Page 235 of 579 FirstFirst ... 135185225233234235236237245285335 ... LastLast
Results 4,681 to 4,700 of 11579

Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Did you even read the post before trying to climb my *ss? You keep whining about reading comprehension, how did you misunderstand...

"He actually didn't say we were "in on him" - it was one of those "we've all been told that they've got more money than they've spent, and from some reports I've read - significantly more money - so I'm not ready to rule it out" deals."

He did mention (as someone pointed out earlier) that he thinks that Harper and Freeman have become "buddies" for what that's worth, and said that Bryce "loves Atlanta" - although I have no clue where he's been told that since he didn't say that came directly from Harper.

As for your specific "we are still in the running", absolutely. Atlanta and 29 other teams until he signs.
    Your bolded junk didn't help you at all... here's the long and short of it ole clv... here's your quote... "he actually didn't say we were 'in on him'"

Here's Frenchy's direct quote "we are still in the running"

What exactly are you trying to prove here? Do you read anything you write or anything you reply to? No one at all said he's an actual source... you've been doing an even better job of making a fool of yourself than usual lately and that's saying a lot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    I doubt we see much of anything happen until after New Years. We're rapidly approaching the point where people around baseball will be leaving for Christmas and the week between Christmas and New Year is usually pretty dead. Lots of people in the game take vacations that week.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I would say the most realistic winter acquisitions here are:

Pollock -- Braves were not willing to go 16 AAV on Brantley or Cutcheon. Pollock expected to exceed both in years in AAV. Draft pick attached as well and injury prone. This doesn't feel likely.

Merrifield -- Not an ideal fit as a LF, but versatile as hell and his OBP would seem to be a fit somewhere. Royals should be happy with what the Braves could offer, but the question is whether they are realistic about his trade value. If they value him like a breakout 5 WAR guy with lots of control, this deal does not make sense for Atlanta. If they are more realistic, it could be workable.

Peralta - Diamondbacks should be happy with what Braves have and don't have much incentive to keep him. But Braves did not like the price when they checked in. Watch him though.

Puig - you didn't mention him, but I don't think the Braves match up particularly well with the Dodgers as far as the return for the other guys. Seems like they would want something that upgraded the MLB team and it's difficult to see the Braves parting with the assets that would do that for them. But maybe the Dodgers would be happy to shed Puig's salary and take on a longer term asset in something of a dump.

Frazier - Yankees don't really have a spot for him, though I suppose they could hold him and move Gardiner. For either, they might be willing to take controllable pitching that could help their pen.

In-Season Deadline:

Corey Dickerson seems pretty obviously destined to move. The Pirates are not going to be in it. I could see them make this move in the winter, but don't see any obvious options for replacing him. I think the Pirates don't want to concede after making those odd moves at last year's deadline.

Sterling Marte - but when they do, might as well move Marte and/or Polonco if the market is right.

Ozuna - I consider him a long shot to be available, but if Cards fall out of it, they might see some reorganizing trades as something to do. Goldy, Carpenter, and maybe Ozuna might fit into that. But Ozuna's deal is pretty good and the Cards probably aren't going to be looking at full tear down.

The Cardinals never seem to go into full rebuild mode, so I doubt there's any possibility of them moving Ozuna unless they are totally blown away by an offer. Jose Martinez is a more likely guy to be moved in my opinion.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    Here's my somewhat realistic, depending on moves made by us and other teams list of outfielders I could see happening. It's listed by projected WAR, although Frazier's is schewed as they don't have him getting any at bats in that outfield.

Marcell Ozuna 3.7 (This would depend on them going after a big name and needing to clear payroll and a job)
    Starling Marte 3.4 (Hard to see this happening because of his value to them while Polanco is out)
    AJ Pollock 3.1 (Possible, pending years)
    Mitch Haniger 3 (Possible, pending prospect capital)
    Travis Shaw 2.8 (would depend on who they acquire, but I think they had him on the block at the deadline, also think he could play LF for a season and mvoe to 3B when Donaldson leaves)
    Joc Pederson 2.7 (very reasonable acquisition)
    Max Kepler 2.7 (GM has been making value moves, so he may be holding on to Max seeing the breakout possibility)
    Whit Merrifield 2.7 (Dayton should trade him. He's an idiot if he holds on to him)
    David Peralta 2.6 (Should also be traded and a likely acquisition)
    Chris Taylor 2.4 (If available, would be a good addition)
    Corey Dickerson 2 (not much of an upgrade, but he'd be in his contract year where he could miraculously have a career year)
    Ian Happ 1.5 (I'd really like Happ, but with the Russell situation they may keep him for his versatility. Would be a great buy low situation though)
    Clint Frazier 0.2 (I'd like Frazier, but more as a replacement for Duvall teamed up with a guy like Joc and not the answer to LF)
    This is a pretty good list. A couple additions to complete it:

Yasiel Puig 3.1 (will be available if the Dodgers get Harper. May be available anyways. Fits the low risk 1 year commitment AA has favored lately)
    Carlos Gonzalez 1.3 (a likely fallback option that could be viewed as a higher upside play than Markakis, platooned with Duvall)
    Nick Markakis 1.2 (the fallback option we all feared would come into play)

If the Dodgers get Harper I would place my money on AA getting Puig. Otherwise, I'm putting my money on a Gray/Frazier package from the Yankees (though I don't want Gray). I consider Peralta platooned with Duvall the bare minimum acceptable solution for LF, and see it as the other most likely good scenario. The most likely worst case scenario is CarGo/Markakis in LF with Duvall...who was kept for a reason.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (12-20-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    This is a pretty good list. A couple additions to complete it:

