Page 32 of 227 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282132 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AUTiger7222 View Post
    Oh don't give me that BS. There was the missed personal foul against FSU for the hit to the head of Sammie Coates that should have wiped an interception which FSU got a TD off of. There were clear holds not called against FSU but they made sure to call holding against AU. Just take your football and shut up.
    As someone who did not care who won, no way Auburn got shafted the way you're suggesting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    wow, I agree with giles -- wow

FSU all year has played even or behind for a quarter and a half until the coaches adjusted the plan to suit the opponent. This game was no different. It was assumed by those that follow FSU closely that AU would score early - what wasn't known was how many points and if they would hold up . 21? Yeah with the way AU punting game kept field position 21 makes sense.

Suppose AU kicker makes that FG in the 1st quarter - different tactical game in the 2nd half? Fake punt being down 24-3? It would have led to a tied game to say the least -- after midway through the 2nd quarter this game was all FSU
    Numbers bear that out - so if FSU and AU played 100 times my guess is FSU wins 90 of those times. AU is fun to watch - but gimmicks wear thin after -- a quarter and a half.

Unless you are some powerhouse SEC team like Alabama or Missouri (where is that sarcasm emoticon?)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    The blitz got to him at times, but they had several dropped passes that is very uncharacteristic of FSU. Mainly Benjamin. They also were getting mugged by the Auburn defensive backs and it took them time to adjust to how the refs were allowing contact.

LOL; Auburn has "SEC" speed in the front 7. FSU has "SEC" speed at every position.

Of the 22 offensive and defensive starters, 18 arrived as four- or five-star recruits, and 11–fully half–were rated in Rivals.com's top 100 prospects in their respective classes. Nine were projected as the No. 1 or No. 2 prospect at their respective positions, including Jameis Winston, the No. 10 overall player in 2012. (To put that last number in perspective, Alabama has five starters who were ranked No. 1 or 2 at their positions, and the Crimson Tide have assembled Rivals' No. 1 overall recruiting class five of the last six years. Auburn has three.) After a solid decade of diminishing returns on good-not-great recruiting efforts under Bowden, the celebrated 2011 and 2012 classes under Fisher are leaving the hype in the dust.

(*If you're keeping score at home: Jameis Winston, James Wilder Jr., Nick O'Leary, Mario Edwards Jr., Timmy Jernigan, Eddie Goldman, Christian Jones, Lamarcus Joyner and Ronald Darby.)

All of which is to say that any and all comparisons to Notre Dame last year (or, say, Ohio State in 2006-07) in respect to"SEC Speed," etc, are woefully misguided. True, the schedule (like the vast majority of college schedules) hasn't presented FSU with a week-in, week-out gauntlet. But where the Fighting Irish scratched, clawed and lucked their way into the championship game against Bama by the skin of their teeth, the Seminoles have obliterated every opponent on that schedule with historic ease: At 42.3 points per game, they're on pace to record the widest scoring margin of any major team, against any schedule, since World War II.
    I don't disagree with your argument that FSU was the best team this year. I disagree with your argument that the SEC is overrated. And since I know you are extremely consistent with your logic, I will assume that you will happily take your rivals recruiting ranking argument and apply it toward the SEC as a whole. SEC typically has at least 6 teams ranked in the top 15 in rivals recruiting (UF, Bama, LSU, Barn, UT, UGA, etc..). Sometimes a team falls out, but is replaced with another team. And the SEC has at least ten teams in the top 25 and sometimes more. Compare that to the ACC who typically only has 4 teams consistently finish in the top 25 and only one team who consistently finishes top 15. Miami and Clemson are typically around #15 and sometimes finish better, but not consistently. That's it.

So you agree with me now that the SEC is by and large a significantly better conference than the ACC, using your own logic?
    thank you weso1!

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    The refs were fine both ways.

As was the game, best one since Texas/USC.

And yeah, Auburn was mugging the FSU receivers most of the game.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    When have I ever said the ACC was a better conference than the SEC?

My argument is always the SEC is overated and you see teams ranked in the top 25 or top 15 that don't deserve it. They then go to bowl games and play other conferences and don't look like they belong where they are ranked (which the excuse is made, they weren't motiviated)

Called Up to the Major Leagues AUTiger7222's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BRule View Post
    Blaming the refs, cute....I suppose we should just ignore the 4-5 calls that didn't called on Auburn? They flat out mugged FSU's WRs in the 1st half and nothing got called.
    I didn't blame the loss on the refs. Just pointing out a major flaw in his statement that every call went against FSU because that was a bunch of bull. There were many calls missed on both sides. Those refs were a complete joke.

