Results 5,521 to 5,540 of 11579

Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    i think a lot of teams may not see it this way after looking further into the numbers
    Even if he regressed to 2017 levels, that's perfectly acceptable as a back of the rotation pitcher.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    The White Sox have issued a formal offer to Machado, have not done so with Harper
    Get off my lawn!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    Craig Mish on his podcast today:

"I only put out information that I know, and I have a strong track record...."

"Braves are as good of a fit as any team in all of baseball. The notion of McCann catching 90-100 games, I don't see that happening. There has been no team as interested in JTR as Atlanta."

"The Marlins have had a few players requested to the Braves and vice versa. Austin Riley, Soroka, Newcomb, are names that have all been mentioned among different variations...most recently, the Marlins are still interested in Austin Riley and Ian Anderson plus a 3rd piece. Has heard Ender Inciartes' name mentioned. Doesn't think Atlanta is interested in that deal."
    Get off my lawn!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanforlife88 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (01-04-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post

"Braves are as good of a fit as any team in all of baseball. The notion of McCann catching 90-100 games, I don't see that happening. There has been no team as interested in JTR as Atlanta."

"The Marlins have had a few players requested to the Braves and vice versa. Austin Riley, Soroka, Newcomb, are names that have all been mentioned among different variations...most recently, the Marlins are still interested in Austin Riley and Ian Anderson plus a 3rd piece. Has heard Ender Inciartes' name mentioned. Doesn't think Atlanta is interested in that deal."
    I'm not interested in that deal

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (01-04-2019), jpx7 (01-03-2019)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Possibly one less suitor for Kimbrel
    Not like the Braves are interested in Kimbrel.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    Dude got 23 million for two years. lmao. That's awful value for Atlanta.
    Thats honestly not that bad of a deal.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Cell View Post
    Wish we would have gotten him but now the Phillies probably dont go after Craig Kimbrel.

Which means him signing in ATL keeps getting more likely .
    If Philly doesnt sign Machado or Harper, i could see them offer the brink trucks to Kimbrel. Braves arent going after Kimbrel, bad use of resources.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts

I'm interested in getting JTR, thats a bit too much to my liking. Anderson/Riley plus.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (01-04-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    I'm interested in getting JTR, thats a bit too much to my liking. Anderson/Riley plus.
    I would consider Riley and Anderson, but Mish said that he has heard Inciarte or Pache as names mentioned as well...I would not do that deal.

Outside the box idea, we heard that the Braves recently were involved in talks in a 3 team deal involving Profar and Sonny Gray before Profar was traded. I could see a 3 team deal where the Yankees, Braves, and Marlins are all involved....

Braves get: JTR and Sonny Gray
    Marlins get: Riley, Anderson, Yankees prospect
    Yankees get: Maybe someone like Gohara.

That would be expensive, but would bring us arguably the best catcher in baseball, and possibly a solid rotation piece.
    Get off my lawn!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanforlife88 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (01-04-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    Link

This is Bowman's most recent article about the Braves search for an outfielder. Sounds like nothing close, and to me sounds like Markakis is the most likely option...Basically goes over all the negatives of every player he mentions.
    Get off my lawn!

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    So probably the only reason the braves don’t have JTR is because Jeter is an idiot. I disagree with Mish. I think Mac can catch 80ish games. I wonder if we do get him if we still try to trade Flo.
    Coppy

Lynchburg Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    If Philly doesnt sign Machado or Harper, i could see them offer the brink trucks to Kimbrel. Braves arent going after Kimbrel, bad use of resources.

WEEI's Rob Bradford writes that the market for Craig Kimbrel "would seem to be down to the Red Sox, Philadelphia, and maybe Atlanta."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    So probably the only reason the braves don’t have JTR is because Jeter is an idiot. I disagree with Mish. I think Mac can catch 80ish games. I wonder if we do get him if we still try to trade Flo.
    If we do get him I think we turn around and trade Flowers to Oakland in a salary dump, possibly with Teheran.
    Get off my lawn!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts

Newk/Soroka/Anderson plus Riley lines up pretty well with JTR's value, but only if that 3rd piece is a throw in.

I know the Braves are bound to unload some young pitching at some point, and Riley plus an arm matches up pretty well in terms of value, but I would much prefer to send Newk to the Marlins rather than someone like Soroka or Anderson.

Including Inciarte makes zero sense for a team that can't even fill the OF with competent MLB players as things currently stand.

Trade Riley plus Newk plus filler for JTR.
    Trade for Gray, maybe Frazier too while dumping Duvall.
    Sign Markakis or CarGo to compliment Frazier or Duvall.

