Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    which is why markakis was re-signed
    This can't be a serious post....

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Well, maybe the club shouldn’t have traded everyone else that was good and then screwed around with trading him.

NL Rookie of the Year CrazyTrain's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Sure if you want to be an asshole about it.

The fact remains that for pitchers with at least 1000 career innings Mo is first in FIP Minus at 62 and first in ERA Minus at 49 in the history of the game. Arguments can be made that elite starters like Clemens, Johnson, Pedro, Kershaw, etc could be better if they were to be able to go all out for 1 inning but as is Rivera is the best pitcher ever on a per inning basis.
    Arguments can be made? Really? So, if you're redrafting today... you're taking Mo over those dudes?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,852 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyTrain View Post
    Arguments can be made? Really? So, if you're redrafting today... you're taking Mo over those dudes?
    No. Clearly he's not as valuable. But on a per inning basis he's statistically the best ever. That is a fact.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Mariano being the first unanimous guy just seems like an anti-climax. Very unsatisfying result and he's frankly not deserving of holding that distinction.

Very strange that it was a reliever of all things.

I would like to know who the no voters were on Greg Maddux, Randy Johnson and when I think of a comparable modern hitter, that guy, and understand the distinction here.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-24-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Mariano being the first unanimous guy just seems like an anti-climax. Very unsatisfying result and he's frankly not deserving of holding that distinction.

Very strange that it was a reliever of all things.

I would like to know who the no voters were on Greg Maddux, Randy Johnson and when I think of a comparable modern hitter, that guy, and understand the distinction here.
    again, i think it has more to do with changing tides/attitudes among newer voters than all the same guys suddenly feeling Rivera was the first deserving unanimous.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    again, i think it has more to do with changing tides/attitudes among newer voters than all the same guys suddenly feeling Rivera was the first deserving unanimous.
    Did the guys who voted against Greg Maddux die?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,728 Posts
    Mariano shouldnt have even got 1 vote. He never did anything on a legitimate team.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Well, maybe the club shouldn’t have traded everyone else that was good and then screwed around with trading him.
    The complaints about Realmuto's situation have ONLY come from his representation or teams/fans of teams who want to trade for him. Those complaints are usually both self-serving and short-sighted.

Not only do the Marlins not owe him a trade, they don't owe him an explanation of their plans for the franchise either - and they certainly don't owe him a trade to the city of his choice. He's an employee, and a handsomely-paid one at that. He's going to make almost $6 million this year no matter where he plays and lives, and expecting anything more than that when you've publicly expressed that you don't want to have anything to do with the organization is ridiculous.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    I don't disagree, but just seems like they settled on who that guy would be. Granted, I don't see any world beaters coming down the pipe for the HOF in the short term, except Jeter, who is WILDLY overrated in his own right.... probably more so than Rivera, that could've been the one. It's sad when you look at guys in his general bWAR vicinity like Larry Walker, Schilling and Scott Rolen that are struggling to get votes and he'll be the next unanimous guy. Makes me sick.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    The complaints about Realmuto's situation have ONLY come from his representation or teams/fans of teams who want to trade for him. Those complaints are usually both self-serving and short-sighted.

Not only do the Marlins not owe him a trade, they don't owe him an explanation of their plans for the franchise either - and they certainly don't owe him a trade to the city of his choice. He's an employee, and a handsomely-paid one at that. He's going to make almost $6 million this year no matter where he plays and lives, and expecting anything more than that when you've publicly expressed that you don't want to have anything to do with the organization is ridiculous.

If the Marlins owe him nothing more than a paycheck then all he owes the Marlins is showing up for work and collecting it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworm View Post
    Wouldn’t it have been a much smarter move for future revenue and on field performance to wait on signing JD and see if the market wasn’t as strong for Harper and Machodo as they thought, and then offered one of them a 1-2 year deal at 30-40 million per and went with one of them plus Camargo playing 3rd instead of JD,Neck and whatever else they add with the supposedly 10-15 million leftover?
    It may be a moot point if they end up signing a monster long term deal soon but sure seems like the owners aren’t into that anymore and the opportunity was there to try something like that.
    They jumped on the price for JD when he agreed because he's actually been better than both Machado and Harper the past 5 years, even when missing nearly a full year. If healthy (and he looked pretty damn healthy to me with Cleveland and the physical came back fine) he could easily put up a better 2019 than either player at possibly close to half the price... so many of you are down playing just how good at baseball JD is. If he stays healthy, he will be a better overall player than Manny Hustle or Harper and will compete for NL MVP

14. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-24-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    How do you figure?

This is the second straight year he's done everything in his power to force a trade short of demanding one or not reporting. His agent has consistently put public pressure on the organization in the press, saying "I don't think he'll be with the team come Opening Day" and "he will not sign an extension under any circumstances".

This does nothing but put them at a further disadvantage when trying to get some value in return - that certainly doesn't scream "good soldier". If he wanted to move things along, it'd be a *elluva lot smarter to come out and say he'd consider signing an extension if he's traded - at least giving other teams the feeling that an overpay might be warranted.
    Because even though he wants out he still shows up and puts 150% every day and plays his ass off. Pushing for a trade because you don't want to be somewhere is perfectly fine. And it's an agents job to seek his clients happiness... not wanting to be there and still putting up fantastic numbers and playing your ass off anyway is certainly a good soldier mentality... but clv gonna argue any dumb thing he wants to

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,852 Posts
    Maybe?

I do know they have implemented a rule recently where if you haven't covered baseball in X amount of years then you get your voting rights taken away. That is helping weed the dinosaurs out.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,361 Posts

Why would the marlin fans not be complaining. Are you suggesting that those fans are too stupid to see how enter is completely botching one of the last good trade chips they have.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Jon Heyman
    Jon Heyman
    @JonHeyman
    ·
    10h
    Chris Johnson, former astros, braves and marlins 3B, signs minors deal with
    @chisox
    . No MLB camp invite. Johnson, 34. Didn’t play last year.
    @jonbecker_
    1st
    Get off my lawn!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    some of them may not be voting anymore, sure.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Jon Heyman
    Jon Heyman
    @JonHeyman
    ·
    10h
    Chris Johnson, former astros, braves and marlins 3B, signs minors deal with
    @chisox
    . No MLB camp invite. Johnson, 34. Didn’t play last year.
    @jonbecker_
    1st
    the one and only Lord BABIP
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Mariano shouldnt have even got 1 vote. He never did anything on a legitimate team.
    Roger and ARod did double dosage every day just for Rivera to steal the recognition

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    They jumped on the price for JD when he agreed because he's actually been better than both Machado and Harper the past 5 years, even when missing nearly a full year. If healthy (and he looked pretty damn healthy to me with Cleveland and the physical came back fine) he could easily put up a better 2019 than either player at possibly close to half the price... so many of you are down playing just how good at baseball JD is. If he stays healthy, he will be a better overall player than Manny Hustle or Harper and will compete for NL MVP
    I really think AA only sees a draft pick at the end of JD's rainbow based on what else has transpired since.