Page 33 of 579 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383133533 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    My plan this offseason would be to use our resources to build our depth as best we can while adding an impact bat somewhere along the way. I've been convinced that we shouldn't pour any significant resources into our rotation or bullpen. I think we can make some minor moves in the bullpen, but nothing significant. Our resources need to be spent offensively. We should target a catcher, a corner outfielder, and a utility option for the bench. I think the ideal offseason for us would be:

Signing Marwin to a little over what Escobar got. Maybe 3 years at 28 million or 4 years at 35 million. Something like that, if it would get it done. He'd be a wonderful addition to our depth and would allow us to get really creative with how we deploy our lineup.

Signing Grandal to a 4 year 70-80 million dollar deal or something in that ballpark.

Trading for an impact corner outfielder. My first choice would be Eddie Rosario, but given that we have no indications of the Twins going into sell mode I think Peralta is the guy that makes the most sense here. Both Grandal and Peralta would qualify as impact additions to our starting lineup while Marwin would be an enormous addition to our bench. I think it'd take our bench from being pretty awful to being pretty good immediately. We saw how valuable a good bench is during the Dodgers series.

All of this would add ~35 million to our payroll and leave us plenty of room for any minor deals we wanted to make or any midseason transactions we wanted to complete. The only deal that I'm even slightly reluctant on is the Grandal deal, but in the end I'd be comfortable with 4 years. No more, though.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BeanieAntics For This Useful Post:

Hudson2 (10-26-2018)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    How is it not true? Each position was above average offensively. That's a true statement.
    Ender had a 90 wRC+.
    Dansby had a 80 wRC+.
    We don't have Nick anymore.
    Our bench was awful.

We need help offensively

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Yeah I thought about that after I posted it. I forgot about Dansby.

I'm certainly not denying we need help offensively. I just don't think catcher is where it needs to be. Much rather upgrade LF and/or 3b.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Yeah I thought about that after I posted it. I forgot about Dansby.

I'm certainly not denying we need help offensively. I just don't think catcher is where it needs to be. Much rather upgrade LF and/or 3b.
    But 3B was fine with the emergence of Camargo... yes I can see the argument upgrading to have Camargo as a super utility guy but upgrading 3B isn't going to move the needle a ton offensively... but a big time Catcher will move the needle quite a bit unless you think Zuk and Flowers will keep outplaying their potential... and even if they do its still not near the level as Realmuto or Grandal...

And even if you do upgrade with one of those two at catcher, we still have plenty of resources to get another utility infielder, a starting LFer, and a back up OFer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I’m in for the idea of Marwin, Grandal, and one of Rosario/Peralta. That’ll be done in the neighborhood of 35 million. And if that did happen our team would be in excellent shape for a deep postseason run for the foreseeable future and leave us around 10 million to use at the deadline or get a couple of cheap guys.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    My plan this offseason would be to use our resources to build our depth as best we can while adding an impact bat somewhere along the way. I've been convinced that we shouldn't pour any significant resources into our rotation or bullpen. I think we can make some minor moves in the bullpen, but nothing significant. Our resources need to be spent offensively. We should target a catcher, a corner outfielder, and a utility option for the bench. I think the ideal offseason for us would be:

Signing Marwin to a little over what Escobar got. Maybe 3 years at 28 million or 4 years at 35 million. Something like that, if it would get it done. He'd be a wonderful addition to our depth and would allow us to get really creative with how we deploy our lineup.

Signing Grandal to a 4 year 70-80 million dollar deal or something in that ballpark.

Trading for an impact corner outfielder. My first choice would be Eddie Rosario, but given that we have no indications of the Twins going into sell mode I think Peralta is the guy that makes the most sense here. Both Grandal and Peralta would qualify as impact additions to our starting lineup while Marwin would be an enormous addition to our bench. I think it'd take our bench from being pretty awful to being pretty good immediately. We saw how valuable a good bench is during the Dodgers series.

All of this would add ~35 million to our payroll and leave us plenty of room for any minor deals we wanted to make or any midseason transactions we wanted to complete. The only deal that I'm even slightly reluctant on is the Grandal deal, but in the end I'd be comfortable with 4 years. No more, though.

I've been big on Gonzalez for awhile, but I'm not so sure Johan can't be our version of Marwin if you put him in that role. What it would boil down to for me is - would Riley/Haniger/Camargo be as good offensively as Camargo/Peralta/Gonzalez over the next 3 years and would you push all your chips in to have Paxton and Folty at the top of the rotation for that period? In either case you add Grandal, but which one of those projects to more wins otherwise?

