Page 225 of 579 FirstFirst ... 125175215223224225226227235275325 ... LastLast
Results 4,481 to 4,500 of 11579

Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    I'll almost guarantee you the Braves weren't the only team the Astros outbid. There were probably half a dozen teams monitoring him and that price was too high for all of them. So it wasn't AA being cheap. There's a reason the league doesn't value Brantley that highly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    If there are more productive options we can get via trade, I'm glad we aren't using our money to buy worse production

Spring Training Invitee TheRunningAgent's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Johan Camargo is just not that far off from Michael Brantley. If you feel Camargo can handle right field, and he does have a great arm, then why not Camargo?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRunningAgent View Post
    Johan Camargo is just not that far off from Michael Brantley. If you feel Camargo can handle right field, and he does have a great arm, then why not Camargo?
    weakens your bench significantly. he's perfect for that role.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (12-18-2018), jpx7 (12-18-2018)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Because with Camargo on our bench we have an above average bench and depth, plus he provides us an opportunity to use him for exploiting platoon matchups. With him in the outfield we go back to having a horrific bench for a playoff caliber team.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    And the pozzy spin begins

Mac/Flowers isn’t that far off from Grandal, and Markakis is just as good as Brantley/Cutch!!
    Last edited by Enscheff; 12-18-2018 at 03:17 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    There's nothing to spin. It's not even Christmas yet

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Because as of now, AA's said he intends to use Camargo as the super-sub, not a full-time player.

There's no way to tell yet whether that's just what he's feeding DOB and Bowman, but that's the company line so far.

It's obvious that a big trade is a possibility (as has been mentioned multiple times by others), and there may very well be other things that have to happen before that big deal can be made. The worrisome thing about that is that two of the main teams we've talked about being the main possibilities for those - the Dodgers and Yankees are either not big fans of that monster contract splash (the Dodgers) and have had a pretty consistent history of not moving prospects they like unless they absolutely have to (both). The Yankees have continued to hold onto Frazier despite the fact he probably could've been moved at any time over the past couple years to upgrade their rotation, and it's not like they can't afford to hold onto Gray for depth and use him out of the pen if they want to.

Given the Yankees' current situation, it's not out of the question to assume Cashman might have told AA that a Frazier/Gray deal is there to be made the minute he agrees to part with Camargo and one of a number of arms - and AA just isn't willing to give up Camargo. Maybe the Dodgers have given him a handful of names they'd take in return for Pederson or Verdugo IF they sign Harper. Maybe he was close on Peralta but wanted to see what happened with the other two situations first and wasn't willing to give them Pache for him just yet. Who knows?

Given the fact that Ender's under control inexpensively and that you've got Waters, I'd circle back to Arizona and offer them Pache and Wilson for Peralta and Bradley. That fixes LF, keeps Camargo as the bench upgrade, and fixes the pen. Then you play the waiting game with the rotation. Maybe Folty, Newk, and Touki take another step forward, Fried and Soroka are healthy, and Gohara's weight loss and renewed focus lets him finally make the jump you've been hoping for. As has been talked about before, the rotation needs to be the last thing addressed - possibly not even until the deadline when you see how the kids advance and what rental arms are available.
    Last edited by clvclv; 12-18-2018 at 03:21 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    I think a lot teams valued Brantley less than Brantley valued himself. He signed for one less year at a lower AV than expected. I am certainly not panicking at this point but no matter how we spin it if we go into the season with neck or Jogun in LF then we failed this off season. He’ll get Dickerson and platoon him with Duvall if we have too.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    The homer in me really wants to believe that AA is waiting for the Harper/Pollock dust to settle and will scoop up a 3 win cOF for good value in January.

The realist in me fears we are on a collision course with a CarGo/Duvall platoon in LF.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    The homer in me really wants to believe that AA is waiting for the Harper/Pollock dust to settle and will scoop up a 3 win cOF for good value in January.

The realist in me fears we are on a collision course with a CarGo/Duvall platoon in LF.
    For all we know AA is doing his thing and has something possibly cooking with Harper... that's in the lowest .00005 % of possibilities but it's fun to think about. Crazy how quiet the Machado and Harper rumblings have been. Especially when Boras is involved and he usually leaks a million things

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    By trade?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    By trade?
    At this point the only avenue for acquiring a 3 win cOF is via trade. Puig if the Dodgers get Harper. Haniger if AA coughs up the prospects. Peralta if he’s platooned a bit. Frazier as a young player with upside.

All options that could present good value once the FA market shakes out a bit more.

I still say Gray/Frazier for Gohara seems like the most likely specific trade scenario, followed closely by CarGo as a specific FA scenario. If the Dodgers sign Harper I’ll take Puig as the most likely scenario.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 12-18-2018 at 03:43 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    For all we know AA is doing his thing and has something possibly cooking with Harper... that's in the lowest .00005 % of possibilities but it's fun to think about. Crazy how quiet the Machado and Harper rumblings have been. Especially when Boras is involved and he usually leaks a million things
    It is fun to think about as a fan. Liberty had AA leave the WM early and meet with them in Colorado and I don’t remember that happening before.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    Might as well trade for Kyle Tucker and Realmuto

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    I think a likely scenario is dumping Julio and his salary.

May not have found a lot of interest though
    Ivermectin Man

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    At this point the only avenue for acquiring a 3 win cOF is via trade. Puig if the Dodgers get Harper. Haniger if AA coughs up the prospects. Peralta if he’s platooned a bit. Frazier as a young player with upside.

All options that could present good value once the FA market shakes out a bit more.

I still say Gray/Frazier for Gohara seems like the most likely specific trade scenario, followed closely by CarGo as a specific FA scenario. If the Dodgers sign Harper I’ll take Puig as the most likely scenario.
    I think the Rangers have been underdiscussed as trade partners. I would HATE a trade for Mazara, but I could totally see something like that happening. But if we swung a deal for Gallo, I could get behind that.

Spring Training Invitee TheRunningAgent's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

Mac/Flowers isn’t that far off from Grandal, and Markakis is just as good as Brantley/Cutch!!

I’m not spinning anything. The point is that people are panicking because we didn’t sign Brantley and Camargo for one year until Pache is ready is just not that bad of a move. We would need to pick up another player for the bench but should be cheaper than the Brantley deal. I’m just having conversation, not spinning. If it were up to me, I would sign Harper and be done with it.

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    And he can play 1B. Good move for him and the Astro's. Saves us $15 per for someone else.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    599 Posts
    I’m not spinning anything. The point is that people are panicking because we didn’t sign Brantley and Camargo for one year until Pache is ready is just not that bad of a move. We would need to pick up another player for the bench but should be cheaper than the Brantley deal. I’m just having conversation, not spinning. If it were up to me, I would sign Harper and be done with it.
    we don't have the money for this....right??

If we did, and after what happened to the Angels with Pujols- just one example- I wouldn't do it for any reason. Whoever does is dead meat in a few years--BUT if we did, I'd move Dansby and whatever they wanted for Haniger - literally whatever they wanted- and sign Machado. Then dump everything left on Kluber. Go win the WS a couple of times and suck for a decade.

Good thing I am not GM.