AU lost because their special teams had a horrible game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    As someone who did not care who won, no way Auburn got shafted the way you're suggesting.
    Never said they did. But Giles is crazy if he thinks the refs were out to get FSU and gave AU every call.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    LOL, that was no where close to a personal foul on the int. How about the horsecollar tackle? The "unsportsmanlike conduct" on the td that could have completely changed the game? Auburn defensive backs were grabbing the entire game...not surprising with a Big 10 officiating crew that they would overlook that. How about Auburn recovering 3 of their own fumbles?
    So hitting receivers that don't have the ball in the head is a legal play now?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Where's striker?
    The Atlanta Braves signed Nick Markakis for 4/45 - Never forget 12/3/2014

"Klay Thompson > James Harden" - Heyward

"Chris Bosh is the MVP of the Miami Heat" - Heyward

"Hibbert is better than Dwight Howard"- Heyward

"Steven Adams will be a top 10 center in two years - thethe

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Never said they did. But Giles is crazy if he thinks the refs were out to get FSU and gave AU every call.
    What about the horsecollar that wasnt called?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    What about the horsecollar that wasnt called?
    They missed a clear horsecollar and facemask that should have been called against AU. But again. Not every call went against FSU like he's claiming. I've not been the only one to point out that major flaw in his statement. I just appear to be the only getting questioned for pointing it out. Gee. I wonder why that is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    I didn't blame the loss on the refs. Just pointing out a major flaw in his statement that every call went against FSU because that was a bunch of bull. There were many calls missed on both sides. Those refs were a complete joke.

AU lost because their special teams had a horrible game.

As a die hard FSU fan let me say that FSU won because they had the ball last
    Helluva game

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    As a die hard FSU fan let me say that FSU won because they had the ball last
    Helluva game
    I'll never understand Gus sitting on a 21-10 lead right before halftime knowing that FSU had just scored a TD and was about to get the ball to start the 2nd half.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Local radio is agreeing with you as I type but I don't think he did. What I saw is like I said earlier - FSU coaches adjusted.
    Shoot the 3 games I've seen AU play -- Malzahn(?) doesn't acknowledge the notion of sitting on anything. :)

I'm curious to see how AU plays in their league next year- if SEC coaches use the 2nd half of this game to scheme on AU.
    And inversely , will (edit: not will but how) Malzahn take that into consideration and come out with his own adjustments.

In case you haven't gathered I am very impressed with the AU coaching staff
    Had Melvin Ray in baseball as a 13 year old in All Star tournament play. He was originally signed by Alabama but grades. Then signed with the Angels want to say. Was totally surprised last night hearing his name . He is about the same age as Kelvin Benjamin 23-4ish
    Last edited by 57Brave; 01-07-2014 at 03:49 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    I think the biggest difference in the game was special teams. FSU pwnt AU in the special teams game. The easy missed FG by Auburn, poor contain and bad luck on the kickoff return, bad outside containment on the fake punt and a couple of drops on kicks.

Those of you who think FSU would've won comfortably had they gotten off to a faster start, should acknowledge that AU would've won comfortably had they played a solid special teams game.
    thank you weso1!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

AUTiger7222 (01-07-2014)

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Looks like an FSU student proofread this one

Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    When have I ever said the ACC was a better conference than the SEC?

My argument is always the SEC is overated and you see teams ranked in the top 25 or top 15 that don't deserve it. They then go to bowl games and play other conferences and don't look like they belong where they are ranked (which the excuse is made, they weren't motiviated)
    Yeah you do that thing where every time the SEC loses a game you scream OVERRATED! You can't determine if they are/aren't overrated based on one game.

Why not just use your argument and figure out which teams have the most talent. Based on your own argument the SEC should have ten SEC teams ranked in the top 25 each year.
    thank you weso1!

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Rose Bowl Champs!

Lock Tha Thread!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    For every Wake Forrest is a Kentucky. For every VaTech there is a Georgia --
    Every Duke a Vanderbilt

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    Local radio is agreeing with you as I type but I don't think he did. What I saw is like I said earlier - FSU coaches adjusted.
    Shoot the 3 games I've seen AU play -- Malzahn(?) doesn't acknowledge the notion of sitting on anything. :)

I'm curious to see how AU plays in their league next year- if SEC coaches use the 2nd half of this game to scheme on AU.
    And inversely , will (edit: not will but how) Malzahn take that into consideration and come out with his own adjustments.

In case you haven't gathered I am very impressed with the AU coaching staff
    Had Melvin Ray in baseball as a 13 year old in All Star tournament play. He was originally signed by Alabama but grades. Then signed with the Angels want to say. Was totally surprised last night hearing his name . He is about the same age as Kelvin Benjamin 23-4ish
    I'm not saying we sat on the lead in the 2nd half. I'm talking about right there at the end of the 1st half when there was around 1:30 left and we had 3 timeouts and just sat on the ball instead of trying to score.

FSU made good defensive adjustments in the 2nd half.