Results 4,241 to 4,260 of 4526

Thread: College Football Thread

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Burrow got gifted a QB friendly offense and dynamic scheme to use.

He wasn't much last year, they bring in a new OC and Orgeron is hands off, and they explode. Kirby should have done the same and Fields likely would have stayed because he would have been the better fit and beaten Fromm out. Kirby needs to get rid of this ground n pound BS. Can't keep up with explosive schemes like that. Hell even Saban let go of that concept 5+ years ago.
    Chaney's offense fit Fromm really well. Not sure exactly how different the UGA playcalling is this year compared to last, but that was the biggest change between this year and last year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    I mean they'd need to hold em to under 37...
    If Georgia could keep its offense on the field, their opponent wouldn't have as many chances to score.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Chaney's offense fit Fromm really well. Not sure exactly how different the UGA playcalling is this year compared to last, but that was the biggest change between this year and last year.
    The play calling was fairly similar. It was worse because Coley is an absolute idiot, but it was very much the same scheme. Kirby Smart is in love with the conservative, run heavy scheme and insists his OC's use it.

The biggest difference for Fromm was the fact that he lost 4 weapons in the receiving game to the NFL. The replacements were much more pedestrian. That being said, it's not like UGA's receivers were bad, they just weren't studs constantly getting open by 5 yards.

Fromm really struggles in knowing when a receiver is about to come free and throwing the receiver open. He needs to actually see the receiver come open. This leads him to giving up on receivers too early and not seeing them come open, it leads to defenses having time to react and close the distance when guys do get open, and it leads to Fromm checking down an awful lot.

When he could rely one a couple guys being wide open every play, it was easy. When those guys left and it was up to Fromm to have to know when receivers would get open and throw them open, he failed.

Fromm often gets lauded for not throwing many picks, but that's more a result of him not taking many risks. If he doesn't see a guy wide open, he checks down and dumps the ball off. It leads to a very unproductive passing game.

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,774 Posts
    Thank you, Tua.

Sincerely,
    The Bama Nation
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Todd McShay is projecting Jake Fromm as a first rounder. Any team that picks him higher than the 3rd is going to be disappointed. The guy doesn't have anywhere near an NFL arm. He didn't even really have a Power 5 arm. There's only so much you can do at the NFL level when the only throws you can make are slants, fades, and check downs to the RB.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    I think Burrow will be a bust as well. I know he's been putting up big numbers but the offensive weapons he has on offense are super talented.
    Forever Fredi

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Burrow looked legit. Yes I know he had amazing weapons, but he also throws a great deep ball and has great anticipation.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Burrow looked legit. Yes I know he had amazing weapons, but he also throws a great deep ball and has great anticipation.
    Won't be able to scramble like he does in college in NFL. Speed on defense is just way much higher quality. JaMarcus Russell used to throw a good deep ball as well.

I just dont like Burrow's arm strength, and I've seen him throw way too many off target throws be saved.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    If its Burrow vs Tua (as it likely will be) i'm probably going Tua 9\10 times.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,709 Posts
    I think Burrow will be about as good as Andy Dalton. Tua I think needs to go to a good situation that will protect him. Start him this year behind a turrible O-Line and you are asking for trouble. Should probably redshirt him the first year and build a decent offense for him over 2 offseasons. I would take Tua if I was the Lions rather than trade down unless its a ridiculous deal from the Dolphins.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    I think Burrow will be about as good as Andy Dalton. Tua I think needs to go to a good situation that will protect him. Start him this year behind a turrible O-Line and you are asking for trouble. Should probably redshirt him the first year and build a decent offense for him over 2 offseasons. I would take Tua if I was the Lions rather than trade down unless its a ridiculous deal from the Dolphins.
    Dalton is a good comp honestly. Burrow could be a good "manager", but his scramble play isn't gonna cut it in NFL where the speed is much faster. And a lot of his throws from what Iwatched were not great pro throws but saved by his receivers more than anything. ANd yes in NFL he'll have good receivers who will save his bad throws, but it won't even out IMO.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    At the last minute before the season starts, UGA QB Jamie Newman opts out claiming Covid concerns. Of course this was immediately pointed out to be a lie as things are better now than when practices began. Almost certainly an agent got in his ear and told him Covid is a convenient excuse to not play and focus on the draft.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    He isn’t very good. MSU destroyed him whatever trash bowl they played last season.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    At the last minute before the season starts, UGA QB Jamie Newman opts out claiming Covid concerns. Of course this was immediately pointed out to be a lie as things are better now than when practices began. Almost certainly an agent got in his ear and told him Covid is a convenient excuse to not play and focus on the draft.

Jt Daniels must have been playing better than him in camp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    The Big 10 looks about as stupid as possible right now.
    Ivermectin Man

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    The Big 10 looks about as stupid as possible right now.
    I agree, but why.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post

I mean it seems like he was lied too. Was basically told the starting job was his, then UGA lures JT Daniels there and he gets a waiver (for some unknown reason). Wouldn't be the 1st time Kirby has lied to a QB recruit. He's lucky Vandergriff basically is from Athens, because I think Kirby will have a hard time selling to elite QB recruits in the future.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    I mean it seems like he was lied too. Was basically told the starting job was his, then UGA lures JT Daniels there and he gets a waiver (for some unknown reason). Wouldn't be the 1st time Kirby has lied to a QB recruit. He's lucky Vandergriff basically is from Athens, because I think Kirby will have a hard time selling to elite QB recruits in the future.
    I don't know about Kirby lying. He's usually very clear that playing time isn't guaranteed. However, I could see Newman looking at the mess that is UGA's QB situation and think he would automatically start.

It also honestly wouldn't surprise me if Kirby was wanting to go with JT Daniels. Kirby has a fascination with white, unathletic QBs. This is the man that picked Jake Fromm, a future 5th round pick who barely made the Bills roster over Justin Fields, a likely future top 5 pick who would have been a favorite for the Heisman this year if not for Covid. Kirby is TERRIBLE at judging QBs.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    So now the Big Ten wants to play. This conference is a joke and it was never about the safety of the players and staff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Kirby Smart's TERRIBLE judgment with QBs continues to plague Georgia. We're playing a former walk-on at QB who has no arm, little mobility, is really short (and throws from a low angle), and who stares down receivers like they're a supermodel walking past.

However, Stetson Bennett makes the right pre-snap reads and gets the offense into the right plays. That's almost all Kirby Smart cares about from a QB.

Kirby is never going to win a title unless he realizes you need a playmaker at QB these days. He already ran off one of the top two QBs in college football in favor of a game manager.

If this keeps up he's going to eventually end up without a job and probably never realizing where he went wrong.