Page 429 of 579 FirstFirst ... 329379419427428429430431439479529 ... LastLast
Results 8,561 to 8,580 of 11579

Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Phils upgraded by about 3 wins, and will upgrade by another 3-4 wins when they sign Machado or Harper.

That leaves the projected NL East to be roughly

Nats 91 wins
    Mets 85 wins
    Phils 85 wins
    Braves 82 wins

The Braves are still certainly contenders, but they are pretty clearly on their way to being the 4th best team on paper.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    I think he improved our baseline in wins. Literally every other team besides the Marlins are trying to for it. Like 90% of moves in the NL are from teams in the East.
    If you want to use projections as your fallback as more numerically-inclined posters do (without trying to re-hash all the old arguments about how close those projections will actually look like the real numbers come October), that's more than defensible.

The problem is - no matter how one wants to juggle the numbers and projections - anyone who says they're happy with this offseason given the assets and money AA had is lying. If you're not disappointed in an MVP-level guy with huge injury concerns, Mac (and his injury issues), and Markakis (and his expected steeper decline) as your "upgrades", you're at least telling a pretty big white lie.

No matter what points more analytically-leaning posters toss out there, the Braves fanbase in general is understandably *issed about this winter.
    Last edited by clvclv; 02-07-2019 at 04:01 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Anthopolous made the first major signing of the offseason (Donaldson) well before anything happened on the cOF market.

I think people are being ridiculously low on Donaldson, who is a fairly good bet to be the best hitter of the free agent class in 2019.

3B in my opinion was a need and the combination of Donaldson, Markakis and Camargo on the bench is better than most of the alternatives, I've seen.
    Well, I am fairly sure folks are expecting too much. Once a player breaks down, particularly his hitting base they are never the same. One need not look any further than Chipper. What looked like 3000/500 HR synch went away quickly with bad legs, followed by shoulder and back.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I think it is slightly higher at this point. There are various ways of estimating payrolls (some include pro-rated bonuses, salaries of guys on the 40 man but not 25 man, etc). So make sure it is an apples to apples comparison.

I would also make the point that every team has the option of moving forward wins from future seasons by trading prospects for major league talent. I would argue that the extent to which we choose to do that should not be overly influenced by what the other teams in our division are doing. Rather it should mainly be based on what I call the value proposition. If we focus relentlessly on value (and AA seems to be doing that) everything else will take care of itself.
    IIRC, the 2018 opening day payroll was $110M, or $118M if you counted Kazmir's deferred money all up front.

The Braves currently sit at $114M, and will almost certainly add around the edges of the roster before ST.

Payroll went up, but not by nearly the amount folks were hoping. It seems to me AA understands contention is not guaranteed, and neither is the extra revenue contention would provide.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Need to factor in framing too
    Also Suzuki is being paid more on a multi-year year deal.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I’d be perfectly fine with Mac if we wouldn’t have brought back Neck bc we had to upgrade 1 of the 2 spots by a good margin and we didn’t do that. Bringing back Neck to be a starter while trying to compete with all the other teams in our division getting better was unacceptable imo. We just won the division and had a ton of ammo to use and we just fell flat. I know all about how many wins he added and at what cost but that’s my biggest pet peeve about the whole thing. It’s mostly tied to just one guy.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hudson2 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (02-07-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Phils upgraded by about 3 wins, and will upgrade by another 3-4 wins when they sign Machado or Harper.

Nats 91 wins
    Mets 85 wins
    Phils 85 wins
    Braves 82 wins

The Braves are still certainly contenders, but they are pretty clearly on their way to being the 4th best team on paper.
    How did the Braves drop to 82 wins from 85 wins in your post half an hour ago?

"I am your retribution."

