Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

NL Rookie of the Year CrazyTrain's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    And his stuff has regressed quite a bit
    Hopefully his offseason training should help that.

Gausman admitted on the broadcast last night that he wasn't trying in Baltimore and that the trade to ATL was a big wake up call for him. Julio had the same issue from the rebuild and I hope last years post season was his wake up call.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyTrain View Post
    lol, father time? He's 28.
    I realize tour ignorance about pitcher aging curves has you thinking MadBum is still an impact pitcher worthy of a 6 year extension, and Julio will post a 4+ win season, but do yourself a favor and learn something. Shouldn't be a challenge for a gifted sales engineer.

Julio's velocity is declining almost exactly in line with typical pitcher aging curve:

You aren't half as smart as you like to think you are.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    590 Posts
    I’d do three for CK. No doubt.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,969 Posts
    Just spend the money AA!! Get Craig and you won't have to worry about the closer for the 2-3 years. And you'll earn some love from the fanbase who were mad he was traded away in the 1st place.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (03-26-2019), UNCBlue012 (03-26-2019)

Arbitration Eligible Freshmaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    521 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Just spend the money AA!! Get Craig and you won't have to worry about the closer for the 2-3 years. And you'll earn some love from the fanbase who were mad he was traded away in the 1st place.
    Doesnt 3 years seem to be about perfect? If you give up a high-ish draft pick you don’t want a one year rental. And if you do 3 years it’s not like he can become some albatross on the books for several years

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post
    Doesnt 3 years seem to be about perfect? If you give up a high-ish draft pick you don’t want a one year rental. And if you do 3 years it’s not like he can become some albatross on the books for several years
    There is plenty of risk giving a 31 year old BP arm 3 years...

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post
    I've never understood the "no draft pick for 1 year" argument. A 1 year deal for a 30+ relief pitcher is always the preferable option if it is available to you. Losing a draft pick that is worth less than 5 million in surplus value doesn't change that in my opinion.

If we could get Kimbrel on a 1 year deal, we should do it 100 times out of 100

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,703 Posts
    Sign Kimbrel now or trade multiple good prospects for a reliever at the trade deadline. AA gets to chose.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,476 Posts
    Signing him for 3 years also increases the likelihood that he goes into Cooperstown in a Braves cap, which I selfishly want.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (03-26-2019), JohnAdcox (03-26-2019), jpx7 (03-26-2019)

NL Rookie of the Year CrazyTrain's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    Apparently Swanson went on record to say that he's never hit an oppo homer in his life and hit two the last two days...... maybe he's figuring things out?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to CrazyTrain For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (03-26-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    I've never understood the "no draft pick for 1 year" argument. A 1 year deal for a 30+ relief pitcher is always the preferable option if it is available to you. Losing a draft pick that is worth less than 5 million in surplus value doesn't change that in my opinion.

If we could get Kimbrel on a 1 year deal, we should do it 100 times out of 100
    Folks who make that argument have no idea how to value draft picks.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Sign Kimbrel now or trade multiple good prospects for a reliever at the trade deadline. AA gets to chose.

Let’s hope we are close enough in the race to be able to make a move at the deadline.
    As horrible as our bench will be with the exception of Johan and with how inconsistent our rotation is bound to be, I’m not confident we will be within striking distance for a chance for it to matter.
    I will jump on the bandwagon Thursday and put my Braves colored glasses on but the front office has beaten my trust down with the refusal to spend any extra resources they have made the past year.I understand we are ahead of schedule and I’m not wanting to trade any of our young guys until we see what we have but I don’t have faith that in the next year or two they will ever do what is needed to give us a chance to win a title while we have Acuna under contract.
    I hope the young pitchers are ahead of schedule this year and the team proves me wrong.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworm View Post
    Let’s hope we are close enough in the race to be able to make a move at the deadline.
    As horrible as our bench will be with the exception of Johan and with how inconsistent our rotation is bound to be, I’m not confident we will be within striking distance for a chance for it to matter.
    I will jump on the bandwagon Thursday and put my Braves colored glasses on but the front office has beaten my trust down with the refusal to spend any extra resources they have made the past year.I understand we are ahead of schedule and I’m not wanting to trade any of our young guys until we see what we have but I don’t have faith that in the next year or two they will ever do what is needed to give us a chance to win a title while we have Acuna under contract.
    I hope the young pitchers are ahead of schedule this year and the team proves me wrong.
    The only unforgivable sin this offseason was not acquiring one of the following players: Grandal, McCutchen, Brantley, OFer through trade. If we would have gotten on of those guys or made a trade for an OFer like Peralta or Gallo or somebody like that, I'd have been fine with the offseason. I still am, but I definitely don't love it.

Another thing I think we missed out on big time was not trading for Jurickson Profar when we had the chance. We could have easily beat the A's offer and our bench would have gone from mediocre to one of the best in baseball.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    I don't think the bench, with Joyce and Camargo and Culberson, will be bad.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    590 Posts
    I actually think this bench is going to be pretty damn good.
    Tyler/Mac
    Camargo
    Charlie
    Joyce

That ain’t shabby

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,104 Posts
    Problem is there's no RHH OF to platoon with Ender/Markakis, and Camargo got like 2 innings in the OF during ST.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (03-27-2019)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    The only unforgivable sin this offseason was not acquiring one of the following players: Grandal, McCutchen, Brantley, OFer through trade. If we would have gotten on of those guys or made a trade for an OFer like Peralta or Gallo or somebody like that, I'd have been fine with the offseason. I still am, but I definitely don't love it.

Another thing I think we missed out on big time was not trading for Jurickson Profar when we had the chance. We could have easily beat the A's offer and our bench would have gone from mediocre to one of the best in baseball.
    I've been beating the OF drum as loudly as anyone, but I just get the feeling that they've seen enough of Camargo out there - even though not so much in game situations - that they're apparently comfortable enough with him to make him that right-handed option (with Acuna sliding to CF when he plays and Ender sits).

It's always crazy to read TOO MUCH into camp happenings, but hearing Seitzer talk about how good he feels about the adjustments Ozzie's making from the left side and seeing Dansby's stronger commitment to going the other way makes it seem as if there could be less chances for Johan to play in the middle than might have been originally thought, meaning he'll have to get the vast majority of his ABs when giving Donaldson a blow or when he plays an OF corner. I'm hoping that it's one of those cases where "just because WE haven't seen him out there much doesn't mean THEY haven't seen it enough to trust him".
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    He keeps this approach and mindset and we are to find out why DS was number one overall pick.

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,773 Posts
    Okay guys. Since the off-season for all practical purposes is over, I'm going to lock this thread up. I'll start a new thread "Around the Majors 2019" . Feel free to pick up the conversation there.

Thanks everyone. For the most part, good discussion.
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide