Page 53 of 579 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103153553 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 11579

Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    The Greinke signing is the cautionary tale for mid-market teams thinking about doing similar. Greinke has actually pitched well in the first three years of his contract. But that contract has erased almost all of their financial flexibility. It limits their ability to resign Pollock or extent Goldschmidt. They will probably try to move him this off-season and will be willing to pay for part of his deal in order to try to regain some financial flexibility.

Trades for TOR pitchers on team friendly contracts have more of a chance of success than signing someone like that on the FA market. Even then, the cost in prospect capital is prohibitive and for most teams it doesn't make sense to try to extent those kinds of pitchers once their current deals run out.

Only the big market teams (Yankees, Cubs, Dodgers, Red Sox and maybe 1 or 2 others) should take the risks associated with big long-term commitments to a pitcher.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 11-04-2018 at 06:08 PM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Interesting question...

IF AA went out and signed Donaldson and Brantley, and traded for Realmuto at the dollars MLBTR projects for 2019 ($41.1 million) - and fills in the other roster spots cheaply - do you believe we've got enough pitching (particularly in the pen) to seriously contend?

Ozzie, Acuna, Freeman, Donaldson, Realmuto, Brantley, Ender, Dansby would be incredible if everyone could stay healthy, and Flow, Camargo, Culberson, and Duvall would stand a chance to be a pretty potent and flexible bench, but do you believe in our arms enough to roll those dice?
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Interesting question...

IF AA went out and signed Donaldson and Brantley, and traded for Realmuto at the dollars MLBTR projects for 2019 ($41.1 million) - and fills in the other roster spots cheaply - do you believe we've got enough pitching (particularly in the pen) to seriously contend?

Ozzie, Acuna, Freeman, Donaldson, Realmuto, Brantley, Ender, Dansby would be incredible if everyone could stay healthy, and Flow, Camargo, Culberson, and Duvall would stand a chance to be a pretty potent and flexible bench, but do you believe in our arms enough to roll those dice?
    We need to trade Teheran for some kind bullpen and bench bat. Plus we need to cut Duvall and Freeman.

Arbitration Eligible Freshmaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    521 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Interesting question...

Not really, no. We don't have much in the way of shutdown guys for the postseason (though Folty's 2nd start impressed me). You're hoping for a lot of growth from the guys we have, which I wouldn't predict would be enough to make us real Series contenders

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    After all the talk about how this team was 1 year early on being competitive, for some reason I got the feeling we will be disappointed with the adds we make this offseason. Like we make a few fringe adds, have our name connected to the likes of harper, machado, Corbin, Kluber, etc but sit by and watch the best talent go...
    Get off my lawn!

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Still not ready to push all in this year. I think smart additions and let the team grow together. Even if we don’t win it all. I like to see what we can develop. That is my take. People tend to get impatient. We have a real shot at building a long term powerhouse.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Still not ready to push all in this year. I think smart additions and let the team grow together. Even if we don’t win it all. I like to see what we can develop. That is my take. People tend to get impatient. We have a real shot at building a long term powerhouse.
    I wouldn’t go all in yet either but I would get a stud catcher like JT and trade for a young outfielder and see how far we can get with that. Then tweak it again when we see how the pitchers progress

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Sign Brantley for LF
    Sign Marwin Gonzalez for Supersub.
    Sign Kelvin Herrera for Bullpen
    Trade Newcomb and Riley for Realmuto
    Go with our Young Pitchers and see what we need at deadline.
    If our offense can score enough I think our pitching will be good. With both Camargo and Gonzalez we have alot of flexability to move things around.
    Last edited by elmore80; 11-04-2018 at 10:21 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Sign Markakis 1 year with a possible second year option.(Wait for Cristian Pache)
    Trade Mike Soroka or Kyle Wright, Gohara and Waters for Jt Realmuto possible Derek Dietrich.
    Trade Julio Teheran for bullpen help.
    Sign Charlie Morton for 2 year contract.

A full year of Ronald Acuña and Jt Realmuto from day one should make this team a lot better.
    We need to save money for the trade deadline.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ixiXSolidXixi View Post
    Sign Markakis 1 year with a possible second year option.(Wait for Cristian Pache)
    Trade Mike Soroka or Kyle Wright, Gohara and Waters for Jt Realmuto possible Derek Dietrich.
    Trade Julio Teheran for bullpen help.
    Sign Charlie Morton for 2 year contract.