That could be a realistic scenario for the rest of the offseason and would put the payroll right around $125M (assuming Flowers goes).
    Last edited by Enscheff; 01-03-2019 at 04:50 PM.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Mentioned trade for JTR would be absolutely horrible. Surely AA wouldn't be THAT dumb. Riley I can see. Anderson is the best Braves pitching prospect with the highest upside. I could see parting with him for Hanniger but not JTR and certainly not as part of the package floated. And Inciarte has less value (2.9fWAR x 4 = 11.6 fWAR) than JTR (4.8fWAR x 3= 14.4fWAR) but not a ton less and Inciarte is on a fixed contract while JTR is in the arbitration process. In 2019 you're probably looking at Inciarte/JTR making $5/$6M, then 2020, assuming JTR continues as a 4.8fWAR guy, then $7M/$12M, then 2021 $8M/$15M then you lose JTR in FA but have a $9M club option on Inciarte. You're getting a projected 8.7fWAR out of Inciarte for $20M (by contract) or a projected 14.4fWAR out of JTR for an arbitration driven $33M, then you get another 2.9fWAR for $9M from Inciarte in 2022. (Quick estimate) JTR probably has an additional $25M in prospect value over Inciarte straight up.

An Inciarte, Riley and Anderson would be close to Dave Stewart level bad.

I'm not against trading Inciarte (I actually think they should given the right return from a team such as the Reds or Indians) but throwing him in to get Realmuto is just dumb to me, especially with Grandal still out there AND the volatility of the catching position.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Horsehide Harry For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (01-04-2019), jpx7 (01-03-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    Bowman on Braves Clubhouse Report: Was asked if he feels comfortable going into Spring Training with both Flowers and Mac as catcher. Can those 2 guys add up to 162 games....His response says that he doesn't think so, thinks we need to get another catcher in house, but need to do so via Gwinnett who could catch 20-25 games.

Says the Marlins have bungled the JTR situation and doesn't know what we will do.
    Get off my lawn!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanforlife88 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (01-04-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    Mentioned trade for JTR would be absolutely horrible. Surely AA wouldn't be THAT dumb. Riley I can see. Anderson is the best Braves pitching prospect with the highest upside. I could see parting with him for Hanniger but not JTR and certainly not as part of the package floated. And Inciarte has less value (2.9fWAR x 4 = 11.6 fWAR) than JTR (4.8fWAR x 3= 14.4fWAR) but not a ton less and Inciarte is on a fixed contract while JTR is in the arbitration process. In 2019 you're probably looking at Inciarte/JTR making $5/$6M, then 2020, assuming JTR continues as a 4.8fWAR guy, then $7M/$12M, then 2021 $8M/$15M then you lose JTR in FA but have a $9M club option on Inciarte. You're getting a projected 8.7fWAR out of Inciarte for $20M (by contract) or a projected 14.4fWAR out of JTR for an arbitration driven $33M, then you get another 2.9fWAR for $9M from Inciarte in 2022. (Quick estimate) JTR probably has an additional $25M in prospect value over Inciarte straight up.

I'm not against trading Inciarte (I actually think they should given the right return from a team such as the Reds or Indians) but throwing him in to get Realmuto is just dumb to me, especially with Grandal still out there AND the volatility of the catching position.
    Grandal likely costs too much for our budget with the holes still remaining. JT hasn't been volatile and he's just starting his prime. He is a legit middle of the order hitter who is significantly better away from his awful home part. With enough data to suggest it's not a fluke. He would completely transform our lineup. Is financially cheap and bridges the gap and let's Contreras develop at a comfortable pace. I don't see how the move would be dumb at all if the trade value we give up is fair. Really hate to see Anderson included because I like him and Touki the best of our pitching prospects but I'd still do Riley and him plus other small parts for JTR or Haniger but I'd still try and steer them towards a Wilson, etc...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post

In lieu of Inciarte, would a Freeman, Riley, and Anderson offer make more sense to you?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Bowman on Braves Clubhouse Report: Was asked if he feels comfortable going into Spring Training with both Flowers and Mac as catcher. Can those 2 guys add up to 162 games....His response says that he doesn't think so, thinks we need to get another catcher in house, but need to do so via Gwinnett who could catch 20-25 games.

Says the Marlins have bungled the JTR situation and doesn't know what we will do.
    It is pretty standard for the AAA catcher to log some games in the majors. Last season we gave Carlos Perez seven starts and Chris Stewart four starts. Always a good idea to have a guy with some major league experience in AAA. We picked up Raffy Lopez earlier this off-season and will probably sign another catcher for AAA.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    It is pretty standard for the AAA catcher to log some games in the majors. Last season we gave Carlos Perez seven starts and Chris Stewart four starts. Always a good idea to have a guy with some major league experience in AAA. We picked up Raffy Lopez earlier this off-season and will probably sign another catcher for AAA.
    Yeah even if we don't make any more additions I expect Flowers and McCann to get ~70 starts a piece and have the other games filled in by AAAA guys like Raffy. I was not a fan of the McCann deal when it happened, but now that he is here I don't think we should have any urgency about catcher this offseason. At least not until after we've addressed corner outfield.