Results 5,901 to 5,920 of 11579

Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    I'm honestly shocked that AA didn't explore this option more, even after the McCann signing.

Damn.
    I think the QO penalty looms larger for the Braves than some people imagine, given the international penalties and consequent wrecking of lower-minors depth. Provided there’s no loss of the #9 pick (which I still don’t see happening, despite our trepidations), this upcoming draft should be huge for adding impact talent to the lower rungs, but also might be the last chance to play with a large draft-pool, given Atlanta’s designs on consistently contending over the next half-decade. As such, any blow to the pool has huge ramifications.

I’d still have rather paid that price, plus dollars, for 3-4 years of Grandal, versus trading a bevy of upper-rung depth for two years of Realmuto, but it’s nonetheless a non-trivial part of the calculus.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    I just read an article about how rough of a time 2nd basemen are having this offseason. There is literally just 1 team with an obvious need for a 2nd baseman, the Nationals. There are several 2nd basemen on the market right now looking for jobs. I wonder if it wouldn't be a good idea to try to scoop up one of the better ones if we could get him as a cheap market inefficiency type of signing. It'd give us more bench depth (which I love), it could open up Ozzie to play SS if Dansby struggles, we could explore trying some of our infielders in the OF if that becomes necessary.

If that market is as dry as it currently seems, we could probably get a really good hitter for really cheap even if they didn't have an obvious starting job for us. It'd be especially good if we could grab one with a little versatility like Jed Lowrie or Asdrubal Cabrera, but I'd imagine that their versatility will probably price us out eventually.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Grandal gets more money per year.

I think this is a pivot darell reeves started in the nfl and the nba is doing more.

If you are willing to bet on yourself then you can make more money on a short deal.

I’d rather have Grandal on that deal than trade for jtr

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Russ2dollas For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-10-2019)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Grandal gets more money per year.

I think this is a pivot darell reeves started in the nfl and the nba is doing more.

If you are willing to bet on yourself then you can make more money on a short deal.

I’d rather have Grandal on that deal than trade for jtr
    All day, err day, and 69 times on Sunday. The only downside I could ever see with a Grandal signing (in relation to a JTR trade) would be the risk of future decline. A 1 year deal eliminates that risk.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    I just read an article about how rough of a time 2nd basemen are having this offseason. There is literally just 1 team with an obvious need for a 2nd baseman, the Nationals. There are several 2nd basemen on the market right now looking for jobs. I wonder if it wouldn't be a good idea to try to scoop up one of the better ones if we could get him as a cheap market inefficiency type of signing. It'd give us more bench depth (which I love), it could open up Ozzie to play SS if Dansby struggles, we could explore trying some of our infielders in the OF if that becomes necessary.

If that market is as dry as it currently seems, we could probably get a really good hitter for really cheap even if they didn't have an obvious starting job for us. It'd be especially good if we could grab one with a little versatility like Jed Lowrie or Asdrubal Cabrera, but I'd imagine that their versatility will probably price us out eventually.
    This just seems like something I could see AA doing in order to copy the Dodger's mold of having at least 12 quality bats on their 25 man at all times. In the playoffs, it was insane how the Dodgers were able to mix and match hitters to gain the advantage, and every hitter they had was at least average to above average.

Even if a middle infielder would seem redundant, if we could get a quality bat cheaply to put on the bench, I don't really care where he plays. We can teach him or someone else to play whatever position is left without depth by him taking a roster spot.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    I would trade him in the right deal. He probably has the most value of any current pitcher we have (including Folty because of the years of control).

Newk might just figure things out. He’s shown flashes. Then again...he may just end up being Newk.
    i have no issues with trading him.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Arbitration Eligible Freshmaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    521 Posts
    Cubs are trying to trim payroll...maybe AA goes outside the box and trades for Zobrilla

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    i have no issues with trading him.
    I personally don't understand the desire to trade Newcomb. He's demonstrated no hit stuff vs upper division opponents several times in his career. the control is an issue but it's been known to improve over time for guys like this before.

While it's entirely possible he's nothing more than a stuff four, that's got a ton of value when he makes the minimum. That's value whichever way you want to cash it in. Trading him means you either start over with a prospect or you spend money or capital in replacing him in the rotation with no guarantee that you match his production and a certain risk that he puts it together for a bit.

