Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Braves Post Season Roster

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Riley is also an option. I hadn't thought of him. But under the rules the Braves can petition to add him.
    Wouldn't do it. He'd get maybe 1 AB per game

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Don't know that he'd be particularly effective after having been more or less shut down for the year for a couple weeks - of course Flaherty and Rio haven't seen much live pitching lately either.
    It's pretty unlikely that any of them will have a high leverage at bat. But it's an unfortunate consequence of Swanson's injury that we have to essentially waste a roster spot on a backup infielder we can't count on much from.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

3. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-01-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    As much as I like Duda as a pinch hitter, it is always preferable to have bench players who are not so limited defensively. If we had say Solarte or Dietrich rather than Duda, we would be in a better situation with Swanson's injury.

"I am your retribution."

5. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-01-2018)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    It's pretty unlikely that any of them will have a high leverage at bat. But it's an unfortunate consequence of Swanson's injury that we have to essentially waste a roster spot on a backup infielder we can't count on much from.
    But certainly much more likely that Austin could run into one if he did - especially since no one's going to have much of a book on him yet.

Of course it's not "optimal", but it's awfully hard to forget Andruw in Yankee Stadium when they thought they could get fastballs by him all those years ago.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    But certainly much more likely that Austin could run into one if he did - especially since no one's going to have much of a book on him yet.

Of course it's not "optimal", but it's awfully hard to forget Andruw in Yankee Stadium when they thought they could get fastballs by him all those years ago.

They aren't going to put someone on the playoff roster who has never appeared in a Major League game. If this was even a possibility they would have called him up sometime in September.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    I think Wright and Wilson are obviously not going. The next two who should be left off are Luke Jackson and Carle.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    Rotation:

1. Folty
    2. Sanchez
    3. Gausman
    4. Teheran

Starters:

5. Acuna
    6. Camargo
    7. Freeman
    8. Neck
    9. Suzuki/Flowers
    9. Inciarte
    10. Culberson
    11. Albies

Pen:

12. Viz
    13. Minter
    14. Touki
    15. Newk
    16. Sobotka
    17. Venters
    18. Brach
    19. Freid

20. Flowers/Suzuki
    21. Adams
    22. Duda
    23. Duval
    24. Ruiz
    25. Rivera

I left out guys like Biddle, Freeman, Winkler....guys who have had severe struggles throwing strikes or getting outs consistently...They should go down to Orlando to stay loose for the next round or in case of injury. I added Rivera to the bench as a defensive replacement so you can pinch hit with Flowers/Suzuki. Ruiz to provide a back up option at SS/3B/2B in case of injury. Adams as an outfield back up, or pinch runner.
    Get off my lawn!

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    They aren't going to put someone on the playoff roster who has never appeared in a Major League game. If this was even a possibility they would have called him up sometime in September.
    Hence the reason I said it sure makes one wonder if they'll regret not calling him up to begin with and dealing with trying to game his clock next spring.

Of course it's not likely to happen, but wouldn't it have been worth keeping him down until next July to have had that bat down the stretch and during the playoffs??? It's not like Camargo couldn't stay at 3B or Charlie and Rio couldn't have held it down for the beginning of the year if they happen to try to make Johan an OF.

Now that it's down to crapshoot time, I'd sure like to have the gun full of bullets.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Rotation:

1. Folty
    2. Sanchez
    3. Gausman
    4. Teheran

Starters:

5. Acuna
    6. Camargo
    7. Freeman
    8. Neck
    9. Suzuki/Flowers
    9. Inciarte
    10. Culberson
    11. Albies

Pen:

12. Viz
    13. Minter
    14. Touki
    15. Newk
    16. Sobotka
    17. Venters
    18. Brach
    19. Freid

20. Flowers/Suzuki
    21. Adams
    22. Duda
    23. Duval
    24. Ruiz
    25. Rivera

I left out guys like Biddle, Freeman, Winkler....guys who have had severe struggles throwing strikes or getting outs consistently...They should go down to Orlando to stay loose for the next round or in case of injury. I added Rivera to the bench as a defensive replacement so you can pinch hit with Flowers/Suzuki. Ruiz to provide a back up option at SS/3B/2B in case of injury. Adams as an outfield back up, or pinch runner.
    Don't really disagree with this other than to point out that you can make the argument that Newk and Fried can be described that way as well. They certainly have the higher upside (of course), but you've gotta wonder if putting Touki, Newk, and/or Fried in the pen and asking them to get ready much faster than they're used to will throw their command and control off enough to make them just as unreliable.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    People being so down on Winkler makes little sense. He’s one of the Braves’ best relievers.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Don't really disagree with this other than to point out that you can make the argument that Newk and Fried can be described that way as well. They certainly have the higher upside (of course), but you've gotta wonder if putting Touki, Newk, and/or Fried in the pen and asking them to get ready much faster than they're used to will throw their command and control off enough to make them just as unreliable.
    Touki's walk rate in the majors was 6.5 per nine innings, Fried this season in the majors was 5.4, and Sobotka 5.7. These guys are not exactly control artists either.