A full year of Ronald Acuña and Jt Realmuto from day one should make this team a lot better.
    We need to save money for the trade deadline.
    We need to move on from Markakis. He’s 35 and had a bad 2nd half and bad in the playoffs. If we go into the season with Markakis then AA failed imo. We have to many resources both in money and prospects to wait 2 years on Pache who may not pan out in the long run. Leave the SP alone and just concentrate on COF, C and bench help with a bullpen upgrade.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hudson2 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-05-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    We need to move on from Markakis. He’s 35 and had a bad 2nd half and bad in the playoffs. If we go into the season with Markakis then AA failed imo. We have to many resources both in money and prospects to wait 2 years on Pache who may not pan out in the long run. Leave the SP alone and just concentrate on COF, C and bench help with a bullpen upgrade.
    I don’t want Markakis!! All those moves are the ones i feel the Braves will make.Brantley and Pollock will not come cheap and they get hurt frequently. McCutchen is not the player he used to be. If we are going to sign any of this players we need a short term contract and i believe none of them want that. Thats why at the end Braves will sign Nick Markakis again with a short deal contract.

The Braves offense should improve with Jt Realmuto and a full year of Ronald Acuña.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elmore80 View Post
    Sign Brantley for LF
    Sign Marwin Gonzalez for Supersub.
    Sign Kelvin Herrera for Bullpen
    Trade Newcomb and Riley for Realmuto
    Go with our Young Pitchers and see what we need at deadline.
    If our offense can score enough I think our pitching will be good. With both Camargo and Gonzalez we have alot of flexability to move things around.
    I like this general path, but I'd rather trade for Peralta and sign Grandal. I've been sold on the importance of framing and having an elite framer who can hit, I think, is more valuable than what a Realmuto trade would ultimately bring to the table (considering prospect cost). Also not completely sold on the idea of getting bullpen help.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ixiXSolidXixi View Post
    I don’t want Markakis!! All those moves are the ones i feel the Braves will make.Brantley and Pollock will not come cheap and they get hurt frequently. McCutchen is not the player he used to be. If we are going to sign any of this players we need a short term contract and i believe none of them want that. Thats why at the end Braves will sign Nick Markakis again with a short deal contract.

The Braves offense should improve with Jt Realmuto and a full year of Ronald Acuña.
    All those reasons you listed is why I think the Braves will pursue Peralta or another corner outfielder through trade and us the FA market to sign a catcher.

Spring Training Invitee TheRunningAgent's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Where are these Kluber rumors coming from? Anything to it? Ender, Julio and 2 prospects for Kluber and Yan. Then, Pache plays CF. Anybody in? If we did that, we still need a RF.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by salmagundy View Post
    And none of the Braves FAs re-sign including Anibel, Giants 2/22. Also, Braves sign Cody Allen, 2/16
    They can have Anibel at that price. Max I'm willing to give him is 10 million for 1 season with a 2nd year option. I like Sanchez a lot, but he's a big risk.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

clvclv (11-05-2018)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    Rosenthal wrote today that we are an unlikely team for Kluber, Carrasco or Bauer, and that our bigger needs are corner OF, a second catcher and bench help.

He also said we will "probably be inclined to keep most of" our pitching prospects. He says the Rays and Brewers have shown how young arms can be deployed in new, innovative ways, and that clubs now more than ever are better off if stocking up arms.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    I’d rather have Pollock at 4/60 then Brantley for 3/45
    Why is that? Brantley pretty clearly has the better offensive history and they both have missed a good amount of time to injury lately.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    That's way too much to give up for Realmuto
    It's probably close to fair value, but no way I'm making that deal. Realmuto is luxury, not a need.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Rosenthal wrote today that we are an unlikely team for Kluber, Carrasco or Bauer, and that our bigger needs are corner OF, a second catcher and bench help.

He also said we will "probably be inclined to keep most of" our pitching prospects. He says the Rays and Brewers have shown how young arms can be deployed in new, innovative ways, and that clubs now more than ever are better off if stocking up arms.

I've doubted Rosenthal on the Braves before, but keeping most of the pitching prospects doesn't really gibe with AA talking about improving by trade at nearly every opportunity to be heard the last month or so.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post

It would be stupid not to at least try.