Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts

Looking at the NL East 2019.

With Braves clinching, looking ahead to 2019.

- Marlins, up and coming team, but not there yet. Some good young pitching, not much to say about them.

- Mets are in a precarious situation. Thor, DeGrom, Wheeler is probably the best 1-2-3 in the NL, Matz is a solid 4. Their lineup next year should be better with Alonso, McNeil, Rosario, Frazier, and an outfield of Cespedes, Nimmo, and Conforto. They honestly scare me more than Philly does. If they improve their pen, that's a solid team.

- Nats even if they lose Harper have a solid team. Zimmerman, Kendrick, Turner, Rendon and Soto, Eaton, Robles is a solid outfield. They need to improve their bullpen/rotation but they should have some money to spend if Harper dips. Not sure how much they'll spend if Harper leaves.

- Phillies, not sure what they do. They obviously have a ton of money to spend but players gotta commit first. Biggest concern with them is other than Sixto whose probably untouchable, they dont have much to trade if someone gets available in a trade. For someone whose into analytics as much as Kapler is, it amazes me they dont value defense as much. Their rotation 1-5 is pretty solid with Nola, Arrieta, Velazquez, Elfin and Pivetta, but i could see them replacing one of them and moving one of them in the pen or getting rid of the latter 3.

Will certainly be a much harder road to the NL East title next year for the Braves but with a full year of Acuna, Camargo full-time 3B, full year of Gausman, and a much better bullpen from the start, it should even out. Biggest holes for the Braves imo is probably one veteran BP arm, a bench bat, starting C, and starting OF. I dont think we have as much to spend as some think, dont see us in on Machado or Harper.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,761 Posts
    3rd place is staring us right in the face.
    Forever Fredi

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (09-22-2018), Dalyn (09-24-2018), Heyward (09-22-2018), jpx7 (09-22-2018), Tapate50 (09-23-2018), UNCBlue012 (09-24-2018)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Rump View Post
    3rd place is staring us right in the face.
    Draft picks!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-22-2018), UNCBlue012 (09-24-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,494 Posts
    Next years team is already FINNISH
    Get off my lawn!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanforlife88 For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (09-22-2018), UNCBlue012 (09-24-2018)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    I'm the most worried about the Phillies and the Mets. I think the Nationals are going to take a significant step back with some aging players and no Harper. Although the Soto, Turner, Robles trio could be pretty darn good. Miami is going to be trash again.

The Phillies scare me because of all the money they have. I think they are going to get either Machado or Harper. They need to move Santana for sure to put Hoskins at 1st. They'll probably try to grab another good offensive piece on top of Harper/Machado that can play decent defense. They will still have enough left over to shore up the rotation and bullpen with big signings as well. I could see them going after guys like Kimbrel and Corbin. They are going to be much better next year and we need to have a solid offseason in order to stay ahead of them.

The Mets are scary because their core is so strong when its healthy. That rotation has an insane amount of upside. Its just a matter of keeping them healthy and productive. If that happens, they need to improve their offense and bullpen a good bit, but I think they are probably capable of that. They need to go out and get a good bat or two plus a couple of high leverage bullpen arms.

With the right additions, I still think we will enter next year as the favorites in the division, but we have got to do enough to keep pace.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BeanieAntics For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (09-22-2018), cajunrevenge (09-24-2018), UNCBlue012 (09-24-2018)

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    I'm the most worried about the Phillies and the Mets. I think the Nationals are going to take a significant step back with some aging players and no Harper. Although the Soto, Turner, Robles trio could be pretty darn good. Miami is going to be trash again.

The Phillies scare me because of all the money they have. I think they are going to get either Machado or Harper. They need to move Santana for sure to put Hoskins at 1st. They'll probably try to grab another good offensive piece on top of Harper/Machado that can play decent defense. They will still have enough left over to shore up the rotation and bullpen with big signings as well. I could see them going after guys like Kimbrel and Corbin. They are going to be much better next year and we need to have a solid offseason in order to stay ahead of them.

The Mets are scary because their core is so strong when its healthy. That rotation has an insane amount of upside. Its just a matter of keeping them healthy and productive. If that happens, they need to improve their offense and bullpen a good bit, but I think they are probably capable of that. They need to go out and get a good bat or two plus a couple of high leverage bullpen arms.

With the right additions, I still think we will enter next year as the favorites in the division, but we have got to do enough to keep pace.
    I'm not sure Philly gets all of Harper/Machado, Corbin AND Kimbrel even though they have a lot of money. But Philly's checkbook is their greatest strength,i agree overall though.

Also, regarding Harper, why would he sign with Philly if say the Yankees, Cubs, Dodgers all threw a lot of money at him who are CLEARLY superior teams to Philly is.
    Last edited by Heyward; 09-24-2018 at 09:02 AM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post

Yankees and Dodgers are more likely to sign Machado and Harper than Philly. It's the whole reason they cleared payroll recently. I'm betting Philly signs 1 each of Grandal/Ramos and LeMahieu/Lowrie. They need OF help too, so Cutch, Pollock, Jones, Neck, and Bradley are options. Kimbrell might be high on their list but Boston undoubtedly wants to keep him as well. Given their needs, I doubt Kimbrell is high on their list.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts

Kimbrel*
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Yankees and Dodgers are more likely to sign Machado and Harper than Philly. It's the whole reason they cleared payroll recently. I'm betting Philly signs 1 each of Grandal/Ramos and LeMahieu/Lowrie. They need OF help too, so Cutch, Pollock, Jones, Neck, and Bradley are options. Kimbrell might be high on their list but Boston undoubtedly wants to keep him as well. Given their needs, I doubt Kimbrell is high on their list.
    Where would a Lemathieu or Lowrie play?

Philly has a bit of a logjam in the infield. Hoskins, Santana, Hernandez, Kingery, Crawford, Franco to name a few. That's 6 guys for 4 spots right there. And Bohm if he's legit should be up in a year or so.

Outfield isnt quite as jammed with Quinn, Herrera, Williams, Altherr.

I could see Philly in on some bullpen guys but not Kimbrel even though they could throw him any offer he wants.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Where would a Lemathieu or Lowrie play?

Philly has a bit of a logjam in the infield. Hoskins, Santana, Hernandez, Kingery, Crawford, Franco to name a few. That's 6 guys for 4 spots right there. And Bohm if he's legit should be up in a year or so.

Outfield isnt quite as jammed with Quinn, Herrera, Williams, Altherr.

I could see Philly in on some bullpen guys but not Kimbrel even though they could throw him any offer he wants.

Makes one wonder if the Phillies should consider trading Hoskins.

If not, Bour and Franco might be players that some teams would be interested in their remaining years of control. Maikel Franco might draw some post hype interest as well. Perhaps someone might have ideas of getting him off 3B and seeing if the bat still has a breakout in it.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post

If not, Bour and Franco might be players that some teams would be interested in their remaining years of control. Maikel Franco might draw some post hype interest as well. Perhaps someone might have ideas of getting him off 3B and seeing if the bat still has a breakout in it.
    they got Bour for nothing. Franco has shown very little. he's still young, but i'm not sure what kind of upside is there anymore. he's already a 1B at best, and he doesn't have the bat for it.

trading hoskins..the fans would murder the FO. they overrate him a lot, so they love him.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    they got Bour for nothing. Franco has shown very little. he's still young, but i'm not sure what kind of upside is there anymore. he's already a 1B at best, and he doesn't have the bat for it.

trading hoskins..the fans would murder the FO. they overrate him a lot, so they love him.

I sort of think Franco might have a breakout left in him. Thought maybe we were seeing it for awhile this year, but not so much.

You're right though about Bour not having much value based on his market at trade deadline.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post

I seriously doubt that Philly trades Hoskins. They are going to do everything they can to move Santana and move Hoskins to 1st. Or at least they should. Whatever they do, I see them having a tremendous amount of turnover this year. Lots of trades to move guys out and lots of signings to move guys in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    he clearly needed more work in the minors despite his good lines there last season. he was hyper-aggressive and struck out a bit too much. not only did they sign him, therefore basically eliminating the possibility of sending him back down, they didn't play him every day and moved him all over the place when they did. idk how strong the data is behind it, but it always seemed that when you have a young player who needs more polish, playing him 1. every day and 2. in a familiar spot is helpful. they did neither of these things.
    Yea, I thought it was strange also how they didn't even play him every day and basically jerked him around all season.