"I am your retribution."

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

clvclv (10-01-2018), jpx7 (10-01-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    People being so down on Winkler makes little sense. He’s one of the Braves’ best relievers.
    He had a very good August. His velocity has been declining. But I think I would have him on the playoff roster.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    I would go with 9 relievers and make it a priority to go all out for the platoon advantage. Burn through the pen aggressively.

5 righties: Viz, Brach, Winkler, Sobotka, Touki

4 lefties: Minter, Venters, Biddle, Freeman

"I am your retribution."

17. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-01-2018)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Touki's walk rate in the majors was 6.5 per nine innings, Fried this season in the majors was 5.4, and Sobotka 5.7. These guys are not exactly control artists either.
    Given his strikeout numbers, I give Sobotka a little bit more of a pass than the other guys - but that's just me (and just a little). None of them give anyone the warm-fuzzies, but Sobotka scares me just a little less since he's so hard to make contact (particularly really solid contact) against. Would love to see him make enough of a tweak to become "effectively wild" like Folty is at times - we'd have our shutdown Closer then, and Minter and Viz could set HIM up next year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    I would go with 9 relievers and make it a priority to go all out for the platoon advantage. Burn through the pen aggressively.

Totally agree. I think the team gains substantially more from an extra arm in the bullpen than from reserving an extra infielder.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    Of course the argument could be made that way and I don't disagree.....but to end the season, we had Newk and Freid make an appearance out of the pen and they both looked pretty good....

Biddle and Winkler have been hit....hard
    Get off my lawn!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanforlife88 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (10-01-2018)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

Don't disagree with the strategy at all, but if you're looking for the platoon advantage doesn't it make more sense to carry Newk and Fried over Biddle and Freeman? Haven't looked at the numbers closely, but Biddle's reverse splits and Freeman's trouble with lefties at times would seem to make that advantage disappear since you just KNOW Snit would give in to the temptation to use them as LOOGYs early in games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Totally agree. I think the team gains substantially more from an extra arm in the bullpen than from reserving an extra infielder.
    I think we have to carry a back up infielder and with Swanson out it will likely be Flaherty.

The real choice in my mind is between Adams and that ninth reliever. I do like having a pinch runner like Adams in the playoffs. But I think both the Dodgers and Rockies could cause problems for our pen if we don't seek out the platoon advantage aggressively. So I would go with the nine relievers, not carry Adams, and use Teheran/Flaherty as pinch runners if the need came up.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    I think we have to carry a back up infielder and with Swanson out it will likely be Flaherty.

The real choice in my mind is between Adams and that ninth reliever. I do like having a pinch runner like Adams in the playoffs. But I think both the Dodgers and Rockies could cause problems for our pen if we don't seek out the platoon advantage aggressively. So I would go with the nine relievers, not carry Adams, and use Teheran/Flaherty as pinch runners if the need came up.
    I guess I’d rather have what Adams brings with the bat and on the bases (both superior to Flaherty), and roll the dice on the infield depth. But the question (with no good answer) definitely further highlights the issue you’ve previously raised re Duda’s positional inflexibility (relative to other bench options that were out there).

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Rotation:

1. Folty
    2. Sanchez
    3. Gausman
    4. Teheran

Starters:

5. Acuna
    6. Camargo
    7. Freeman
    8. Neck
    9. Suzuki/Flowers
    9. Inciarte
    10. Culberson
    11. Albies

Pen:

12. Viz
    13. Minter
    14. Touki
    15. Newk
    16. Sobotka
    17. Venters
    18. Brach
    19. Freid

20. Flowers/Suzuki
    21. Adams
    22. Duda
    23. Duval
    24. Ruiz
    25. Rivera

This is one player too many. You counted #9 twice. There is no way we are going to be able to carry a 6 man bench. Heck, I've been advocating for a 4 man bench so we can have that extra arm in the bullpen