Page 309 of 579 FirstFirst ... 209259299307308309310311319359409 ... LastLast
Results 6,161 to 6,180 of 11579

Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Bob Nightengale reporting that the Phillies are the clear cut favorites to sign Harper. Says Washington isn’t comfortable going over 25 per.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    510 Posts
    Would be pretty comical to have seen the return the tridumbverate would have gotten for Freddie, TBH

3. The Following User Says Thank You to drewdat For This Useful Post:

DirkPiggler (01-13-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    Bob Nightengale reporting that the Phillies are the clear cut favorites to sign Harper. Says Washington isn’t comfortable going over 25 per.
    Who would the nats get if they lose Harper? Pollock?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    They could. But Rendon is gonna take more than 25 per in an extension so they better get their wallet out.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    I bet the Nats still pull it out. The same report says the Phillies haven't even made a formal offer. And the Phillies reportedly prefer Machado.

Arbitration Eligible Freshmaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    521 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    They don't really need an OF, right? Could just roll with Soto, Eaton and Robles. Plus they've got Taylor unless he's gone elsewhere

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    When the rebuild started we were told that it would focus on young pitching because that was a currency that could always be converted to young bats. It appears that the exchange rate on our currency isn't in our favor.

I can't understand why a pitching prospect like Touki can't be flipped for a not yet established bat that is MLB ready. Don't the Astros have one of those? That keeps the team young and cheap, while helping clear the logjam of pitchers that are ready for a shot.
    There's no reason it can't be. That's the problem I'm having at this point.

Yes, landing a Realmuto or Haniger's going to require an overpay, but who really gives a *hit? So long as you don't include 2-3 "extra arms" in a deal to get an important piece and overly expose yourself to injury because you don't have ENOUGH arms to handle a couple guys getting hurt, go get the pieces you don't have.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzie Swanson View Post
    Do we think that the current free agent market (fewer teams inclined to give big money deals over long periods of time) makes it more likely the Braves are able to sign Acuna to a long term extension before he hits free agency?
    No chance. Acuna has a non-zero chance of making more money during his arbitration years than Arenado, Betts, and Lindor are making - signing an extension would be pretty crazy if he makes it through 2019 healthy.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post
    They don't really need an OF, right? Could just roll with Soto, Eaton and Robles. Plus they've got Taylor unless he's gone elsewhere
    This.

Just turn around and extend Rendon with the money.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    He could be right but Nightengale is also trash.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    I wouldn’t have thought it, but the longer AA goes without a move...the more I think we could be quietly going after Harper. I really hope not, but that could be the case being he would take up all remaining payroll plus some.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Giving JD $23M erased the already small chance the Braves had at signing Harper.

It’s time folks wake up and realize the Braves are shopping in the bargain bin now with $15M or so left in the 2019 opening day payroll.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Giving JD $23M erased the already small chance the Braves had at signing Harper.

It’s time folks wake up and realize the Braves are shopping in the bargain bin now with $15M or so left in the 2019 opening day payroll.
    Yep

I still think there is a chance to move Tehran and have 20-25 million.

I thought we were guaranteed to get a giant trade bc of the glut of number 3/4 pitchers and our need for cost controlled talent.

I still think we see it but I’m not certain anymore.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

Don’t get me wrong ....I do not want Harper. That’s not a good use of resources. We could move Julio and O’day and turn that 15 mil into 35 mil though. It wouldn’t be easy, but wouldn’t be impossible either.

NL Rookie of the Year Acuña’s Bat Flip's Avatar
    Gaffney, South Carolina (Home of the Big Butt "Peach" on I-85)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    Machado to Chicago and Harper to Philly is an outcome I can live with. It's not ideal, but it's a heck of a lot better than Harper in Washington and Machado in Philadelphia.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    The point is and has always been that when you trade Freeman (say after 2016) you DON'T CARE what his production is in 2017 and 2018. It isn't about getting the production that Freeman produced. It's about getting the production that Freeman will produce in 19, 20, 21 and at a fraction of the cost. It's also about using the $21M per year he got paid in those years elsewhere like taking a bad contract back from some team as part of a deal that brings more useful talent, draft position, etc. You care about the money being spent on Freeman because it is being wasted on something that isn't really useful to the long term goal.
    uh, no, because his production was very nice to have last year. ya know, when they won the division.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Machado to Chicago and Harper to Philly is an outcome I can live with. It's not ideal, but it's a heck of a lot better than Harper in Washington and Machado in Philadelphia.
    Definitely, agree. That said, we have to make another big move to truly stay competitive in this division. It's just crazy good right now.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    The point is and has always been that when you trade Freeman (say after 2016) you DON'T CARE what his production is in 2017 and 2018. It isn't about getting the production that Freeman produced. It's about getting the production that Freeman will produce in 19, 20, 21 and at a fraction of the cost. It's also about using the $21M per year he got paid in those years elsewhere like taking a bad contract back from some team as part of a deal that brings more useful talent, draft position, etc. You care about the money being spent on Freeman because it is being wasted on something that isn't really useful to the long term goal.

It's like having a Lamborghini sports car as your primary mode of transport when you've got 4 kids to haul around. You can sell the sports car and buy a van and bank the left over cash or you can park the Lambo in your garage, buy the van anyway, never drive the Lambo and pine about what fun it used to be to tool around town at 120 mph in the "old" days.
    The fact is, no matter when you suggest, it was never a good idea to trade Freeman. The likelihood of getting back a return commiserate with his production was minimal. Our window is now and was always going to be now with the way our young talent has developed so quickly. Without a 5+ WAR masher like Freeman in the lineup, we'd find it harder to put together a winning team. And at that point, you waste the cheap years of Acuna and Albies.

Best case scenario from a Freeman trade is we come away with 2 players who equal 5-6 WAR. But it's way more beneficial to have 1 player produce 5-6 WAR than 2 players producing 5-6 WAR.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

DirkPiggler (01-14-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Best case scenario from a Freeman trade is we come away with 2 players who equal 5-6 WAR. But it's way more beneficial to have 1 player produce 5-6 WAR than 2 players producing 5-6 WAR.
    and that's probably absolute best realistic case. and that probably doesn't happen for a few years even from now - young players take a while to develop, and often a while to adjust to the major leagues. even top prospects.

if freeman is traded in 2016, the division isn't won in 2018. your outlook for this season is a whole lot worse. you enter a full-blown rebuild that doesn't have as quick a turnaround time. no thank you.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg