User Tag List

Page 251 of 335 FirstFirst ... 151201241249250251252253261301 ... LastLast
Results 5,001 to 5,020 of 6684

Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

  1. #5001
    Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    1,817
    Thanks
    37
    Thanked 632 Times in 413 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    wow so the deal Heyward posted was the best by far.
    It was a pretty low bar, but yeah probably lol

  2. #5002
    High School Draftee
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    51
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 16 Times in 9 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCowboy View Post
    JP Morosi reporting the Blue Jays and Padres are in serious discussion in a trade involving Marcus Stroman
    Not exactly what he said.

    ďThe Padres and Blue Jays are engaged in ongoing discussions about a trade that would send Marcus Stroman to San Diego, sources told MLB.com, although there was no tangible progress toward a deal as of Saturday night.Ē

  3. #5003
    It's OVER 5,000! Tapate50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    9,670
    Thanks
    4,073
    Thanked 2,527 Times in 1,569 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Would the Cards be a team to talk to? They would likely LOVE to unload Dexter Fowler and he’d likely welcome a move. Obviously we’d need JTR in this scenario, but he seems too talented to drop off a cliff like that. Guy apparently battled depression all last year.

    It would have to be at a STEEP discount.
    "No thanks, I'd rather sit in the balcony" - Abe Lincoln

  4. #5004
    High School Draftee
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    61
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 17 Times in 9 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why don't the Braves just try to resign Markakis? Looking at his stats he was good until August. That's when they started playing all the makeup games and loosing off days. If they resign him and make sure he doesn't play more than 25 games a month and gets at least 5 off days a month I think he would have a good season for a full year. If you look at his first 2/3 of the season he was probably as good as anyone else on the market now. They just need to make sure he gets a day or 2 off every week and I think he would play fine all year. They already know how he is in the clubhouse, so unless there is something we didn't see he seems to be a good fit already.

  5. #5005
    Expects Yuge Games nsacpi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    20,429
    Thanks
    1,495
    Thanked 7,316 Times in 4,545 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
    Why don't the Braves just try to resign Markakis? Looking at his stats he was good until August. That's when they started playing all the makeup games and loosing off days. If they resign him and make sure he doesn't play more than 25 games a month and gets at least 5 off days a month I think he would have a good season for a full year. If you look at his first 2/3 of the season he was probably as good as anyone else on the market now. They just need to make sure he gets a day or 2 off every week and I think he would play fine all year. They already know how he is in the clubhouse, so unless there is something we didn't see he seems to be a good fit already.
    the club is probably ok with bringing him back on a one year deal and he's probably trying to get a two year deal

  6. #5006
    10 yr, $185 million Extension zbhargrove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Bismarck, ND
    Posts
    4,616
    Thanks
    238
    Thanked 953 Times in 638 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
    Why don't the Braves just try to resign Markakis? Looking at his stats he was good until August. That's when they started playing all the makeup games and loosing off days. If they resign him and make sure he doesn't play more than 25 games a month and gets at least 5 off days a month I think he would have a good season for a full year. If you look at his first 2/3 of the season he was probably as good as anyone else on the market now. They just need to make sure he gets a day or 2 off every week and I think he would play fine all year. They already know how he is in the clubhouse, so unless there is something we didn't see he seems to be a good fit already.
    If Markakis is our full time LFer next year without getting a huge rotation upgrade and JTR... this off season is a failure... his first half was unsustainable as evidenced by his second half which was one of the worst half of any regular in baseball. I'm thinking the more likely answer is that he's getting old, his peripherals rebounded to career norms and is likely in steep decline. Why sign medocrity/bad if you're brewing a trade for a much better option who will likely be cheaper? I'd say its likely that AA is working on something like that behind the scenes.
    Enscheff is the most brilliant baseball mind of our time. No seriously. he's fantastic and really remarkable. You're going to love him. Magnificent. Really great.

  7. #5007
    Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,083
    Thanks
    135
    Thanked 213 Times in 136 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have bit my tounge on this all year.
    I canít stand anymore.
    Here goes: we won last year - pure luck. Our division was ****.
    We are two 2(two) years away.
    We are not going going to trade pieces that may be gold for temporary silver right now.
    We are not that dumb.
    Our fans are...
    We have a big run ahead of us in 2020... letís not get ahead of ourselves fellas ...
    merry Christmas 🎄

  8. #5008
    10 yr, $185 million Extension zbhargrove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Bismarck, ND
    Posts
    4,616
    Thanks
    238
    Thanked 953 Times in 638 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulavol View Post
    I have bit my tounge on this all year.
    I can’t stand anymore.
    Here goes: we won last year - pure luck. Our division was ****.
    We are two 2(two) years away.
    We are not going going to trade pieces that may be gold for temporary silver right now.
    We are not that dumb.
    Our fans are...
    We have a big run ahead of us in 2020... let’s not get ahead of ourselves fellas ...
    merry Christmas ��
    Trading prospects that we are running out of room for for JTR and/or Haniger is not temporary silver... adding a healthy Josh Donaldson and one or both of those makes us a very good team. Our window is open.
    Enscheff is the most brilliant baseball mind of our time. No seriously. he's fantastic and really remarkable. You're going to love him. Magnificent. Really great.

