Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2019 MLB Draft Order

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Wasn't the big reason the more numbers-savvy crowd was so against Beer and his lack of positional flexibility despite the big power was that those are typically guys you can find somewhat more easily? Wallner is already limited to a corner or 1B, even if he has more of a chance to provide defensive value than Beer.

Given that Acuna's likely going to provide you a 35-40 HR bat for awhile, Camargo gives you 20+ as a corner OF if he's moved, and Riley gives you 25-30 bombs wherever he eventually plays, wouldn't it make much more sense to draft an infielder with similar pop who could always be transitioned to play on the grass? If Witt and Hinds have at least a chance to stick on the dirt while providing that kind of pop, I'd much rather have either/both personally.
    I think there were plenty of reasons not to draft Beer that don't apply to Wallner. Wallner has spent most of his time at USM playing CF and is really athletic for his size. I think he would be at least an average-above average corner outfielder defensively with a plus arm. He has touched 98 several times while pitching for us at USM. I think he is more akin to a guy like Kyle Lewis than Seth Beer. The thing that I like the most about Wallner is his body. He just has so much room to grow into that huge 6'5" frame. He already has plus power, but if he develops he could end up being an easy 30 homer guy. And I don't like drafting for presumable "needs" in baseball. These guys are usually a few years out and a ton can happen in that time frame.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Going by 2018 values the Braves would have had $7.76M total for picks 9 and 21. Pick 1 was worth $8.1M and pick 2 was worth $7.5M.

The Braves could be in position to orchestrate a Top 2-3 talent falling to them at 9, and then getting another back end of the first round talent (Top 30ish) at 21 if they are willing to move some other money around.

I would like to see them get the best player possible to fall to 9, and then draft whoever it takes with later picks to make the money work. Mize signed for $7.5M, Bart for $7M, and Bohm for $5.8M, so it is definitely possible the Braves waive $7M+ in front of a Top 2-3 talent and get him to fall to 9.
    Yeah we should just go BPA for our first pick. We can afford to go over slot and I still think we could make the numbers work enough to get a high end talent with the 2nd pick as well. Next year's draft is setting up really nicely for us to rejuvenate our farm from the guys who we have graduated this year.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    Yeah we should just go BPA for our first pick. We can afford to go over slot and I still think we could make the numbers work enough to get a high end talent with the 2nd pick as well. Next year's draft is setting up really nicely for us to rejuvenate our farm from the guys who we have graduated this year.
    We should always go BPA at every pick.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    We should always go BPA at every pick.
    Obviously you can't go BPA for every single pick. That is silly. If you did that then you would be over your allotment by the 5th pick in the draft.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    There are like 2-3 picks that matter. The rest should just be used as money to get the best 2-3 guys at the top.

The Braves are in a position to buy a Top 2-3 guy at 9. If such a player exists I hope they pull it off.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    There are like 2-3 picks that matter. The rest should just be used as money to get the best 2-3 guys at the top.

The Braves are in a position to buy a Top 2-3 guy at 9. If such a player exists I hope they pull it off.
    I agree. People like to point out the occasional 17th round pick that turns into a good player. They put forth the exception as the rule. But, most often the best players are picked early. Guys like Smoltz who was picked by Detroit in the 29th round were signability guys where either the player overplayed their demands or the clubs mis-evaluated the desire to sign and play. The guy getting $150K is really not that likely to ever amount to anything.

Because of that I think the way to draft is to put as much as necessary into signing the best players you can in rounds 1-4, even if that means you go budget pick the rest of the way.