Page 45 of 579 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595145545 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Blue Jays have declined Solarte's option. They still have the option to take him through arbitration but are expected to trade or non-tender him.

This might make someone happy.
    He's just another option. I'll be more happy with Walker or Lamb. And Anibal. We must bring back Anibal.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    He's just another option. I'll be more happy with Walker or Lamb. And Anibal. We must bring back Anibal.
    Agree with bringing Sanchez back. His mentoring is well worth the 5-6 mil it might take. I actually think he'd go for 4.5 mil with option for 2020. Keep him on board for when whom ever AA hires for Pitching Coach flops like Chuckie!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    If a deal is right, then sure, but I definitely don't think we should be in the market for starting pitching. The obvious holes are at catcher and in the outfield, primarily a power-hitting outfielder. Fill those two well and get a high-level BP arm or two and we are set.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    If a deal is right, then sure, but I definitely don't think we should be in the market for starting pitching. The obvious holes are at catcher and in the outfield, primarily a power-hitting outfielder. Fill those two well and get a high-level BP arm or two and we are set.
    There is a potentially tie-in. For example, if we trade Newcomb as part of a deal for Peralta or some other outfielder, having Suarez back makes that easier to do.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 11-01-2018 at 11:22 AM.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,709 Posts
    Add Donaldson, Sanchez, Brantley, McCann, and familia

Acuna
    Brantley
    FF
    Donaldson
    Albies
    Ender
    Flowers/McCann
    Swanson

Get Camargo in the lineup a lot

Folty
    Gausman
    Julio
    Sanchez
    Newcomb/fried/soroka/Wright

Familia
    Aj
    Viz
    Venters
    Winkler
    Freeman
    Sobotka
    Whoever doesn't stick as starter

Do we have the money to make this happen? Is signing Donaldson and Brantley too risky?
    Last edited by msstate7; 11-01-2018 at 06:46 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Add Donaldson, Sanchez, Brantley, McCann, and familia

Acuna
    Brantley
    FF
    Donaldson
    Albies
    Ender
    Flowers/McCann
    Swanson

Get Camargo in the lineup a lot

Folty
    Gausman
    Julio
    Sanchez
    Newcomb/fried/soroka/Wright

Familia
    Aj
    Viz
    Venters
    Winkler
    Freeman
    Soroka
    Whoever doesn't stick as starter

Do we have the money to make this happen? Is signing Donaldson and Brantley too risky?
    I would go in a slightly different direction.

1) Bring back Suzuki and Anibal (1 year deals for total of 12M)

2) Add Joakim Soria for the pen (2 year deal at 14M AAV)

3) Trade Newcomb and Wentz for Peralta and Lamb. This would add about 14M in salary.

Total salary add is about 40M.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 11-01-2018 at 11:34 AM.

"I am your retribution."

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Sign Machado
    Sign Kimbrell
    Get Realmuto
    Put Camargo in LF
    Throw the farm at Degrom
    Go win WS

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Iglesias is a FA.
    Misunderstood, my bad - assumed he meant Raisel.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulavol View Post
    Sign Machado
    Sign Kimbrell
    Get Realmuto
    Put Camargo in LF
    Throw the farm at Degrom
    Go win WS
    There's no way we sign Kimbrel and Machado. I could see signing Kimbrel and/or Machado and grabbing Realmuto, even if it's not likely.

But talk about a deep lineup:

Acuna RF
    Machado 3B
    Freeman 1B
    Realmuto C
    Camargo LF
    Albies 2B
    Swanson SS
    Folty
    Ender CF

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    EL said in his chat today that the cubs would say "no" to a jon gray for ian happ deal. that probably dashes our hope of a newcomb for happ deal.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Iglesias is a FA.
    No clv was right. The guy from Reddit was talking about Raisel Iglesias. He traded Inciarte and Allard for Iglesias in his hypothetical, which is a ridiculous deal. Most of them were. Here is a link to the ridiculousness if anyone is interested: https://i.redd.it/un6uh13sxiv11.png

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    It seems like this "acquire a TOR starter" narrative is going to be pervasive again this off season...

Ryan C
    3:15 Who do you think Braves target this offseason?
    Jeffrey Todd
    3:16 I think it's a really, really good question in the sense that ... we can guess fits, but what specific player do they really press to get? Some teams may not have a guy. They might let the market develop and seek value from their list of possibilities. You can imagine the Braves doing that, to a large extent, but I do also wonder if they really have their eye on someone.
    3:18 Most likely, I guess, that'd be a pitcher. Trade or FA? I don't know. Corbin is still young and could be a clear target, but same holds for other teams. In trade, there are not a lot of guys who are premium talents and premium performers who figure to be available. Robbie Ray and Marcus Stroman seem like good buy-low targets, but is that really what they'll be looking for? Can they find a way to structure a Greinke deal? He might be the best non-FA pitcher available.

I completely disagree that it's a good idea, but a lot of folks (on these forums and everywhere else) think it's likely to happen.

If AA is going to target a rotation upgrade I trust him to get another good value like he did with Gausman.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    It seems like this "acquire a TOR starter" narrative is going to be pervasive again this off season...

