Results 11,241 to 11,260 of 11579

Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    I don’t know about the rest of you but I thought watching Ichiros’ exit just now was awesome to watch
    Delaying his HOF by a full year. Smart?

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts
    Tomlin will start Saturday’s game and could break camp as a long reliever according to bowman
    And yall think julio gives up the long ball...just wait till you get a load of Josh!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Nick Castellanos
    Jason werth
    Hunter pence
    Melvin upton

Castellanos is kinda serious
    Castellanos would be the best of the bunch. Though I imagine he would not take kindly to being part of a platoon in a contract year.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    I’m not against bringing Duvall to camp. We don’t lose much. I am against not bringing someone else in to compete with him for the 4th OF spot. Adam Jones would have been great
    Adam Jones is pretty putrid as well and has reverse splits. I mean I guess at 3 million he'd be an ok bench bat, but again, reverse splits.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Almost like the FO realized that coming off an NL Title, depending on prospects to pitch and moving a 3+ win 3rd baseman off his position while neglecting the hole in the OF was in fact a dumb idea.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Delaying his HOF by a full year. Smart?
    He is a sure fire HoFer....i'm sure it meant more to him to finish his career in Japan than anything. It was cool to watch
    Get off my lawn!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Adam Jones is pretty putrid as well and has reverse splits. I mean I guess at 3 million he'd be an ok bench bat, but again, reverse splits.
    He would bring some veteran Lairdership to the group, so he has that going for him
    Get off my lawn!

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Castellanos would be the best of the bunch. Though I imagine he would not take kindly to being part of a platoon in a contract year.

Yeah. We should have gone after a true RH starter for a CoF. That or just pony up the 21 million and get a true utility man in Gonzo.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    And yall think julio gives up the long ball...just wait till you get a load of Josh!
    I don't have a problem with Tomlin as a long reliever/mop up guy early in the season. The starters aren't likely to pitch very deep into games leading to a heavier pen workload. So when a starter lays an egg and leaves in the third, we need someone to save the pen and give us innings. I don't want any of the young starters in that role. They need to be starting somewhere. So bringing in a guy like Tomlin for that role is perfectly reasonable.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-21-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    I’m not against bringing Duvall to camp. We don’t lose much. I am against not bringing someone else in to compete with him for the 4th OF spot. Adam Jones would have been great
    I think the front office honestly believed last year was caused by health reasons and Duvall would bounce back big in 19. I think they were planning on him returning to his lefty mashing form. It makes sense considering the rest of the offseason. The FO was open to upgrading the OF but all reports were that they were focused on other things. I think their plan was to re-sign Markakis if nothing dropped in their lap and then use a rotation of Inciarte, Markakis, and Duvall. Duvall would play against every lefty with Inciarte and Markakis rotating out.

If Duvall was going to return to form, that wouldn't be a bad idea. The problem is that the FO was fooling itself with Duvall. Believing Duvall was going to return to form was convenient for the FO as it means they didn't make a mistake trading for him. There was a bias at play there.

The money invested in Duvall is annoying and more than we need to be just wasting but the bigger problem is the opportunity cost. The belief that Duvall was going to return to form took the urgency out of upgrading the OF. Now we're looking at starting the season with big hole in the lineup, especially against lefties.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    I think the front office honestly believed last year was caused by health reasons and Duvall would bounce back big in 19. I think they were planning on him returning to his lefty mashing form. It makes sense considering the rest of the offseason. The FO was open to upgrading the OF but all reports were that they were focused on other things. I think their plan was to re-sign Markakis if nothing dropped in their lap and then use a rotation of Inciarte, Markakis, and Duvall. Duvall would play against every lefty with Inciarte and Markakis rotating out.

If Duvall was going to return to form, that wouldn't be a bad idea. The problem is that the FO was fooling itself with Duvall. Believing Duvall was going to return to form was convenient for the FO as it means they didn't make a mistake trading for him. There was a bias at play there.

The money invested in Duvall is annoying and more than we need to be just wasting but the bigger problem is the opportunity cost. The belief that Duvall was going to return to form took the urgency out of upgrading the OF. Now we're looking at starting the season with big hole in the lineup, especially against lefties.
    A common fallacy on the board... The beginning of the season is not the end of the trading season. Who are they going to add at "this late date" doesn't really apply.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post

We do have the option of playing Camargo or Riley in the outfield against lefties.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Making decisions on assumptions gets you fired. You better prepare for the what else could happen. Assuming dufail would revert to old self was a huge misstep and a clear fail. He has always been a big swing and miss guy and those players don’t age well. Another option should have been brought in.
    Coppy

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    We do have the option of playing Camargo or Riley in the outfield against lefties.

We do. But he will also be filling in around the infield and will need time off himself. Plus we haven’t seen him play the outfield much this spring so it seems that isn’t a plan of twitner. Riley is not ready
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    We do. But he will also be filling in around the infield and will need time off himself. Plus we haven’t seen him play the outfield much this spring so it seems that isn’t a plan of twitner. Riley is not ready
    We're talking one or two games per week in the outfield when a lefty is on the mound for the other team.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    We're talking one or two games per week in the outfield when a lefty is on the mound for the other team.
    A fourth outfielder also covers for injuries. Calling Camargo a fourth outfielder is a huge mistake
    Coppy

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    I hate to break it to you guys. Muk and Ender will play almost every game with the exception of now and then. Now and then...Culberson and Duvall (or whoever Duvall is replaced with), won’t really matter, because it will literally amount to a few games a month. Pache will be taking over next year the way it’s looking.

We are not going to make a big trade. There isn’t going to be a big signing. Maybe someone is cut and we cut Duvall and add them, but that will probably be more about saving money than actually improving over Duvall.

I’m fine with the Duvall trade btw. It was a low cost, high reward deal...it just hasn’t worked out.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Almost like the FO realized that coming off an NL Title, depending on prospects to pitch and moving a 3+ win 3rd baseman off his position while neglecting the hole in the OF was in fact a dumb idea.
    I think assuming Camargo is going to continue to be a 3+ win guy at 3rd is a dumb idea.

Both Camargo and Neck are projected to be similar hitters in 2019. JD is a bigger upgrade than whatever they could get in the OF to replace Neck. Also ignores that Camargo in a super utility role helps the bench as well.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-21-2019)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Making decisions on assumptions gets you fired. You better prepare for the what else could happen. Assuming dufail would revert to old self was a huge misstep and a clear fail. He has always been a big swing and miss guy and those players don’t age well. Another option should have been brought in.
    I've probably *itched about not upgrading the OF as much as anyone, but we're assuming a lot when we say Duvall was a significant part of "the plan" all along.

Granted, we don't have any evidence that he couldn't very well have been - IF everything went great and he bounced back - but we also don't really have evidence that they weren't just crossing their fingers and hoping for the best while being fully committed to using Camargo and/or Riley out there if Duvall's spring went like it has.

They weren't comfortable with the Brantley/McCutchen price tags for whatever reason, and didn't like the asking price on the trade market - it really didn't cost much to give him a look during camp to make sure he's truly "done" since he'd potentially help a ton if he wasn't...as long as they got Riley and Camargo enough reps on the grass to feel comfortable with them out there if/when needed.
    Last edited by clvclv; 03-21-2019 at 09:22 AM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    I hate to break it to you guys. Muk and Ender will play almost every game with the exception of now and then. Now and then...Culberson and Duvall (or whoever Duvall is replaced with), won’t really matter, because it will literally amount to a few games a month. Pache will be taking over next year the way it’s looking.

We are not going to make a big trade. There isn’t going to be a big signing. Maybe someone is cut and we cut Duvall and add them, but that will probably be more about saving money than actually improving over Duvall.

I’m fine with the Duvall trade btw. It was a low cost, high reward deal...it just hasn’t worked out.

I agree with the dufail trade. I don’t mind striking out on a chance. I also agree that ender and Muk will play 145ish games baring injury. I also predict we pick up option for Muk next season because of “value”
    Coppy