Page 364 of 579 FirstFirst ... 264314354362363364365366374414464 ... LastLast
Results 7,261 to 7,280 of 11579

Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    By my count we are currently 1M above last year's opening day payroll. I'm guessing we'll end up about 5M above. With 10-15M set aside for mid-season moves.

There has been a lot of incorrect information, especially from Bowman, about how much AA had to spend.

If we had a realistic understanding of what he had to spend, we would be thrilled that he used 29 M to sign 3 players from whom we can expect 6 WAR. 5M per win is pretty outstanding work.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    I'm frankly surprised to see the Dodgers pay that much for Pollock in this climate. 4 / $55m plus the 34th pick is okay I guess, but thought it would be less. I've lost track on how the June draft picks are valued, but think the NPV on a pick in that range is probably $5-10m.

Also, I actually like the idea of pursuing Gio <ducks tomato> if we can shake loose of Teheran in a reasonable way.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Brach signed for $3 million - what on earth makes you think O'Day would get more than twice as much if he were on the market???
    Actually, Brach signed for $4.35M, and has a player option for 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    I'm frankly surprised to see the Dodgers pay that much for Pollock in this climate. 4 / $55m plus the 34th pick is okay I guess, but thought it would be less. I've lost track on how the June draft picks are valued, but think the NPV on a pick in that range is probably $5-10m.

Also, I actually like the idea of pursuing Gio <ducks tomato> if we can shake loose of Teheran in a reasonable way.
    Its a 60M guarantee because the fifth year is a player option with a 5M payout

Glad you mentioned the pick....by signing Pollock the Dodgers lose a pick...by signing Donaldson we likely gain a pick...the Donaldson signing is a vastly better deal for the club than the Pollock signing...and that doesn't even account for the reduced risk due to the deal being much shorter

"I am your retribution."

NL Rookie of the Year Acuña’s Bat Flip's Avatar
    Gaffney, South Carolina (Home of the Big Butt "Peach" on I-85)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    Possibly. I hope he is but he’s a year older and has been injured a lot the past few years. If he goes down then we are sunk basically bc we will be out of money and lost our biggest offseason acquisition. Markakis is a year older and won’t have the same kind of season he had last year and Folty will possibly regress some. We are worse at C to imo then last year.
    FKA Ozzie's Chainz

Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Got to take the L sometimes.

I've been used to it over the years.
    Braves / Panthers / Lakers / Hornets / Clemson / Duke Basketball

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzie's Chainz View Post
    I know I'm past due for an eye exam but did I really just see someone arguing Brach is better than O'Day??
    Not better.

At $8 million, O'Day's making TWICE what Brach is getting - he's not twice the Pitcher.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    It’s true.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post
    Gio would be fantastic value on a 1 year deal.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    By my count we are currently 1M above last year's opening day payroll. I'm guessing we'll end up about 5M above. With 10-15M set aside for mid-season moves.

There has been a lot of incorrect information, especially from Bowman, about how much AA had to spend.

If we had a realistic understanding of what he had to spend, we would be thrilled that he used 29 M to sign 3 players from whom we can expect 6 WAR. 5M per win is pretty outstanding work.
    I don't think it was wrong to expect a bump in payroll - everything the talking heads have said since the new park opened is they plan to increase payroll as the new revenues start to come in. The outside expectations of how much and how soon obviously appear to be off.

That said, I don't think AA has been downright lying when he says there's more money available - particularly after bringing Markakis back on the cheap. I still think bringing Marwin in would be a great move for the long-term, and think there's enough left to do that. Having he and Camargo both as bench pieces going forward as the kids all arrive would be awesome IMO.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    It’s true.
    If Folty regresses entering his prime then we are in deep doo doo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Maybe... there are a bunch of young pitchers for us that could potentially go off at any time though

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    Also, if we are serious about Gio, that could mean a pitcher currently slotted for a rotation spot may be on the move. The most likely candidate is probably Newk.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Even good pitchers have down years. I’m hoping he doesn’t. Main thing I’m pointing out is if JD goes down for a long time then we are a weaker team then last year and entering the offseason with the money and prospects we had to deal with it shouldn’t even be a possibility. We have upgraded one position and that’s it. Inexcusable imo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Maybe... there are a bunch of young pitchers for us that could potentially go off at any time though
    Maybe as mentioned before in this thread why AA could be warming up the Gwinnett shuttle for one more season to see what he has but Folty seems to be so close to being a star especially since becoming a dad it'd be very disappointing to see him flame out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    I'm pleased with the Donaldson signing. I like Camargo alot, but the Braves won't have many opportunities to sign 5+ win players in free agency.

Pleased with McCann. He's great at handling a staff and will hopefully be working with mostly young pitchers. Because of the young pitchers, I prefer McCann/Flowers over Realmuto.

I'm disappointed if Markakis is his own replacement. I can't believe how chronically difficult it is for the Braves to get big bats in the OF corners.

My biggest disappointment is the lack of activity on the trade market. It seems like the Mariners, Mets, and Reds were all begging to be fleeced this offseason, and we didn't take advantage of any of them. Not beating the package the Mariners took from the Yankees is especially disappointing. You can't count on controlled studs being available from subpar front offices very often.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    I don't think it was wrong to expect a bump in payroll
    I think it was. The bump came in 2017 when payroll did jump quite a bit. Then opening day payroll fell slightly in 2018. Realistically, we should expect it to rise gradually by about 5M per year going forward. Anyone expecting more is not really paying attention.

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    AA got a tremendous deal.

I'm starting to get frustrated with the commentary on Donaldson. He can legitimately be expected to put up the same numbers as Machado or Harper for less money and commitment.

If you went back and told AA how this market would play out, I'm not sure he would do anything differently.

I think he's going to sign a budget starter and slot some of the young arms for the pen and give Soroka extra rehab time. Possibly there is still a trade to be made, whether that Realmuto or someone we haven't thought of. And trades at the deadline.

I might have done Brantley instead of Markakis and a budget veteran pitcher though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    I'm pleased with the Donaldson signing. I like Camargo alot, but the Braves won't have many opportunities to sign 5+ win players in free agency.

Pleased with McCann. He's great at handling a staff and will hopefully be working with mostly young pitchers. Because of the young pitchers, I prefer McCann/Flowers over Realmuto.

I'm disappointed if Markakis is his own replacement. I can't believe how chronically difficult it is for the Braves to get big bats in the OF corners.

My biggest disappointment is the lack of activity on the trade market. It seems like the Mariners, Mets, and Reds were all begging to be fleeced this offseason, and we didn't take advantage of any of them. Not beating the package the Mariners took from the Yankees is especially disappointing. You can't count on controlled studs being available from subpar front offices very often.
    I think AA decided he wanted a little more time to evaluate the prospects. And he will move some of them at the deadline. I think we are in good shape to be a contending team in 2019. Nothing is guaranteed, however.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Gio makes no sense.

"I am your retribution."

20. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

clvclv (01-25-2019)

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    If we’re talking to Gio, it makes me wonder if it’s because of an impending deal involving Newcomb or Tehran.