Page 491 of 579 FirstFirst ... 391441481489490491492493501541 ... LastLast
Results 9,801 to 9,820 of 11579

Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,757 Posts
    Of course another reason Coppy was a disaster was going all in on pitching.

Sucks about Soroka. Gonna be tough to count on him moving forward

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    My worries have always been about how he gained 3-4 miles an hour.

My guess is between him being highly competitive and a gym rat...he pushed his body to the max to get there.

As good as he is, I don’t think he can hold that velocity for more than a year or two (and that’s if he’s healthy).

I think he will end up back to where he originally was, and that still a good pitcher...just not a 1/2 type...more a solid 3.

Question is...how much weight was he lifting when he felt discomfort. My guess...he was maxing out.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    IDK if it's been noted here, I haven't seen it. But, IF you think the Braves have $7M more to spend THIS year, then it's possible the Braves could have had Machado instead of Donaldson, since Machado has resigned himself to being a 3B. Will Donaldson be better than Machado in 2019? Possibly. Will he be worth more WAR over the next 10 years? Unlikely. Will Machado be worth his contract? Unknown.

Just interesting.

I don't think Machado OR Harper are the right players at this time for the Braves. But, I also think that Donaldson is a waste on the Braves this year considering that they can't address other areas satisfactorily.

NL Rookie of the Year CrazyTrain's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    This is really bad news about Soroka. Gotta go out and get Keuchel or Gio now.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyTrain View Post
    Gio maybe.

Keuchel? I don't see how it's related. Even the most optimistic Braves fan couldn't have projected Soroka value equal with Keuchel value. If so, it's way over rating the introductory value of Soroka coming off injury or way under rating what should be required in expectation to make a Keuchel signing even remotely worthwhile.

To sign Keuchel you've got to be willing to go high AAV with at least 3-4 years AND lose the pick. If the Braves were going to do that they should have signed Pollock, Brantley or McCutchen. Since they didn't do that for an area of much greater need, I can't see them doing it for another starter.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Horsehide Harry For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-22-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    IDK if it's been noted here, I haven't seen it. But, IF you think the Braves have $7M more to spend THIS year, then it's possible the Braves could have had Machado instead of Donaldson, since Machado has resigned himself to being a 3B. Will Donaldson be better than Machado in 2019? Possibly. Will he be worth more WAR over the next 10 years? Unlikely. Will Machado be worth his contract? Unknown.

Just interesting.

I don't think Machado OR Harper are the right players at this time for the Braves. But, I also think that Donaldson is a waste on the Braves this year considering that they can't address other areas satisfactorily.
    $300MM vs $23MM
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

buck75 (02-22-2019)

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    $300MM vs $23MM
    Well yeah.

But a different way to look at it:

$23M vs $30M

? vs $30M

? vs $30M

and so forth.

Do you believe that Machado will be worth his contract in those ? years above and beyond the cost/performance factor of whoever plays there in the future? The Padres apparently do.

As I said, I've not advocating for signing either Machado or Harper. But the Braves could have made it work this year instead of signing Donaldson. They chose not to. Why?

Cost? If cost, then any idea of increasing future revenues/payroll should be taken with skepticism since making the number work this year means making it work in future years AND paying the developing young talent IF the payroll grows in future years.

Talent available? This would be Riley. But considering their apparent willingness to include Riley in trade talks, I don't think they are sold on him being a 3-4 WAR player at 3B from 2020 through 2026.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Well yeah.

But a different way to look at it:

$23M vs $30M

? vs $30M

? vs $30M

and so forth.

Do you believe that Machado will be worth his contract in those ? years above and beyond the cost/performance factor of whoever plays there in the future? The Padres apparently do.

As I said, I've not advocating for signing either Machado or Harper. But the Braves could have made it work this year instead of signing Donaldson. They chose not to. Why?

Cost? If cost, then any idea of increasing future revenues/payroll should be taken with skepticism since making the number work this year means making it work in future years AND paying the developing young talent IF the payroll grows in future years.

Talent available? This would be Riley. But considering their apparent willingness to include Riley in trade talks, I don't think they are sold on him being a 3-4 WAR player at 3B from 2020 through 2026.
    We needed someone to hold a place for Riley, that could also be signed back if Riley doesn’t pan out.

I really don’t like Machado or Harper’s attitudes for the money.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyTrain View Post
    Yeah, cause we don’t have like nine other starters waiting to fill that five spot....

Brian Jordan's New BFF JohnAdcox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay212033 View Post
    This is the reason they stockpile pitching though. They know for every 10 pitching prospects maybe one will make it as a viable starting option.
    Not with you there, mate. It's like stocking up on lottery tickets. Sure, the odds of winning go up, but it's still a pretty poor investment.

More, with position players, it's (at least somewhat) easier to project future likelihood of success. I don't think we know yet which arms to trade and which to hold.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnAdcox For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-22-2019)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnAdcox View Post
    Not with you there, mate. It's like stocking up on lottery tickets. Sure, the odds of winning go up, but it's still a pretty poor investment.

More, with position players, it's (at least somewhat) easier to project future likelihood of success. I don't think we know yet which arms to trade and which to hold.
    I don't think anyone ever knows that - until years after the trades are made anyway.

The problem is that we haven't traded a single one - AA is gun-shy, and will use Soroka's health as an excuse to hold onto the other arms that much tighter when several of them should already have been moved. If he'd have jumped when he should have and overpaid to go get Haniger and/or Realmuto, he could've brought Anibal back, signed Keuchel or Gio, or *ell even go dumpster-diving for guys like Santana, Shields, Fiers, or Miley for depth.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnAdcox View Post

Even approach is the best. We have what we have, and the fact so many of our drafted prospects have actually just made it to the pros is pretty amazing. I thought half of them would have never made it out of the minor leagues.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to TheBravos For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (02-22-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Man that sucks about Soroka. I wish it was his elbow instead but feel bad for him regardless.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    dammit dammit dammit. Should have used him to get JT. Thanks, AA.
    They wanted Anderson, Riley/Pache, and one of Wright/Touki/Wilson reportedly, hard pass.

And i wanted Realmuto badly but thats overkill.
    Last edited by Heyward; 02-22-2019 at 07:07 PM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-22-2019)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Even without Soroka, you still have Gohara, Fried, Touki, Wright, Wilson, with Anderson knocking on the door on top of Newk, Folty, Gaus and Julio cupboard isnt exactly bear.

As well as Tarnok, Wentz, Muller, Wiegel, Allard? as well.

But Soroka news aint good at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    I think everyone is overreacting on Soroka. Some soreness ramping up to full speed after the injury and offseason was always likely. There's a reasonable chance this is minor discomfort and an abundance of caution. The next time it happens will be the time to worry.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    I think everyone is overreacting on Soroka. Some soreness ramping up to full speed after the injury and offseason was always likely. There's a reasonable chance this is minor discomfort and an abundance of caution. The next time it happens will be the time to worry.
    This is the 3rd time.

Why will the 4th time suddenly be worrisome?

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    This is the 3rd time.

Why will the 4th time suddenly be worrisome?
    Why are the announcing this? Just kill any trade value?

No way I’m sharing that. I’m calling it sickness if ppl ask

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    Why are the announcing this? Just kill any trade value?

No way I’m sharing that. I’m calling it sickness if ppl ask
    He's going to have to pass a physical exam if we trade him. The doctors will catch any possible issues before any deal is finalized.

All that keeping it quiet would do is fool the fans and beat reporters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts

Just interesting.

by my calculation the Pods are paying Machado almost 9M per expected win and we are paying Donaldson about 6M per expected win
    #value
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

26. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-22-2019)