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

    TheRunningAgent (12-23-2018),UNCBlue012 (12-24-2018)

  10. #5009
    High School Draftee
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    61
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 17 Times in 9 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    If Markakis is our full time LFer next year without getting a huge rotation upgrade and JTR... this off season is a failure... his first half was unsustainable as evidenced by his second half which was one of the worst half of any regular in baseball. I'm thinking the more likely answer is that he's getting old, his peripherals rebounded to career norms and is likely in steep decline. Why sign medocrity/bad if you're brewing a trade for a much better option who will likely be cheaper? I'd say its likely that AA is working on something like that behind the scenes.
    I don't know about that. Looks like he was going pretty good until he started playing multiple double headers and going long stretches without an off day. That should make any player slump with the schedule they played. Freeman started slumping at the same time and I don't think he's old and washed up either. I think if he had been given normal rest he would have sustained his first 2/3 season into the last 2 months.

  11. #5010
    10 yr, $185 million Extension zbhargrove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Bismarck, ND
    Posts
    4,616
    Thanks
    238
    Thanked 953 Times in 638 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
    I don't know about that. Looks like he was going pretty good until he started playing multiple double headers and going long stretches without an off day. That should make any player slump with the schedule they played. Freeman started slumping at the same time and I don't think he's old and washed up either. I think if he had been given normal rest he would have sustained his first 2/3 season into the last 2 months.
    So you think a 36 year old having a career year with peripherals not in line with the rest of his career is probably the more likely answer than a 36 year old declining other than an anomalous first half? A first half that showed unsustainable peripherals that he never showed in his career before? Again, the second half saw those peripherals move back towards career norms, and the production was some of the worst in the majors. You can hope Markakis is some big time guy all you want, but the facts just don't support it at his age. I mean... his career year he can't even eclipse 3 WAR.

    Edit... well 35 year old last year... 36 now... you get the point.
    Enscheff is the most brilliant baseball mind of our time. No seriously. he's fantastic and really remarkable. You're going to love him. Magnificent. Really great.

  12. #5011
    It's OVER 5,000!
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    5,049
    Thanks
    787
    Thanked 1,007 Times in 691 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
    I don't know about that. Looks like he was going pretty good until he started playing multiple double headers and going long stretches without an off day. That should make any player slump with the schedule they played. Freeman started slumping at the same time and I don't think he's old and washed up either. I think if he had been given normal rest he would have sustained his first 2/3 season into the last 2 months.
    He's 35. This past season was the best season he's had since 2011. His numbers through July were supported by a very high BABIP, which is something not likely to repeat in 2019. There really isn't anything to suggest he's likely to repeat his 2018 performance.

  13. #5012
    10 yr, $185 million Extension zbhargrove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Bismarck, ND
    Posts
    4,616
    Thanks
    238
    Thanked 953 Times in 638 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
    I don't know about that. Looks like he was going pretty good until he started playing multiple double headers and going long stretches without an off day. That should make any player slump with the schedule they played. Freeman started slumping at the same time and I don't think he's old and washed up either. I think if he had been given normal rest he would have sustained his first 2/3 season into the last 2 months.
    I mean come on dude... first half he had a BABIP of .344... for a guy as slow as molasses, good luck trying to convince anyone that wasn't a half completely carried by luck.
    Enscheff is the most brilliant baseball mind of our time. No seriously. he's fantastic and really remarkable. You're going to love him. Magnificent. Really great.

  14. #5013
    10 yr, $185 million Extension zbhargrove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Bismarck, ND
    Posts
    4,616
    Thanks
    238
    Thanked 953 Times in 638 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    He's 35. This past season was the best season he's had since 2011. His numbers through July were supported by a very high BABIP, which is something not likely to repeat in 2019. There really isn't anything to suggest he's likely to repeat his 2018 performance.
    At least the first half... everything suggests he is likely to perform closer to his second half 2018 performance
    Enscheff is the most brilliant baseball mind of our time. No seriously. he's fantastic and really remarkable. You're going to love him. Magnificent. Really great.