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    I’d be perfectly fine with Mac if we wouldn’t have brought back Neck bc we had to upgrade 1 of the 2 spots by a good margin and we didn’t do that. Bringing back Neck to be a starter while trying to compete with all the other teams in our division getting better was unacceptable imo. We just won the division and had a ton of ammo to use and we just fell flat. I know all about how many wins he added and at what cost but that’s my biggest pet peeve about the whole thing. It’s mostly tied to just one guy.
    Who we have to pray the DH gets added in 2019 so we can hope he has a better chance of making it through 140+ games.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Spring Training Invitee TheRunningAgent's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

Nats 91 wins
    Mets 85 wins
    Phils 85 wins
    Braves 82 wins

What was this projection last year? Do you have access to that?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I expect the Phils to bring in Keuchel and maybe Kimbrel. If they add Harper or Machado then they are clearly the best team in the division.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Who we have to pray the DH gets added in 2019 so we can hope he has a better chance of making it through 140+ games.
    If Donaldson goes down for a long period of time we are done for the season without really overpaying for somebody in a trade. We got lucky a lot last year and I don’t see it happening 2 years in a row.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Disappointment from missing out on realmuto is worth -0.12 wins. Multiply that by 25 players and you get -3 wins. Math brah

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    IIRC, the 2018 opening day payroll was $110M, or $118M if you counted Kazmir's deferred money all up front.

The Braves currently sit at $114M, and will almost certainly add around the edges of the roster before ST.

Payroll went up, but not by nearly the amount folks were hoping. It seems to me AA understands contention is not guaranteed, and neither is the extra revenue contention would provide.
    My calculation was last year was $113M and I concur with your $114M for this year so far. It will be around 117M after we add Bud Norris.

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    I think it is slightly higher at this point. There are various ways of estimating payrolls (some include pro-rated bonuses, salaries of guys on the 40 man but not 25 man, etc). So make sure it is an apples to apples comparison.

I would also make the point that every team has the option of moving forward wins from future seasons by trading prospects for major league talent. I would argue that the extent to which we choose to do that should not be overly influenced by what the other teams in our division are doing. Rather it should mainly be based on what I call the value proposition. If we focus relentlessly on value (and AA seems to be doing that) everything else will take care of itself.

It's hard to say for sure, but AJC calculated them at about 116 with the buyouts and the number seems to be around 114 now. I sort of think they'll add a good bit to the 114 though. Even if it's just a string of minor ****.

What your opponents are doing doesn't make much difference, except that it significantly affects your chances to make the playoffs.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    If Donaldson goes down for a long period of time we are done for the season without really overpaying for somebody in a trade. We got lucky a lot last year and I don’t see it happening 2 years in a row.
    If Donaldson goes down they will play Camargo at 3B, which a lot of people seem to think went well last year.

The season is hardly over. To the extent, that a Donaldson injury would hurt their chances that would be true of an injury to any of the Braves best players.

I've not really understood the thinking that Donaldson is a huge injury risk. He's been hurt before. He's also been a workhorse before. It's not chronic stuff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Disappointment from missing out on realmuto is worth -0.12 wins. Multiply that by 25 players and you get -3 wins. Math brah
    hey...let's talk about Dansby...i hear his wrist is feeling really strong

"I am your retribution."

18. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

buck75 (02-07-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Because I mentally add in catcher framing and the Acuna bump.

FG doesn't.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    hey...let's talk about Dansby...i hear his wrist is feeling really strong
    .775 ops this year. It's going down

No bet

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    I still have us at 83-85 wins, but I think we have to add at least some sort of piece before the end of the offseason. Preferably, that piece would be Marwin Gonzalez for me, but I'm not sure we have the resources to get that done. Looking at our options and limitations, I'm not really sure what pieces we could add that would move the needle a ton at this point.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Question for the numbers crowd (no one's taking a shot at you)...

$31 million spent on Donaldson, Markakis, and Mac and moving Camargo to the bench (with a little left over for somewhat inconsequential signings)

OR

$31 million per spent on Harper, promoting Riley, and moving Camargo to the bench (with a little left over for somewhat inconsequential signings)???

We all get that a long-term deal for Harper is a gamble, but you seriously believe one of Riley or Camargo couldn't produce enough more at 3B rather than going with Donaldson at 3B and Markakis instead of Harper in RF?

The money will never work out exactly, but if you have Julio, Vizcaino, O'Day, Culberson, Duvall, Mac, and other marginal bench/pen options coming off the books in the not so distant future that you can replace with less-expensive options, would you really be THAT much better off running away from a big commitment???
    Last edited by clvclv; 02-07-2019 at 04:27 PM.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

VirginiaBrave (02-07-2019)