I have no problem trading him for a true solution in the OF, or for a better pitcher with 2-3 years of control, but have no particular desire to move him otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts

Dietrich is also a possibility.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post
    Cubs are trying to trim payroll...maybe AA goes outside the box and trades for Zobrilla
    not a bad idea

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Completely understandable. However, at the end of the day, AA has to start moving some of these pieces - even if that results in a questionable deal or two. No one's arguing some trades could turn out to be regrettable, but in the Braves' situation you're going to have to take a couple chances unless there's some influx of cash coming that no one sees. The list of 2019 MLB-ready arms is ridiculous at this point...

Folty (going nowhere), Gausman (going nowhere), Newcomb (likely takes a BIG deal to move him), Julio (likely going nowhere unless you find a sucker)

That leaves you with 9 guys - Touki, Fried, Soroka, Gohara, Wilson, Allard, Parsons, and at some point Weigel and Anderson for the #5 slot and not enough slots at Gwinnett for the rest of them - with a GAPING hole in LF and questionable offensive options at SS, CF, and behind the plate.

If he's scared of moving some of the more highly thought of guys for Realmuto, Haniger, or Peralta because those Pitchers MIGHT reach their ceilings sometime down the road, signing Donaldson was a giant mistake. You just don't do that unless you're making a push, and stopping short of adding the other pieces when they're available SCREAMS the Tex situation all over again. I don't like Pollock's asking price any more than what the rumored returns for the other three options appears to be, but if you're not willing (or can't afford) to pay them why in the *ell did you jump out there and get Donaldson - even for one year??? He's stopping halfway right now - the "to-do list" was upgrading the bench (check), upgrading the pen (meh at best), upgrading a corner OF spot (not even close, but it's fine to argue a healthy Donaldson mitigates that somewhat), and adding someone at the top of the rotation (nope).
    Check that - 10 guys for the #5 spot and the 5 at Gwinnett - left Wright out.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Grandal’s agents kinda screwed the pooch here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Braves won’t have to forfeit the pick!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    To clarify. It is now being reported by everyone that the Braves won the grievance and will not not lose their pick.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-10-2019)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Guessing this is where you're going to see the new trend in the market. Non-elite players with QO's attached to them will start taking 1 year deals and re-enter the market a year later to try and get that 3-4 year deal. Pretty risky for a catcher, but I guess it depends on what his offers were. Highly doubt the Braves dabble in this market with the recent sanctions against them, but it'd be pretty awesome to get Pollock or Kuechel on a 1 year deal.
    If the QO doesn't disappear in the next CBA, I smell a strike.

And as much as I hate to admit it, I wouldn't blame the players a bit for walking over it. They were stupid for letting it happen in the first place, so it's on them - but there's no reason the owners shouldn't realize how unfair the situation is and renegotiate that. Now that most teams are smart enough not to hand ridiculous contracts to 30-35 year old players, there's no reason each team shouldn't have some extra cash when it comes time for them to sign a big free-agent.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Praise the lawd!!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Changing gears a bit, I would love to know what the legal fees incurred by each side in a full blown arbitration hearing. Given these are highly specialized attorneys, generally with bigger firms, and they are all essentially trials, it much be a pretty significant cost.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    This just seems like something I could see AA doing in order to copy the Dodger's mold of having at least 12 quality bats on their 25 man at all times. In the playoffs, it was insane how the Dodgers were able to mix and match hitters to gain the advantage, and every hitter they had was at least average to above average.

Even if a middle infielder would seem redundant, if we could get a quality bat cheaply to put on the bench, I don't really care where he plays. We can teach him or someone else to play whatever position is left without depth by him taking a roster spot.
    This is the entire reason I've campaigned for a Gonzalez signing even if he doesn't come quite as cheap. The bonus with Marwin is there's no need to teach him *hit - he could platoon in LF with Camargo from the get-go.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    Braves won’t have to forfeit the pick!
    Best news of the year

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Grandal’s agents kinda screwed the pooch here.
    Seems like lessons weren't learned from a year ago. This years Greg Holland?