  15. #5014
    10 yr, $185 million Extension zbhargrove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Bismarck, ND
    Posts
    4,616
    Thanks
    238
    Thanked 953 Times in 638 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even if you think he can somehow magically sustain his 2018 1st half as a 36 year old... there are still more productive options who are much cheaper who should be available via trade. If Markakis is our LFer this coming year and we haven't made any other significant offensive upgrades, the off season is a colossal failure. I get Nick is a great guy, I get he has grit, I get he's a leader... I don't care... we have McCann and Freddy.... I think we will be okay on the veteran grit department. I want actual production.
    Enscheff is the most brilliant baseball mind of our time. No seriously. he's fantastic and really remarkable. You're going to love him. Magnificent. Really great.

  16. #5015
    It's OVER 5,000! Braves1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    12,908
    Thanks
    7,189
    Thanked 1,969 Times in 1,458 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Signing Markakis would be about as bad as signing Frazier last off season.

  17. #5016
    10 yr, $185 million Extension zbhargrove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Bismarck, ND
    Posts
    4,616
    Thanks
    238
    Thanked 953 Times in 638 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Neck had a 10.4% HR/FB rate first half... including his younger years with much more power, his career rate is 8.1%... going back to 2013, here are his HR/FB rates:

    5.7
    7.3
    2.1 (First year with Braves)
    7.3
    5.6
    8.4 (Think last year was inflated a bit due to that anomalous 10.4 half?)

    Everything about the splits and the numbers suggest his whole first half was extremely lucky... especially when the second half lines up directly with his usual career trends
    Enscheff is the most brilliant baseball mind of our time. No seriously. he's fantastic and really remarkable. You're going to love him. Magnificent. Really great.

  18. #5017
    10 yr, $185 million Extension zbhargrove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Bismarck, ND
    Posts
    4,616
    Thanks
    238
    Thanked 953 Times in 638 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    Signing Markakis would be about as bad as signing Frazier last off season.
    Frazier wasn't who I was hoping for last year... but I'd say we did luck out quite a bit that Camargo turned into something we never thought he'd be
    Enscheff is the most brilliant baseball mind of our time. No seriously. he's fantastic and really remarkable. You're going to love him. Magnificent. Really great.

  19. #5018
    High School Draftee
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    61
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 17 Times in 9 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I think it was a little more than half a year, more like 2/3 of a year and his decline was directly in time with the increased games per month. I'm not going to say he's going to be a great player but I do think he had a great year for him that was side tracked by a tough schedule. I think if he would have had a normal work load, he would have carried the first half through the season. I don't know if he could have another year like this one but I think he earned the chance to see, and more importantly I don't really like anyone I've seen any more than him that seems to be on the market that's a realistic option. What we are choosing between is Markakis who seems to be durable, a bunch of high injury risks and people who are no better than Markakis or maybe worse. I'm just saying, we know what we get with him, and maybe we could get another year like last year or maybe we get his career averages. Either way I don't think we are any worse off than with any of the other people we have as a choose.

  20. #5019
    PosiBraves Hell Gatekeeper
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    14,356
    Thanks
    28
    Thanked 4,021 Times in 2,445 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Braves are too smart to expect Markakis to produce more than 1 win next year. Nobody other than this new poster and Markakis himself expect it.

    He represents a good fallback plan if they acquire JTR and have little resources to acquire another cOF, and nothing more. I suspect they prefer CarGo to Markakis though.

    There are better options available, but those options are drying up fast.

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

    UNCBlue012 (12-24-2018)

  22. #5020
    10 yr, $185 million Extension zbhargrove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Bismarck, ND
    Posts
    4,616
    Thanks
    238
    Thanked 953 Times in 638 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
    Well I think it was a little more than half a year, more like 2/3 of a year and his decline was directly in time with the increased games per month. I'm not going to say he's going to be a great player but I do think he had a great year for him that was side tracked by a tough schedule. I think if he would have had a normal work load, he would have carried the first half through the season. I don't know if he could have another year like this one but I think he earned the chance to see, and more importantly I don't really like anyone I've seen any more than him that seems to be on the market that's a realistic option. What we are choosing between is Markakis who seems to be durable, a bunch of high injury risks and people who are no better than Markakis or maybe worse. I'm just saying, we know what we get with him, and maybe we could get another year like last year or maybe we get his career averages. Either way I don't think we are any worse off than with any of the other people we have as a choose.
    You can think and assume all you want. The actual numbers and facts say otherwise. And all the stats I used were directly first and second half... so no, it was not 2/3 of a year at all.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •