Page 241 of 579 FirstFirst ... 141191231239240241242243251291341 ... LastLast
Results 4,801 to 4,820 of 11579

Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Passan - "The trade of Jurickson Profar from Texas to Oakland is part of a three-way deal that includes the Tampa Bay Rays, league sources tell Yahoo Sports. The A’s will send prospect Eli White to the Rangers and the 38th overall pick in the 2019 draft, plus RP Emilio Pagan, to TB. The Rays will send lefty Brock Burke, a favorite among scouts, to Texas. At least three other minor leaguers are involved, sources tell Yahoo Sports, but the core deal: Jurickson Profar to the A’s, Brock Burke and Eli White to the Rangers, 38th pick and Emilio Pagan to the Rays."

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by devilsbballfan View Post
    Passan - "The trade of Jurickson Profar from Texas to Oakland is part of a three-way deal that includes the Tampa Bay Rays, league sources tell Yahoo Sports. The A’s will send prospect Eli White to the Rangers and the 38th overall pick in the 2019 draft, plus RP Emilio Pagan, to TB. The Rays will send lefty Brock Burke, a favorite among scouts, to Texas. At least three other minor leaguers are involved, sources tell Yahoo Sports, but the core deal: Jurickson Profar to the A’s, Brock Burke and Eli White to the Rangers, 38th pick and Emilio Pagan to the Rays."
    Bit of a letdown - thought this one had the chance of being pretty big.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Wonder if Jed Lowrie could play some LF?
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Profar finally put it together last year. He's not 26 yet so he could have some real big seasons in him. Burke looks like a good prospect but idk what his stuff is like. i guess the A's plan to put profar at 2B. i like the deal for all teams really.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Arbitration Eligible Freshmaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    521 Posts

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    I really would have liked to explore a deal for Profar at that price point. He could have helped us out a good bit, but with us signing Donaldson and shifting Camargo to the bench perhaps they felt that Profar would have been redundant. I think Profar could have definitely played some outfield for us, though. He has 210 innings out there and pretty good SSS metrics out there.

Oh well.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    Profar finally put it together last year. He's not 26 yet so he could have some real big seasons in him. Burke looks like a good prospect but idk what his stuff is like. i guess the A's plan to put profar at 2B. i like the deal for all teams really.
    I love this deal for the A's. I think Profar is going to continue to improve and will have some positive regression next year, after a .269 BABIP last year. I think he's a solid bet to be a consistent 3 win player with tremendous versatility.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    The time to pursue JP was last offseason
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    The time to pursue JP was last offseason
    his value was super low. either they weren't going to sell low or you had to predict he would finally break out.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    I love this deal for the A's. I think Profar is going to continue to improve and will have some positive regression next year, after a .269 BABIP last year. I think he's a solid bet to be a consistent 3 win player with tremendous versatility.
    yeah i think he could continue to improve. crazy how young he still is.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    93 Posts
    Let's sign Brian Dozier and just have him play the OF. Otherwise watch him sign with the Nats and rebound with a 4 WAR season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts
    I think the realmuto and sonny gray/Frazier trades are gonna happen. Figure we'll give Riley and a pitcher for realmuto. What will we likely have to give up for gray/Frazier?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I think the realmuto and sonny gray/Frazier trades are gonna happen. Figure we'll give Riley and a pitcher for realmuto. What will we likely have to give up for gray/Frazier?
    Newk, Riley, Flowers for JTR. Marlins get the MLB ready players they want so they can waste them on a losing team.

Gohara for Gray/Frazier. If not Gohara then other pitching the Yankees will magically make throw 5 mph harder and turn into a weapon. Watch Allard throw 95 in pinstripes.

I don’t really want to see the Braves get Gray, but all signs point to a SP acquisition.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 12-21-2018 at 12:46 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-21-2018)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    I don’t see Gray being any better than a Gohora type, and with only one year of control for Gray...it’s would make me sick if he put it together.

I would be ok with Allard...that’s about it.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to TheBravos For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-21-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Not sure there's a reason to until Cashman gets his heart right about Frazier and/or Gray. Like with Julio, everybody else realizes Frazier and Gray are overkill for them. It's not that they won't be upgrades for other teams, but enough of an upgrade to move controllable pieces that create holes?

I don't think giving up Newk/Fried/Gohara is as much the concern for AA as the other piece is. If that piece is Camargo, things get tough. Instead of looking at it as players for players (Frazier for Camargo for that half of the deal), is Gray really worth that many years of those guys?
    Your talent/value evaluations are beyond comprehension. There is no way we would even consider a Newk, Fried, or Gohara + Camargo in a trade for Gray (who has at best 10 million in surplus value) and Frazier (20-30 million in surplus value).

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Your talent/value evaluations are beyond comprehension. There is no way we would even consider a Newk, Fried, or Gohara + Camargo in a trade for Gray (who has at best 10 million in surplus value) and Frazier (20-30 million in surplus value).
    Agreed. I don’t get the Gray love. He’s kinda like Julio. He might have better stuff, but he’s still that type of pitcher to me. He’s in a contract year, so that helps performance I guess. Touki, Gohora, Wilson and probably even Fried all have better stuff and are cheaper.

