Results 7,481 to 7,500 of 11579

Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

Anytime Now Frankie... tululush's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    I think if LA or SD are offering a top position player prospect, Miami would have have to decide what they need most...do they need a solid pitching prospect or position? My guess would be position...

I don't think we would offer Anderson AND Riley.
    I was under the impression that we offered Riley but not Anderson. I don’t think it’s officially what we’ve offered, but what’s been discussed quite a bit so it leads me to believe that’s what we’ve offered. I also don’t know what if anything else we’ve discussed in addition to the speculative Anderson piece.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tululush View Post
    I was under the impression that we offered Riley but not Anderson. I don’t think it’s officially what we’ve offered, but what’s been discussed quite a bit so it leads me to believe that’s what we’ve offered. I also don’t know what if anything else we’ve discussed in addition to the speculative Anderson piece.
    I don't know if there was an official offer per say....Craig Mish has always reported that Austin Riley was on the table, but the Marlins really like Ian Anderson. Again, idk if we would do both Anderson and Riley, plus another smaller piece.
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I’m not sure if we’ve offered Anderson but have heard that they covet him so who knows. Riley’s name has came up a lot so I’m guessing he’s headlining it. The secondary pieces are what may be the holdup. I’d offer Riley, Wilson, and a 3rd piece. That’s 2 top 100 prospects.

Anytime Now Frankie... tululush's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    I don't know if there was an official offer per say....Craig Mish has always reported that Austin Riley was on the table, but the Marlins really like Ian Anderson. Again, idk if we would do both Anderson and Riley, plus another smaller piece.
    If we could extend JTR what would everyone be willing to give up?

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Once. And never located a breaker in the same zip code as the zone. Not sure that bodes well
    Not even interested in the 98. During games last year he was dynamite sitting at 92-93 (my guess). His offspeed pitches show much better than this. I actually hate this video because of how his offspeed pitches looked. But it's something. He will need to hold that velocity into later innings as well. He did ok with that last year.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tululush View Post
    If we could extend JTR what would everyone be willing to give up?
    Exactly the same package without the extension.

Signing a player to a market rate extension does not increase his value at all. Only dumb teams like the Reds and Padres are still under the impression that it does, which is why it never happens unless one of those dumb teams is involved. Dave Cameron left FG to join the SD front office, and it must be infuriating for him to see them make moves like signing Hosmer (who he was adamently against), and place additional value on an extension window.

While Mejia and Anderson are both 55s, position prospects are generally considered more valuable due to their lower risk. Riley is also a 55, as is Verdugo, and all 4 of those guys could hold roughly equivalent value based on internal evaluations of any of the clubs involved. Other factors may cause the teams involved to value one of them less highly...like Anderson’s reportedly low spin rates.

If it comes down to Anderson plus stuff vs Mejia plus stuff vs Verdugo plus stuff, I have to imagine the Marlins will prefer not to send JTR to Atlanta unless the “stuff” is far superior, which is the definition of an overpay.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 01-26-2019 at 11:44 AM.

Spring Training Invitee TheRunningAgent's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    I know every trade comes with a risk but I fear that 3 years from now Riley, Anderson and Contreras are studs in other teams and JT is an average catcher. That’s the problem. So, what if one of those guys become a stud? And, don’t you think there’s a decent chance of that? I just keep looking at what we could be in 2 years and beyond if we hold on. Maybe that is what AA is dealing with.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRunningAgent View Post
    I know every trade comes with a risk but I fear that 3 years from now Riley, Anderson and Contreras are studs in other teams and JT is an average catcher. That’s the problem. So, what if one of those guys become a stud? And, don’t you think there’s a decent chance of that? I just keep looking at what we could be in 2 years and beyond if we hold on. Maybe that is what AA is dealing with.
    That's exactly what he's dealing with, and exactly what the problem is for some folks. GMs are scared to death to slightly overpay to win NOW. Nobody argues the valuations (much), the risks involved, etc. - simply the strategy. No one even argues that not making certain trades likely helps stretch your window at times.

What drives some people nuts about the strategy is that for all that value you protect, you also miss opportunities. Would this team be better while it has Freeman, Donaldson, Acuna, and Albies if you added Realmuto, Haniger, or Kluber? Of course it would. If some of the prospects you gave up became stars for someone else but trading them for someone that brings the franchise a Championship, lots of people could live with that.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

On BBA's Top 100 Prospects List PurpleBrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts
    The Marlins seem like because they got ripped on the Yelich, Stanton, Gordon, and Ozuna deals that they need to make it up it with Realmuto.

The Indians were experimenting with Mejia at other positions when they had the likes of a struggling Yan Gomes and Roberto Perez behind the dish. Now the Padres are willing to part with him after sending off Brad Hand. Something is off there.

I'm indifferent on JT. We'll be okay without him, but will be happy if we get him without giving up the farm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Mejia plus Renfroe or one of their other surplus outfielders should get this done for the Padres.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

clvclv (01-26-2019)

On BBA's Top 100 Prospects List PurpleBrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts
    Just looking at offense numbers, JT got a lot of volume. He played 13 games a 1b. You combine Suzuki & Flowers and pro rate it vs games Realmuto played, and their numbers probably won't be all that different.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRunningAgent View Post
    We can’t keep putting it off every year bc FF will be gone and we’ll have less control our young stars we have now. But Riley, Anderson, and Contreras is way to much anyways.

Spring Training Invitee TheRunningAgent's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    We can’t keep putting it off every year bc FF will be gone and we’ll have less control our young stars we have now. But Riley, Anderson, and Contreras is way to much anyways.
    When I mentioned Contreras, it wasn’t because I thought he would be in the deal, it’s because I assume if we have JT, we won’t need Contreras so there would be another deal for a player. All assuming we sign JT long term.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    : The Marlins aren’t allowing teams to discuss an extension with Realmuto, MLB.com’s Joe Frisaro reports (Twitter link). This would certainly seem to be an obstacle for the Padres, given Morosi’s earlier news. Beyond the Padres and Dodgers, Frisaro also lists the Rays, Reds, Braves, and Astros as suitors in the Realmuto sweepstakes, and it’s still “hard to handicap who has [the] inside edge” at this point.
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I just saw that. That may not set well with the Pads bc I doubt he’ll resign there. He seems like he wants to test the FA waters unless it’s a team he really wants to be on.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Holy hell can they just deal him already?

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    I seriously think that someone in the Marlins organization is secretly sabotaging them. There is no way that they think the way they are handling JT is smart.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    I just saw that. That may not set well with the Pads bc I doubt he’ll resign there. He seems like he wants to test the FA waters unless it’s a team he really wants to be on.
    After seeing the way that AA is running things, I highly doubt we get JTR. But we make perfect sense for him. Our window of contention is open, we have a very hitter friendly park to hit in for him. And we have a catching prospect that will probably be ready to take over just as he is becoming a FA.
    Get off my lawn!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    I seriously think that someone in the Marlins organization is secretly sabotaging them. There is no way that they think the way they are handling JT is smart.
    Agreed, if you could get a bigger package for him but allowing him to agree to an extension, how would you not do that? Especially if it is not to Atlanta.
    Get off my lawn!

NL Rookie of the Year Acuña’s Bat Flip's Avatar
    Gaffney, South Carolina (Home of the Big Butt "Peach" on I-85)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    FF will retire a Brave.