Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    David O'Brien
    @DOBrienATL
    ·
    22m
    #Braves had Realmuto discussions with #Marlins at Winter Meetings, let Miami know what they were willing to give up to get the catcher. I'm told nothing had changed since then as far as what Braves were willing to part with, despite some reports to contrary.

Ken Rosenthal
    Ken Rosenthal
    @Ken_Rosenthal
    ·
    31m
    #Phillies view Realmuto, if acquired, as another potential enticement for Harper or Machado. Obviously, the biggest enticement will be money.
    Get off my lawn!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Mish thinks that before today we had the best outstanding offer and it looks like the Phillies are topping it.
    If AA allowed the Marlins to play him as their chick on the back burner while they looked around the bar for a hotter one...not good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    If AA allowed the Marlins to play him as their chick on the back burner while they looked around the bar for a hotter one...not good.
    Yeah... this is a tough place to be. I know many of us are disappointed and it feels like we aren't doing sh** while the division is getting so much better, but we don't have the monetary resources Philly does, so making deals like this is absolutely ludicrous.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    It only sucks if it prevented them from doing other deals. Otherwise there isnt much you can do if you refuse to overpay.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    The reality is that mid market teams like the Braves can't overpay on deals like this.
    Yeah there was just no way to comfortably beat a package like the one thats being reported. If the right deal comes along, I'd be all for trading some prospects. But 2 years of Realmuto just isn't worth a package that big. At least not to us.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BeanieAntics For This Useful Post:

TheRunningAgent (02-07-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    It only sucks if it prevented them from doing other deals. Otherwise there isnt much you can do if you refuse to overpay.
    The Braves ended up with Mac at C and Markakis in RF, so I think it's safe to assume it prevented/influenced other deals. For example, JTR with Mac as the fallback option is why they didn't sign Grandal at a bargain rate. Knowing a JTR trade would require pitching likely meant they had to hold back cash to sign a SP, so they had to go cheap in RF.

It's looking more and more like AA jumped at JD, and then allowed the Marlins to hold the rest of his off season hostage.

Hopefully AA has something else on the trade front lined up that will pop off when the JTR saga finally ends. I just can't come up with any logical trade alternatives at this point in the off season.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 02-07-2019 at 01:09 PM.

NL Rookie of the Year CrazyTrain's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    Yeah... this is a tough place to be. I know many of us are disappointed and it feels like we aren't doing sh** while the division is getting so much better, but we don't have the monetary resources Philly does, so making deals like this is absolutely ludicrous.
    We had other opportunities to improve that we didn't take and that has nothing to do with JT or lack of funds.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    The Phillies need to quit half stepping and offer machado and Bryce 10-year 450 million.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Not so sure about that. I think we have made a standing offer and it hasn’t changed. If the Phillies want to over pay for two years of a catcher that doesn’t play every day... so be it.

You can be sure AA and his staff have crunched the numbers and will not over pay to get him. The Phillies have more money and can do that. We value our prospect more because they mean more to us with less payroll available.

I am perfectly ok not to see Tex part two.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    The Braves ended up with Mac at C and Markakis in RF, so I think it's safe to assume it prevented/influenced other deals.

Hopefully AA has something else on the trade front lined up that will pop off when the JTR saga finally ends. I just can't come up with any logical trade alternatives at this point in the off season.
    I mean when you put it that way then yeah your probably right.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Guessing that Harper or Machado has told them they will sign if they get another piece to prove they are serious about winning. They see the overpay as part of the HarChado investment.

No information, just conjecture.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    I mean when you put it that way then yeah your probably right.
    For example, JTR with Mac as the fallback option is why they didn't sign Grandal at a bargain rate. Knowing a JTR trade would require pitching likely meant they had to hold back cash to sign a SP, so they had to go cheap in RF.

It's looking more and more like AA jumped at JD, and then allowed the Marlins to hold the rest of his off season hostage.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    Guessing that Harper or Machado has told them they will sign if they get another piece to prove they are serious about winning. They see the overpay as part of the HarChado investment.

No information, just conjecture.
    i think it's all about money. that's it.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyTrain View Post
    We had other opportunities to improve that we didn't take and that has nothing to do with JT or lack of funds.
    Agreed, don't get me wrong. I was speaking in this regard. We absolutely have to nut-up and make a big-time trade for a guy like Kluber. For us to have a legit chance in the division, moves have to be made, and soon.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    i think it's all about money. that's it.
    I'm sure both Harper and Machado are looking to sign with contenders, but I agree that in the end, it will likely be more about the jing. I'm just really curious to see what offers are on the table for both of them.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    The Braves ended up with Mac at C and Markakis in RF, so I think it's safe to assume it prevented/influenced other deals. For example, JTR with Mac as the fallback option is why they didn't sign Grandal at a bargain rate. Knowing a JTR trade would require pitching likely meant they had to hold back cash to sign a SP, so they had to go cheap in RF.

This is where I'm at.

I hope if he was waiting out the JTR saga, that he also had another deal or two ready if he missed out on JTR.

I cannot be convinced that only signing JD is a positive offseason when we had money and prospects to spend

NL Rookie of the Year CrazyTrain's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    This is where I'm at.

I hope if he was waiting out the JTR saga, that he also had another deal or two ready if he missed out on JTR.

I cannot be convinced that only signing JD is a positive offseason when we had money and prospects to spend
    I don't buy that the other deals were made to keep the door open for JT. If he did, he's a bigger idiot than I thought.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyTrain View Post
    I don't buy that the other deals were made to keep the door open for JT. If he did, he's a bigger idiot than I thought.
    It doesn't take a sales engineer to realize AA should have traded Newk plus Fried plus 2 others for MadBum, and then extended him for 6 years.

I wish AA was smart enough to make those types of moves. Oh well, I guess the Braves GM simply isn't smart enough to sell widgets and doodads...so he had to run a baseball team instead.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 02-07-2019 at 01:53 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    Really not happy with AA
    Get off my lawn!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    Jim Bowden
    @JimBowdenGM
    ·
    35m
    One side bar story should be how #Braves and #Dodgers lost out on Realmuto and the type of impact he could have had for either team. Also, for Realmuto Citizen Bank Park will certainly help him get to 25-30 HR. He’s plus FLD,ARM,Blocking, great at calling a game. Framing just avg
    Get off my lawn!