Page 13 of 579 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113513 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    i hate to get involved but i really don't understand criticizing someone for projecting the braves for 75-78 wins just in general. but it makes even less sense when you yourself predicted the same thing. i just don't understand.
    And did so without 14 computer programs that generated 4,000,000,000 numbers that made no difference.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    And did so without 14 computer programs that generated 4,000,000,000 numbers that made no difference.
    ...what's your point. the braves were a surprise to a lot of people (and things, like projections). informed and uninformed predictions were both surprised. that doesn't mean one is better off making uninformed predictions in the future. because the informed ones still tend to be right more often.
    it just makes no sense man.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-11-2018)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Which makes gracing us with his presence so sad. Since there's no one on this planet (certainly this particular forum) with his infinite knowledge and understanding, you'd think that someone would have developed their own private think tank by now.
    I think it’s beautiful allegory: even the divine grows lonely and must condescend to fraternize with its lessers.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (10-11-2018), Garmel (10-11-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    ...what's your point. the braves were a surprise to a lot of people (and things, like projections). informed and uninformed predictions were both surprised. that doesn't mean one is better off making uninformed predictions in the future. because the informed ones still tend to be right more often.
    it just makes no sense man.
    this may be an unfair summary of what he is saying but i'll give it a shot: since any projection system is going to be imperfect might as put in as little work and effort into it...or to extend the argument to another field...since every heart surgeon kills some of his patients might as well go with the cheapest most incompetent guy out there to do your bypass
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    since every heart surgeon kills some of his patients might as well go with the cheapest most incompetent guy out there to do your bypass
    well when you put it that way
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    this may be an unfair summary of what he is saying but i'll give it a shot: since any projection system is going to be imperfect might as put in as little work and effort into it...or to extend the argument to another field...since every heart surgeon kills some of his patients might as well go with the cheapest most incompetent guy out there to do your bypass
    To a point, absolutely.

If you continue to preach how much more intelligent you are because of the huge amount of numbers you worship and all that data doesn't lead you to better projections than us idiots, you might not be quite as smart as you think you are.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    To a point, absolutely.

If you continue to preach how much more intelligent you are because of the huge amount of numbers you worship and all that data doesn't lead you to better projections than us idiots, you might not be quite as smart as you think you are.
    actually yes, the diminishing return to striving for perfection kicks in at some point and makes efforts to further improve not worth it...if that is your point i agree...we all have to decide where we are on that "improvement curve"

"I am your retribution."

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    To a point, absolutely.

Once again you are completely missing the point. The method we use for determining wins and losses is correct. The inputs (projections) were just off which was universal for anyone talking about the Braves. That tends to happen when virtually everyone meets or surpasses their expectations.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

Jaw (10-11-2018)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Come on guys I love reading about hypothetical rosterbation. Can we keep this thread about that please?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Interesting question (for the fun of it)...

Assuming Newcomb were included in a Peralta deal and AA decided to bring Anibal back to fill that rotation slot (to be safe as well as for the depth), what does the offer need to be to make sure he doesn't go fishing elsewhere? 1/$10 million with a team option for 2020?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Interesting question (for the fun of it)...

Assuming Newcomb were included in a Peralta deal and AA decided to bring Anibal back to fill that rotation slot (to be safe as well as for the depth), what does the offer need to be to make sure he doesn't go fishing elsewhere? 1/$10 million with a team option for 2020?
    less than 10M

"I am your retribution."

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    less than 10M
    If so, that's going to be close to to good to pass on, no?

Would make him a pretty nice commodity to have, especially if Touki/Wright/Soroka step forward and are healthy.

Julio from a couple years ago without the extra commitment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    If so, that's going to be close to to good to pass on, no?

Would make him a pretty nice commodity to have, especially if Touki/Wright/Soroka step forward and are healthy.

Julio from a couple years ago without the extra commitment.
    Yes. I think there are some guys willing to re-up at club friendly prices. Sanchez and Suzuki. We should take advantage of the willingness to do that.

"I am your retribution."

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

clvclv (10-11-2018), Jaw (10-11-2018), jpx7 (10-11-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Yes. I think there are some guys willing to re-up at club friendly prices. Sanchez and Suzuki. We should take advantage of the willingness to do that.
    Maybe, unless we can clearly upgrade at those spots.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Maybe, unless we can clearly upgrade at those spots.
    Yeah. But it is important to look take into account cost. Grandal and Reamulto are upgrades but they may not be cost-effective upgrades.

"I am your retribution."

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

clvclv (10-11-2018), jpx7 (10-11-2018)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Bad contract for bad contract swap - Julio for Gardner?

No, I don't think Julio could handle the AL East (can't imagine anyone does), but adding him would allow them to non-tender Gray while getting rid of Gardner's salary in the event they are in on the Harper/Machado sweepstakes. It might also allow them to move on from C. C. and possibly bringing Happ back. Tanaka/Severino/Corbin/Happ/Teheran if they spent big in the rotation and on a bat. Adding Gardner would at least make sure that we're not choosing between guys like Tucker and company as your bench OF.
    Last edited by clvclv; 10-11-2018 at 11:03 AM.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    If the theory about being clsoe to acquiring Travis Shaw was correct, I wouldn't mind revisiting that. He's athletic enough to play 2B as well as 3B, so I'd assume he could be an option for LF. That would play if you believe Acuna can play RF. I'm not sure where we stand on that.

I think there's a chance that AA could look for versatile additions to cover against injuries and provide depth.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Chico For This Useful Post:

clvclv (10-11-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    If the theory about being clsoe to acquiring Travis Shaw was correct, I wouldn't mind revisiting that. He's athletic enough to play 2B as well as 3B, so I'd assume he could be an option for LF. That would play if you believe Acuna can play RF. I'm not sure where we stand on that.

I think there's a chance that AA could look for versatile additions to cover against injuries and provide depth.
    Shaw had 32 homers and an OPS of .825 last year, with a .242 BABIP. I like it.

ISO remained virtually unchanged from 2017, going from .240 to .239, despite a BABIP drop of 70 points* (.312 to .242.)

*I have no idea what ISO is or how BABIP affects it.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaw For This Useful Post:

clvclv (10-11-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    I think it’s beautiful allegory: even the divine grows lonely and must condescend to fraternize with its lessers.
    I've asked for a more intelligent section of the board to be created many times now. Many, many times.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    To a point, absolutely.

LOL...

Are you seriously trying to suggest I am wrong as often as you are?