The vast majority of us agree talking about a pitching "surplus" is ridiculous to a point - but if AA doesn't start moving some of these arms this winter, he's going to start wasting tons of value since some of these guys are going to start taking steps back or start getting hurt. I just don't see how he'll ever be in a better position to overpay for the pieces that may push us over the top.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,812 Posts
    I know the Braves won’t go after him, but I do not want Manny Machado.
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCowboy View Post
    I know the Braves won’t go after him, but I do not want Manny Machado.
    Kind of hoping the Faillies sign him.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Reds former manager Bryan Price has been drawing interest from numerous teams to be their next pitching coach.....assuming we are one of them
    Get off my lawn!

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Reds former manager Bryan Price has been drawing interest from numerous teams to be their next pitching coach.....assuming we are one of them
    Hmm. He might be intriguing. Need to see how staffs faired under his control.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Hmm. He might be intriguing. Need to see how staffs faired under his control.
    Price was the Seattle Mariners pitching coach from 2001–2006. Price earned USA Today Baseball Weekly 's Pitching Coach of the Year Award in 2001 after leading that staff to the American League ERA title with a 3.54 mark, an improvement of almost one run per game from the previous season

Price was the Arizona Diamondbacks pitching coach until May 7, 2009, when he resigned after manager Bob Melvin was replaced by A. J. Hinch. Price was named Major League Coach of the Year by Baseball America in 2007 after his Diamondbacks staff posted a 4.13 ERA, fourth best in the National League, on the way to the National League Championship Series. He also worked for the Philadelphia Phillies as a minor league consultant
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    How teachable is something like pitch framing? It seems like something one could really improve on if they focused on it. Doesn't seem like one of those skills that you either have it or you don't. But I know very little about being s catcher so I may be wrong.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    How is it not true? Each position was above average offensively. That's a true statement.
    Above average yes but there's plenty of room for improvement.

Catcher, LF/RF wherever Acuna plays, and maybe 3B are spots we should upgrade. Maybe SS depending who is available.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Kind of hoping the Faillies sign him.
    I'd rather them not, he's really ****ing good, despite his antics.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    The vast majority of us agree talking about a pitching "surplus" is ridiculous to a point - but if AA doesn't start moving some of these arms this winter, he's going to start wasting tons of value since some of these guys are going to start taking steps back or start getting hurt. I just don't see how he'll ever be in a better position to overpay for the pieces that may push us over the top.
    Not sure i'd go all-in so to speak but do agree if AA is gonna make some trades, now is the time. As said, lot of our trade chips value is falling or is never gonna be higher, cant prospect hoard forever.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

clvclv (10-27-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    I guess I don’t really understand the rational for committing 8 million aav years to a utility player (Marwin).

Or do you folks expect him to be the starting LF?

I’d rather sign a 3B short term and use Camargo in that role.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I guess I don’t really understand the rational for committing 8 million aav years to a utility player (Marwin).

whatever he is called I would expect him to get 400+ PAs if we signed him...he's gotten over 500 with the Astros the past 3 seasons...if it helps we can call him the starting third baseman and Camargo the utility player...both will play a lot
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

20. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

clvclv (10-27-2018)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post

To be honest, there's never been any indication (that I've seen) that the thought of playing Camargo on the grass has ever been discussed other than by us on this board. I don't think anyone thinks it's a terrible idea, but if AA and/or Snit have had that thought you'd think someone would've seen it mentioned somewhere other than here.

They'd also likely have asked him to go somewhere for winter ball and try it for a few weeks = expecting him to transition smoothly playing some out there during camp is probably a little much.
    Last edited by clvclv; 10-27-2018 at 08:41 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Grandal is very good and can hit lh. I want him over Realmuto. He’s not a better player but I’d rather not pay his price. I hope the bad Octobers hold him to a 4 year deal.

I’d love for us to land moose if he’d take a one year plus team option. Play him vs rh and comargo vs lh. Camargo fill in other spots vs rh.

Big trade will be for an of.

I could see a one stop shopping in Pitt for cerveli and an of. I just don’t think Pitt will sell early.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    whatever he is called I would expect him to get 400+ PAs if we signed him...he's gotten over 500 with the Astros the past 3 seasons...if it helps we can call him the starting third baseman and Camargo the utility player...both will play a lot
    I guess my question is what’s so great about Gonzalez getting 400 plate appearances at 8 million dollars aav?

He’s slightly above average hitter with no real split advantage.

That’s a super expensive bench bat.