PosiBraves Hell Gatekeeper
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,024 Times in 2,448 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I assume the moves for 2019 are result of ownership mandate to put a better team on the field.

Only real way to explain the overpay.

If they're not crazy about the prospect and are under orders, it sort of makes sense. I don't think the extension is bad at all, though it's a little weird to commit to Sonny Gray at this point. But 10m isn't going to break them if he doesn't pan out and I'm not sure they would be picking anyone up next FA that would be any more appetizing at that price point.

I give it neither raves nor jeers, just not really sure they need to be trying right now.
    Itís stupid to extend Gray now because pitchers like him are available every offseason. They are committing $30M before they need to for no real reason other than someone in the Reds FO thinks having a player at market rates somehow makes him more valuable.

They could get someone approximating Gray 10 months from now and know he will pitch in 2020. They donít know what Gray will be in 2020. They are assuming risk because they donít waste their time looking at spreadsheets

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (Today)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,747 Times in 2,916 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Long for Stowers is the odd part of this trade. Good for the M's to pick up Long cheaply. He's not gonna be a star, but will probably end up being a useful utility player. I'm wondering if the Yankees just didn't have room for Long on their 40-man roster (assuming some moves coming up).
    Plus, he has one of the greatest names in baseball.

PS--Agree with Enscheff 100% on Sonny Gray.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,794 Times in 1,676 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Extension clearly says the Reds are thinking he will bounce back and be worth much more than 10 million next year. If they get 3 years of 3 win pitching for 10 mil per then they won that deal. If he flames then oops
    Coppy