Yasiel Puig 3.1 (will be available if the Dodgers get Harper. May be available anyways. Fits the low risk 1 year commitment AA has favored lately)
    Carlos Gonzalez 1.3 (a likely fallback option that could be viewed as a higher upside play than Markakis, platooned with Duvall)
    Nick Markakis 1.2 (the fallback option we all feared would come into play)

If the Dodgers get Harper I would place my money on AA getting Puig. Otherwise, I'm putting my money on a Gray/Frazier package from the Yankees (though I don't want Gray). I consider Peralta platooned with Duvall the bare minimum acceptable solution for LF, and see it as the other most likely good scenario. The most likely worst case scenario is CarGo/Markakis in LF with Duvall...who was kept for a reason.

I'm not that low on Markakis as a placeholder. I think it's a fallback rather than worst case. Just so long as there is no major commitment there. Braves could then wait to see how the trade market develops as teams fall out. Or they could choose to sell themselves if circumstances warrant it.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Planning for all eventualties, Braves would need to consider moving the following if they fell out of contention:

Josh Donaldson
    Darren O'Day
    Kevin Gausman
    Arodys Vizcaino
    Ender Inciarte
    Julio Teheran
    Tyler Flowers
    Johnny Venters
    Charlie Culberson

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Planning for all eventualties, Braves would need to consider moving the following if they fell out of contention:

Josh Donaldson
    Darren O'Day
    Kevin Gausman
    Arodys Vizcaino
    Ender Inciarte
    Julio Teheran
    Tyler Flowers
    Johnny Venters
    Charlie Culberson
    If they fall out, they need to be open on Freeman. You are talking about last 1/3 of 2019 then 20 and 21. I'm not saying you trade him for salary relief (although that's not insignificant). I'm saying that if you can get the right deal, you pull the trigger. Smart teams do it. Look what the Yanks got for 1/2 season of Chapman. If things align right, then the Braves might get 2-3 future stars back for a guy moving past his prime and into the twilight of his contract.

I don't think they will do it because it would take guts to make a move like that.

But, if the Braves fall out of contention in 2019, then it is likely due to starvation of talent acquired during the 18-19 offseason which means that the Braves have fallen into the in-between of not being able to achieve critical mass and become a real NL East threat outside of occasional one-offs.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Horsehide Harry For This Useful Post:

Southcack77 (12-20-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    I see Braves 2018 as a bit like Astros 2015. These things don't necessarily go in a straight line. Astros 2016 didn't make the playoffs, finishing 11 games back in their division.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

DirkPiggler (12-20-2018), jpx7 (12-20-2018)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    If they fall out, they need to be open on Freeman. You are talking about last 1/3 of 2019 then 20 and 21. I'm not saying you trade him for salary relief (although that's not insignificant). I'm saying that if you can get the right deal, you pull the trigger. Smart teams do it. Look what the Yanks got for 1/2 season of Chapman. If things align right, then the Braves might get 2-3 future stars back for a guy moving past his prime and into the twilight of his contract.

I don't think they will do it because it would take guts to make a move like that.

But, if the Braves fall out of contention in 2019, then it is likely due to starvation of talent acquired during the 18-19 offseason which means that the Braves have fallen into the in-between of not being able to achieve critical mass and become a real NL East threat outside of occasional one-offs.
    You've clearly picked this hill to die upon. Props to you for sticking to your guns, I guess.

There are lots of possible reasons why the team might not contend next year that wouldn't preclude them from competing in 2020-2021. Injuries, underperformance by the guys on short-term deals, the other teams just being better than we thought, all could be possible reasons for a one-year step back. All seem much more likely than a starvation of talent on next year's team as potential causes for underachieving.

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,269 Posts
    Harry's Cato the Elder thing with trading Freeman is the kind of board constant that reminds us that, even when the world appears chaotic and unpredictable, there truly are some forces for stability and consistency.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MadduxFanII For This Useful Post:

bravesfanMatt (12-20-2018), DirkPiggler (12-20-2018), JohnAdcox (12-20-2018), jpx7 (12-20-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    Harry's Cato the Elder thing with trading Freeman is the kind of board constant that reminds us that, even when the world appears chaotic and unpredictable, there truly are some forces for stability and consistency.
    cosmological constant of chop country
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts

jesus christ
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I see Braves 2018 as a bit like Astros 2015. These things don't necessarily go in a straight line. Astros 2016 didn't make the playoffs, finishing 11 games back in their division.
    I thought of that comparison too.

Spring Training Invitee TheRunningAgent's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    jesus christ
    ✝️

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    What would a FF for Dickey trade look like?

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

Freshmaker (12-20-2018), JohnAdcox (12-20-2018), The Chosen One (12-20-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts

Dude. Stop. It's not happening.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts

Like a tiger in the brush. You waited for your moment and struck with great force and swiftness. Cudos
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts

Freeman definitely boned this dudes gal
    Ivermectin Man

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

bravesfanMatt (12-20-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    What would a FF for Dickey trade look like?
    A Dickey trade? If that were to happen, I think AA would have prematurely shot his wad on what was supposed to be a dry run, if you will. And then he'd have something of a mess on his hands.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts

Yes, I needed this take today.