Results 4,141 to 4,160 of 11579

Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

NL Rookie of the Year CrazyTrain's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    I am hoping we get Realmuto for a price I like, that we re-sign Sanchez and trade Teheran, and add one of Brantley, Martinez or Puig in the OF. Plus I still hope AA is asking about Simmons from the Angels and would trade a package of Newcomb and Swanson to get him.
    I’ll never forgive the Braves for dealing Simba for that trash package. What an embarrassment.

The Angels would laugh into the phone if we asked them to take back Newk.

NL Rookie of the Year CrazyTrain's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    AA is usually good in trades, so hopefully he continues that here.
    You mean like dealing Syndergaard for Dickey?

Spring Training Invitee TheRunningAgent's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyTrain View Post
    You mean like dealing Syndergaard for Dickey?
    Every GM messes up just like we all do. Some of us learn from it. Maybe that is why he is reluctant to trade young pitching.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheRunningAgent For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (12-16-2018), jpx7 (12-16-2018), The Chosen One (12-16-2018)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    AA learned from the mistake also as a young GM. This version of AA would not do that trade. People forget Dickey was legit at the time of the trade (not the guy we know). I still would not have done the trade and in hindsight...I’m sure there are many moves he would like to have back. He also made a ton of great moves.

If anything AA might be too cautious these days. I’m good with that though, because when you hang your balls out there on a gamble....it will cost you more times than not.

AA has made his offer. He has his backup plan. He isn’t blinking. The Marlins only hope is some idiot GM comes in with a crazy offer. Luckily the Yankees don’t need a catcher or Jeter would have already made the deal for whatever crap package they offered.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,728 Posts
    If we get Realmuto I think we should stick Camargo in LF and hope he can play good defense and maintain his offensive output. If we have to we can trade for a LF bat at the trade deadline. It should be the easiest position to fill.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,361 Posts
    If we land JT then I could see a Neck deal working. Good OBP guy and lefty to balance lineup. I still hope for more than Neck but it could work for the short term. Duvall would still be there as a platoon partner for Ender and neck worse case
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,698 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    If we land JT then I could see a Neck deal working. Good OBP guy and lefty to balance lineup. I still hope for more than Neck but it could work for the short term. Duvall would still be there as a platoon partner for Ender and neck worse case
    Acuna
    Realmuto
    FF
    Donaldson
    Markakis
    Albies
    Ender
    Swanson

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,852 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Acuna
    Realmuto
    FF
    Donaldson
    Markakis
    Albies
    Ender
    Swanson
    Brantley in for Neck and that's a really good lineup

AA needs to get creative on moving Julio and structuring a Brantley deal to fit for 2019

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,361 Posts
    And I am really warming to the idea of JT for Riley plus. The addition of JT would give the braves 4 positions with a great chance at 5 war each. Then easily see at least 3 war from Ender, Ozzie and Swanson each. Say 2 war from other outfielder until he is known. And bench could be worth 4 plus. That is a plus team without any contribution from pitching yet.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,698 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post

AA needs to get creative on moving Julio and structuring a Brantley deal to fit for 2019
    I've really wanted Brantley from the beginning. Hopefully we can pull it off

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,361 Posts

I agree. I could live with Neck but much happier with Brantley. If we get JT. I think Brantley fits perfect.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    I have been against a Realmuto trade from the start. But if the request for Haniger and Peralta are unrealistic and Brantley won't back off his 20 million per year demands, I can force myself to get behind this if the offer is palatable. But if we have to overpay for anyone, I'd rather overpay for Haniger who's a better player at a position of actual need and has 5 years of control.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    If we get Realmuto I think we should stick Camargo in LF and hope he can play good defense and maintain his offensive output. If we have to we can trade for a LF bat at the trade deadline. It should be the easiest position to fill.
    I think that'd be a bad idea. Having Camargo in the outfield would weaken our bench tremendously and would probably not be ideal defensively. We need to acquire a corner outfielder of some kind. If its a guy that needs a platoon, Camargo can fill that role, among others. But Camargo should not be getting a starter's workload in the outfield.

I think a lot of people underestimate the value of a good bench. In my opinion the Dodger's bench and depth was probably the scariest thing about that team. The fact that they could just throw an endless amount of quality bats at you and could always find the platoon advantage was amazing. We should try to build something like that here and Camargo is an ideal deal player to start such an exercise.

Besides, I don't think a Realmuto acquisition would preclude us from going after a quality outfielder. We'd still have plenty of trade resources and a little money to find a suitable player.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    609 Posts
    Know we all want Haniger, but I don’t see how the Ms would deal him while in rebuild mode.
    We would have to so obscenely over pay.... just doesn’t seem possible.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts

Yep. I'm still pretty iffy on a Realmuto trade, but if we can get that done while moving Julio's money and signing/trading for a quality 3 win outfielder like Brantley, then our lineup will be disgusting. Especially with a guy like Camargo getting 400+ PAs as well. That is a lineup that could win a WS if everything broke our way.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    And I am really warming to the idea of JT for Riley plus. The addition of JT would give the braves 4 positions with a great chance at 5 war each. Then easily see at least 3 war from Ender, Ozzie and Swanson each. Say 2 war from other outfielder until he is known. And bench could be worth 4 plus. That is a plus team without any contribution from pitching yet.
    Honestly, Realmuto would probably give us 5 positions with a shot at 5 WAR. Ozzie produced 3.8 fWAR while only putting up a .757 OPS. If he makes the necessary adjustments and can get back to an .800+ OPS, I see no reason why he couldn't put up a season like that. He's gonna need to really work on his approach this offseason, though.

I'm still not 100% sold on the idea of adding Realmuto, but like you I am warming on it a bit if we can get good/fair value in the deal.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I have been against a Realmuto trade from the start. But if the request for Haniger and Peralta are unrealistic and Brantley won't back off his 20 million per year demands, I can force myself to get behind this if the offer is palatable. But if we have to overpay for anyone, I'd rather overpay for Haniger who's a better player at a position of actual need and has 5 years of control.
    It is so odd to me that we haven't heard any substantial rumblings on the Peralta front. I can't imagine we are being priced out on him, he's not gonna be worth an insane amount on the trade market. Maybe the Diamondbacks are overvaluing their asset. That'd be unfortunate because he really is a pretty solid fit that should be relatively cheap to acquire. If the Riley/Pitcher rumors on Realmuto are true, we should have plenty left to grab Peralta without doing significant damage to the farm. Hopefully the asking price on Peralta comes down to the ~30 million in surplus value that he's actually worth.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulavol View Post
    Know we all want Haniger, but I don’t see how the Ms would deal him while in rebuild mode.
    We would have to so obscenely over pay.... just doesn’t seem possible.
    Why would rebuild mode preclude them from dealing Haniger? He's a very very valuable guy who is about to turn 28 years old. By the time they are out of a rebuild, he'll be exiting his prime. Of all the things I've heard this offseason, the M's insistence on keeping and building around Haniger might be one of the weirdest and dumbest. They should do everything in their power to get maximum value for him.

I'm not saying we should be the team to pony up, but holding on to Haniger long term is a bad idea.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    609 Posts
    Just heard on MLB radio that Brantley makes most sense and is who we will sign- just their guess of course.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    609 Posts
    Good point about Haniger and age. Didn’t think about it that way. But their fan base would be pissed ...