If we can get a true TOR...great. We have plenty of young guys that can perform in that 3-5 range. We already have Gausman, Newk Folty for the 2-3 range. If you aren’t adding at least a 2....it just doesn’t matter. Stroman would be a better get with two years of control.

AA is all about value and control. For now...Gray doesn’t really have either unless the asking price comes way down. Let the Yankees sit on Gray. They can enjoy that all day long.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    It's not even about wanting/not wanting Gray. I'm fine with trading for Gray, if the cost is reasonable. But there is zero chance we would even consider Camargo in any trade involving Frazier/Gray, and I doubt NY would even be brave enough to ask for such a package, lest they be laughed off the phone.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    The point was made that the Yankees were hoping for more discussion from us. Newk/Fried/Gohara are the left-handed pitching prospects you know Cashman's angling for.

I never once offered an effort to measure anything by the charts - everyone else is going to do that, and that's fine. The reports say Cashman is looking for a legitimate return for Gray, and he's constantly overvalued Frazier in trade talks since they have absolutely no use for him. The statement I made was that I don't think AA has any particular problem giving up some of the SPs. Most reports continue to tie us to Gray (much moreso than Frazier), and the point was that offering those types of talent up for one year of a shot in the dark like Gray is pretty ridiculous no matter what the precious charts say.

Since we don't know what these GMs have been tasked with by their ownership, using the charts is only helpful part of the time - and those discussions are great - but I've never been interested in being the one trying to set some arbitrary value on prospects. They don't need Gray and/or Frazier, we don't need all these arms - slice it up whatever way makes you happy. It's always funny to read the posts trashing Dipoto for not following those precious charts to the letter. He was interviewed earlier today and admitted he was specifically tasked with slashing future payroll this winter and mentioned that the moves he's made have already saved the Mariners over $100 million so far. You think their ownership isn't happy???

Play the surplus value games all you like - those numbers have a way of being wrong as often as they're right. Those prospects have to find their way onto an MLB roster before they can start accumulating WAR, and every year you hang onto them and tuck them away in AAA is just one less year they have a chance to do that. The depth is always something worth striving for, but if it causes you to have guys like Markakis or CarGo hitting in the middle of your lineup and playing LF instead of someone like Frazier/Peralta or several others while Fried and Gohara hang out in Gwinnett or the pen you're not going very far.

14 straight division titles is absolutely great - 1 Championship over that period makes you the butt of jokes. If the vaunted Cubs and Astros don't start making a few more win-now moves soon, they (and their fans) are going to get to know just what that feels like to a point.
    Last edited by clvclv; 12-21-2018 at 02:14 PM.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    The point was made that the Yankees were hoping for more discussion from us. Newk/Fried/Gohara are the left-handed pitching prospects you know Cashman's angling for.

I never once offered an effort to measure anything by the charts - everyone else is going to do that, and that's fine. The reports say Cashman is looking for a legitimate return for Gray, and he's constantly overvalued Frazier in trade talks since they have absolutely no use for him. The statement I made was that I don't think AA has any particular problem giving up some of the SPs. Most reports continue to tie us to Gray (much moreso than Frazier), and the point was that offering those types of talent up for one year of a shot in the dark like Gray is pretty ridiculous no matter what the precious charts say.

Since we don't know what these GMs have been tasked with by their ownership, using the charts is only helpful part of the time - and those discussions are great - but I've never been interested in being the one trying to set some arbitrary value on prospects. They don't need Gray and/or Frazier, we don't need all these arms - slice it up whatever way makes you happy. It's always funny to read the posts trashing Dipoto for not following those precious charts to the letter. He was interviewed earlier today and admitted he was specifically tasked with slashing future payroll this winter and mentioned that the moves he's made have already saved the Mariners over $100 million so far. You think their ownership isn't happy???

Play the surplus value games all you like - those numbers have a way of being wrong as often as they're right. Those prospects have to find their way onto an MLB roster before they can start accumulating WAR, and every year you hang onto them and tuck them away in AAA is just one less year they have a chance to do that. The depth is always something worth striving for, but if it causes you to have guys like Markakis or CarGo hitting in the middle of your lineup and playing LF instead of someone like Frazier/Peralta or several others while Fried and Gohara hang out in Gwinnett or the pen you're not going very far.

14 straight division titles is absolutely great - 1 Championship over that period makes you the butt of jokes. If the vaunted Cubs and Astros don't start making a few more win-now moves soon, they (and their fans) are going to get to know just what that feels like to a point.
    Here is the bottom line. If Gray was that great of a pitcher that could help a team to a WS....cashman would NEVER trade him. He’s just trying to find some sucker out there to minimize his mistake.

I wouldn’t give much more than a 2nd tier prospect for Gray. Cashman is in the same boat with him as we are with Julio, except he traded for Gray and we should have traded Julio.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to TheBravos For This Useful Post:

clvclv (12-21-2018)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Clv. Not trying to be rude but you need to get a Pictionary timer and flip it when you start typing. Then stop when it is done. Your posts are always so long that I find myself skipping over it and thus not getting your point across like you want.
    Coppy

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

clvclv (12-21-2018), Super (12-21-2018)