Ryan C
    Jeffrey Todd
    3:16 I think it's a really, really good question in the sense that ... we can guess fits, but what specific player do they really press to get? Some teams may not have a guy. They might let the market develop and seek value from their list of possibilities. You can imagine the Braves doing that, to a large extent, but I do also wonder if they really have their eye on someone.
    3:18 Most likely, I guess, that'd be a pitcher. Trade or FA? I don't know. Corbin is still young and could be a clear target, but same holds for other teams. In trade, there are not a lot of guys who are premium talents and premium performers who figure to be available. Robbie Ray and Marcus Stroman seem like good buy-low targets, but is that really what they'll be looking for? Can they find a way to structure a Greinke deal? He might be the best non-FA pitcher available.

I completely disagree that it's a good idea, but a lot of folks (on these forums and everywhere else) think it's likely to happen.

If AA is going to target a rotation upgrade I trust him to get another good value like he did with Gausman.
    I think I need to throw up...

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,494 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    No clv was right. The guy from Reddit was talking about Raisel Iglesias. He traded Inciarte and Allard for Iglesias in his hypothetical, which is a ridiculous deal. Most of them were. Here is a link to the ridiculousness if anyone is interested: https://i.redd.it/un6uh13sxiv11.png
    He left $18m might as well have said sign Donaldson for a 2 year deal at $18m lol
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,525 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

Ryan C
    Jeffrey Todd

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    My head is about to explode from triggering. How dare you use a GIF to circumvent this board's censoring rules. I had forgotten that word even existed. Now I have to shower.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to BeanieAntics For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (11-02-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    We need to put our resources into a COF, C, 3B instead of SP. We have a ton of depth and should be fine.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Interesting discussion Eduardo Perez and Steve Phillips just had on XM...just how attached is AA to Dansby's defense?

Move Camargo to SS, sign Donaldson to a 2 year deal with a team option, sign Brantley to play LF with Acuna sliding over to RF, and include Dansby as part of a deal for Realmuto or pitching.

It'd certainly be a big gamble that Donaldson and Brantley could stay healthy, but you'd still have Riley to hedge against a Donaldson injury. FWIW, Phillips referenced the $57 million in salaries coming off the books, so he's playing in Bowman's sandbox. I don't think many believe in Bowman's math, but if he were somehow right and there is $60 million to spend and you non-tender Duvall and Freeman, could he almost fit Donaldson ($15 million per), Brantley ($12 million per), Realmuto ($6.1 million this year), Gonzalez ($12 million per), AND Britton ($12 million per) in? Dropping Duvall and Freeman goes a long way towards paying Realmuto this year and Julio comes off the books to pay for him in 2020, leaving you a little wiggle-room in the event those guesses for Donaldson, Brantley, Gonzalez, and Britton were off a bit.

Acuna, Ozzie, Freddie, Donaldson, Realmuto, Brantley, Camargo, Ender

Flow, Gonzalez, Culberson, ???

Folty, Gausman, Newk, Julio, Touki/Soroka/Fried/Wright/Gohara

Britton, Viz, Minter, O'Day, Venters, Winkler, Biddle, Sobotka

It's absolutely pie-in-the-sky thinking, but it's tough to see how that doesn't make you the favorites in the East - and possibly the "winner" of the offseason (although I'm not sure anybody wants that designation these days).

Can't see it happening in our wildest dreams, but fun to think about at least.
    Last edited by clvclv; 11-02-2018 at 08:56 AM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Interesting discussion Eduardo Perez and Steve Phillips just had on XM...just how attached is AA to Dansby's defense?

Move Camargo to SS, sign Donaldson to a 2 year deal with a team option, sign Brantley to play LF with Acuna sliding over to RF, and include Dansby as part of a deal for Realmuto or pitching.

It'd certainly be a big gamble that Donaldson and Brantley could stay healthy, but you'd still have Riley to hedge against a Donaldson injury. FWIW, Phillips referenced the $57 million in salaries coming off the books, so he's playing in Bowman's sandbox. I don't think many believe in Bowman's math, but if he were somehow right and there is $60 million to spend and you non-tender Duvall and Freeman, could he almost fit Donaldson ($15 million per), Brantley ($12 million per), Realmuto ($6.1 million this year), Gonzalez ($12 million per), AND Britton ($12 million per) in? Dropping Duvall and Freeman goes a long way towards paying Realmuto this year and Julio comes off the books to pay for him in 2020, leaving you a little wiggle-room in the event those guesses for Donaldson, Brantley, Gonzalez, and Britton were off a bit.

Acuna, Ozzie, Freddie, Donaldson, Realmuto, Brantley, Camargo, Ender

Flow, Gonzalez, Culberson, ???

Folty, Gausman, Newk, Julio, Touki/Soroka/Fried/Wright/Gohara

Britton, Viz, Minter, O'Day, Venters, Winkler, Biddle, Sobotka

It's absolutely pie-in-the-sky thinking, but it's tough to see how that doesn't make you the favorites in the East - and possibly the "winner" of the offseason (although I'm not sure anybody wants that designation these days).

Can't see it happening in our wildest dreams, but fun to think about at least.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

UNCBlue012 (11-02-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Grandal will definitely be getting a QO: https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/...i-grandal.html

The odd comment (to me) in the article: "The decision to issue Grandal a QO at that rate may come as a surprise for some"

Who exactly is surprised by this?