Page 280 of 579 FirstFirst ... 180230270278279280281282290330380 ... LastLast
Results 5,581 to 5,600 of 11579

Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    I may be naive, but I would bet money that someone other than Markakis, Cargo, or Camargo will be our outfielder in 2019. The only way I could maybe see something like that happening is if we make a trade for Realmuto, but I still think the most likely scenario is that we add our OF through trade. I still see a ton of options there and we probably have multiple options we are exploring, which is why I believe its taking so long to get something done.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    Reports are they Yankees may hold onto Gray until after the season starts...they are either posturing or they must feel that they can get at least their best offer they have now during the season. Could be risky if he gets off to a slow start.
    Get off my lawn!

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,774 Posts
    Going into the first weekend of January and the big free agents, Harper, Machado, Kimbrel, and Pollock haven’t signed. Just like last offseason. How long will the players union continue to put up with this?
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCowboy View Post
    Going into the first weekend of January and the big free agents, Harper, Machado, Kimbrel, and Pollock haven’t signed. Just like last offseason. How long will the players union continue to put up with this?
    Players get more money per year on short term deals. Embrace it like the nba.

The union issue should be 6 years of control manipulated to 7. Locks up a players prime. They’ll want it down to 4 with no manipulation.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Russ2dollas For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-05-2019)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Players get more money per year on short term deals. Embrace it like the nba.

The union issue should be 6 years of control manipulated to 7. Locks up a players prime. They’ll want it down to 4 with no manipulation.
    That would be fair.

In return the owners should get the ability to opt out/ buy out of free agent deals if the player's performance is not up to a certain standard. They shouldn't be able to cut players under contract with impunity like the NFL, but they should have a way to protect themselves in the event that their prized free agent turns into B.J. Upton.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DirkPiggler For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (01-05-2019), buck75 (01-05-2019), jpx7 (01-05-2019)

Arbitration Eligible Freshmaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    521 Posts
    I think it was Ken Rosenthal that had a good article about this today. He believes it's basically because owners don't want to consistently go over the luxury tax threshold. They dont mind going high AAV, but only on shorter deals. While they may end up getting it anyway, there's a lot of reluctance to dole out a 10/400 type deal

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I find starting Camargo out there to be a slightly likely scenario than Riley.

Might be a good solution. Average defense and repeat of last season would be about 2.5 WAR.

I’d prefer a different option but it makes as much sense as some of the things proposed.
    what does your bench look like if that happens?
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Reports are they Yankees may hold onto Gray until after the season starts...they are either posturing or they must feel that they can get at least their best offer they have now during the season. Could be risky if he gets off to a slow start.
    A lot of this contributed to CCs heart surgery and the potential risk that poses . Apparently Cashman is reluctant to move him until the matter becomes more clear.
    Ivermectin Man

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (01-05-2019)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkPiggler View Post
    That would be fair.

In return the owners should get the ability to opt out/ buy out of free agent deals if the player's performance is not up to a certain standard. They shouldn't be able to cut players under contract with impunity like the NFL, but they should have a way to protect themselves in the event that their prized free agent turns into B.J. Upton.
    Stretch provision.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Until the next CBA - they have no choice.

Nobody to blame but themselves - they needed to hire a couple new-age numbers guys to work for them before they got GM jobs so they'd have an idea this was where things were headed. Not sure why they were dumb enough to think things would continue the way they were when everybody was getting paid ridiculously well for their decline years when they were unproductive - even the fans have been screaming how stupid many of those contracts were for a long time.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    The players main goal will be to push more earning power to earlier in a player’s career. Easiest way to accomplish that would be to raise the minimum salary to $1M, and possibly higher.

A $1M+ minimum salary accomplishes many things:

1. Creates a higher “salary floor” for team payrolls.
    2. Increases the pay of younger players immediately.
    3. Increases the pay of younger players in arbitration since they will be based on higher platform year salaries.

The players union asked for stupid things in the last bargaining period because they had Tony Clark running the show rather than real labor professionals
    Last edited by Enscheff; 01-05-2019 at 09:52 AM.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

DirkPiggler (01-05-2019), JohnAdcox (01-05-2019)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    I may be naive, but I would bet money that someone other than Markakis, Cargo, or Camargo will be our outfielder in 2019. The only way I could maybe see something like that happening is if we make a trade for Realmuto, but I still think the most likely scenario is that we add our OF through trade. I still see a ton of options there and we probably have multiple options we are exploring, which is why I believe its taking so long to get something done.
    Given the remaining options - particularly if most of the trade possibilities are going to require overpays - I'd still be a really big fan of signing Gonzalez. He plays LF against righties with Camargo getting those ABs against lefties. Much cheaper than Pollock (without the injury concerns), and still leaves you with a stronger bench than before no matter who's playing out there. Duvall could play RF on the few days off Acuna and Ender get and you'd still have two of Camargo, Gonzalez, or Culberson available whenever Donaldson/Dansby/Albies needs a blow.

If AA wanted to overpay in a Realmuto trade that included Riley then, it wouldn't hurt your flexibility at all, and you'd have three switch-hitters - one available every night in late-game situations.

Save the arms until the deadline in the event there's a TOR guy available that you want.
    Last edited by clvclv; 01-05-2019 at 09:59 AM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Given the remaining options - particularly if most of the trade possibilities are going to require overpays - I'd still be a really big fan of signing Gonzalez. He plays LF against righties with Camargo getting those ABs against lefties. Much cheaper than Pollock (without the injury concerns), and still leaves you with a stronger bench than before no matter who's playing out there. Duvall could play RF on the few days off Acuna and Ender get and you'd still have two of Camargo, Gonzalez, or Culberson available whenever Donaldson/Dansby/Albies needs a blow.

If AA wanted to overpay in a Realmuto trade that included Riley then, it wouldn't hurt your flexibility at all, and you'd have three switch-hitters - one available every night in late-game situations.

Save the arms until the deadline in the event there's a TOR guy available that you want.
    It doesn't surprise me you would want Cargo

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Nats are supposedly the current front runners to sign Harper. If they go with an OF of Harper/Soto/Robles, then that means Eaton may be available. He would fit pretty well in front of JD/Freeman/Acuna.
    I'm not sure there is a frontrunner on Bryce, but if he returns, there would be a logjam unless they used Soto or Robles as a trade chip.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    The players main goal will be to push more earning power to earlier in a player’s career. Easiest way to accomplish that would be to raise the minimum salary to $1M, and possibly higher.

3. Increases the pay of younger players in arbitration since they will be based on higher platform year salaries.

The players union asked for stupid things in the last bargaining period because they had Tony Clark running the show rather than real labor professionals
    racist
    thank you weso1!

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    I think he meant Marwin

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts

If I was the union I’d think about the middle class.

The big dogs always get paid. Whatever the minimum is will always be the best value. When you can get a minimum 1 war relief pitcher why pay 5 times as much for a vet 2 war guy.

Decrease years of control so Albies and acuna aren’t tempted into signing early extensions.

Find something so you don’t end up like the nba with all of the money going to 25 percent of the roster and everyone else is close to the minimum

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Brewers receive RHP Bobby Wahl, RHP Adam Hill and INF Felix Valerio from the Mets in exchange for OF Keon Broxton.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Cargo who? When did he become a switch-hitter who could also play 2B and 3B??? That's Marwin Gonzalez genius.

Pay attention and think about what you're reading before continuously taking shots at people - it might not make you look like such an idiot.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

NinersSBChamps (01-05-2019)

Arbitration Eligible Freshmaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    521 Posts