensive upgrade over Uggla and BJ from last year. Almost anyone is a defensive upgrade over Uggla.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Russ2dollas For This Useful Post:

GovClintonTyree (10-29-2013), thethe (10-29-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    I have not seen him play. But I have seen Uggla play. No way is he a downgrade from Uggla.

We were told CJ and Gattis were awful. Maybe I just don't know enough, but neither was bad to me. I thought Gattis was a notch or two better at C than CJ was at 3B, but I feel like I've seen far worse in the field.

Almost anyone is an offensive upgrade over Uggla and BJ from last year. Almost anyone is a defensive upgrade over Uggla.
    Evan had a +3 DRS in 340 some odd innings as a catcher this year. He was -10 in left field.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    Evan had a +3 DRS in 340 some odd innings as a catcher this year. He was -10 in left field.
    you are right. I should have clarified. Gattis at C.

I'm not sold on defensive metrics like I am offensive. But Gattis is a good example for this defensive discussion. Gattis looked bad in LF, he got better, but was still really bad in LF. That is what I expected him to look like at C and what I expected CJ to look like at 3B based on what national writers wrote.

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    From BA:

Born: Jan. 31, 1989. B-T: L-R. Ht.: 5-11.
    Wt.: 185. Drafted.: Coastal Carolina, 2011 (8th round). Signed by: Billy Best.

Background: La Stella transferred from St. John’s to Coastal Carolina and emerged as a second-team All-American and the Big South Conference player of the year in 2011. Injuries slowed him in 2012 before La Stella put together an impressive season in the Double-A Southern League, where he was ranked as the circuit’s No. 16 prospect

Scouting Report: La Stella has hit at every level thanks to great hand-eye coordination and above-average bat speed. He has an excellent approach and exceptional feel for the strike zone, which helps him rack up more walks than strikeouts. La Stella also shines as a situational hitter with his ability to advance runners via the hit-and-run or by bunting. He runs the bases well and with intelligence despite not being blessed with great quick-twitch athleticism. Defensively, he makes all of the routine plays at the keystone and has an average arm. Nagging injuries, including an elbow issue this season, have kept him from playing even 100 games in a season.

The Future: Braves fans are begging for La Stella to get an opportunity to unseat Dan Uggla at second base. Finances could play a role, but his bat appears to be near big league ready if needed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I just don't get why we wouldn't want to have a hitter with his profile on the team.
    Wren isn't going to even acknowledge we have an in-house solution while he tries to dump Uggla and his millions on somebody.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Moving Uggla and finding a second baseman don't have to be linked.

With respect to moving Uggla, Wren needs to have a minimum in mind. I would say that minimum should be the other team picks up a total of around $8 mil (or equivalent compensation) of his remaining salary over the next two years. This means we eat the remaining $18M.

With respect to finding a second baseman, Wren shouldn't feel pressured to make a deal given that we have some decent in-house possibilities. If a good opportunity presents itself for someone with a good contract (like Howie Kendrick) then he should explore a deal. Which way we go should be pretty much independent of what happens with respect to Uggla.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    I'm sure La Stella's range isn't great or even his arm but his fielding % show that he doesn't make many errors for what it's worth. Kendrick is just not a good hitter,IMO. He hits for a decent average but the guy doesn't take walks and is a free swinger. something we have plenty of and something I'm tired of seeing. CJ was pretty bad at 3b early in the season but he really made huge strides and has a great arm. We have the best defensive SS whose game is growing in every aspect and a pretty dang good 1B. I'm sure La Stella will make some blunders at 2B but like Johnson the more reps he gets the better he will play and the higher his confidence will be.

His background shows that he's a guy who works hard and has gotten better every year and I'm sure he will be working hard this off-season knowing he has a chance to make the big leagues.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

I can't stress this enough...TLS didn't sniff the field while the Braves were running Eliot freaking Johnson out there every day. That should tell you all you need to know about just how bad they consider his defensive skills to be.
    You're making assumptions and have no way of knowing that for a fact. There were a few reasons they may not have wanted to use him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teheran_49 View Post
    I'm sure La Stella's range isn't great or even his arm but his fielding % show that he doesn't make many errors for what it's worth. Kendrick is just not a good hitter,IMO. He hits for a decent average but the guy doesn't take walks and is a free swinger. something we have plenty of and something I'm tired of seeing. CJ was pretty bad at 3b early in the season but he really made huge strides and has a great arm. We have the best defensive SS whose game is growing in every aspect and a pretty dang good 1B. I'm sure La Stella will make some blunders at 2B but like Johnson the more reps he gets the better he will play and the higher his confidence will be.

His background shows that he's a guy who works hard and has gotten better every year and I'm sure he will be working hard this off-season knowing he has a chance to make the big leagues.
    I'm weary of Kendrick, too. I could see him as a guy who has a few good seasons but not long, sustained success. And he will cost a ton in the way of pitching to get right now, and I'm not down for that either.