Results 1,061 to 1,080 of 11579

Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRunningAgent View Post
    Where are these Kluber rumors coming from? Anything to it? Ender, Julio and 2 prospects for Kluber and Yan. Then, Pache plays CF. Anybody in? If we did that, we still need a RF.
    be nice, enscheff
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Judging by AA's past and the fact he doesn't believe much in free agency I think we should be looking at trades where we take on short term salary in exchange for surplus value.

Teams that are looking to shed salary like D-backs and Indians are a good start IMO

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Why is that? Brantley pretty clearly has the better offensive history and they both have missed a good amount of time to injury lately.
    I think Pollock will stay more healthy moving to a corner outfield spot. Just my preference between the 2. I’d rather trade for Peralta.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    In dealing with the FA market, we should prize flexibility and control of financial risks. Or to put it slightly differently, be willing to pay a bit higher AAV for a shorter contract.

In particular, if we go after Grandal, Brantley or Pollock, we should really try for a 3 year deal. The aging curve is not the same for every player and this is a source of risk when signing guys to deals that take them into their mid-30s or beyond.

Similarly, when going after relievers (and I think we should go after someone with a track record of success pitching in high leverage situations) we should try to do a 2 year deal if possible. Ironically, this might mean going for an older guy like Soria or Robertson, who would be more willing to do a 2 year deal. But older players with strong performances in their walk year are a relatively good risk if they are willing to accept shorter deals.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Rosenthal wrote today that we are an unlikely team for Kluber, Carrasco or Bauer, and that our bigger needs are corner OF, a second catcher and bench help.

He also said we will "probably be inclined to keep most of" our pitching prospects. He says the Rays and Brewers have shown how young arms can be deployed in new, innovative ways, and that clubs now more than ever are better off if stocking up arms.
    Sounds like Rosenthal knows more about the Braves than their own beat writer. The Braves are set up well to follow the new efficient trends in pitcher deployment, which is what I’ve been saying for months now.

Of course, it’s probably Bowmans job to keep the casual fans interested in the off season by writing stupid things like “the Braves have at least $60M to spend”, and, “the Braves can acquire Kluber, Realmuto and Harper...derp”.

Don’t be one of the idiots who thinks the Braves can afford to add more than they can really afford to add. You’ll sound smarter and won’t be as disappointed.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Sounds like Rosenthal knows more about the Braves than their own beat writer. The Braves are set up well to follow the new efficient trends in pitcher deployment, which is what I’ve been saying for months now.

Of course, it’s probably Bowmans job to keep the casual fans interested in the off season by writing stupid things like “the Braves have at least $60M to spend”, and, “the Braves can acquire Kluber, Realmuto and Harper...derp”.

Don’t be one of the idiots who thinks the Braves can afford to add more than they can really afford to add. You’ll sound smarter and won’t be as disappointed.
    That's how I am eye-balling the off-season. I think they can add some pieces without breaking the bank or bankrupting the farm. We may look to have a surplus of good young pitching and I don't think we should waste that. We may have to cough up more in dollars/years than we want to get another above average power bat in the line-up and that's the only type of player that I would shell out for. I am skeptical about Donaldson (and what he may cost), but if his demands are reasonable I would take a flyer on him. I don't know what the Yankees plans are with Aaron Hicks (and what is acquisition cost would be), but he is someone I would inquire about. For those dreaming about Eddie Rosario, it would take a truckload to get him and his peripherals really stink.
    Last edited by 50PoundHead; 11-05-2018 at 12:45 PM.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    In dealing with the FA market, we should prize flexibility and control of financial risks. Or to put it slightly differently, be willing to pay a bit higher AAV for a shorter contract.

In particular, if we go after Grandal, Brantley or Pollock, we should really try for a 3 year deal. The aging curve is not the same for every player and this is a source of risk when signing guys to deals that take them into their mid-30s or beyond.

Similarly, when going after relievers (and I think we should go after someone with a track record of success pitching in high leverage situations) we should try to do a 2 year deal if possible. Ironically, this might mean going for an older guy like Soria or Robertson, who would be more willing to do a 2 year deal. But older players with strong performances in their walk year are a relatively good risk if they are willing to accept shorter deals.
    When listening to the "experts" this morning - the folks that get paid to talk baseball - the feeling seems to be that Grandal's awful postseason cost him more than some around here think. The folks on XM have more or less agreed that he's looking at a 3 year deal, even if he gets they type of AAV most have been expecting. Not sure I buy that either, but if he can be had on a 3 year deal you almost have to expect AA to be in on him - if Contreras isn't ready in 2020, you can pick up Flow's option and still have one of the game's best catching tandems (if not the best).

If you're looking at 3/$45 million for Grandal and 3/$45 million for one of the corner OFs there's still plenty of money left to upgrade the pen - possibly with anyone not named Kimbrel.

That still leaves the TOR part of the wishlist unfilled - unless you could unload Julio's salary (which it sounds like they're still trying to do). I'm not sure they're open to going with Openers and the new ways other teams have deployed Pitchers this year, but no one's better suited to try it than the Braves IMO. If Rosenthal's right about us holding onto most of the arms, it's tough to see them not ask Camargo, Dansby, and Ozzie spend a little time in the OF this winter and during camp so you can maximize flexibility.

I would think a lot of whether they could go that route would depend on how good they feel about a bounce back from Duvall. If they think he can be playable enough to help keep Brantley healthy, there's no reason to think they couldn't land Grandal, Brantley, and one of the types of pen arms you mention. The thing about that is I'd almost rather go out and get Grandal, Brantley, and Gonzalez (ditching Duvall to even out the money), especially if you're not going to ask the young arms to give you traditional SP workloads moving forward. When you look at all the guys that are already on the 40-Man Roster, we've got a ton of kids you're not convinced can be rotation pieces yet that would probably be ideal in 2-3 inning stints - Newk, Touki, Fried, Gohara, and Wilson.

The problem with changing to that formula is you absolutely torpedo those guys' trade value when you start utilizing them that way.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    I'll be dumbfounded if the Braves don't trade some of their major league ready pitching prospects.

Everything Anthopolous has said has suggested that they will in fact do that.

Holding on to all of these major league ready SP prospects is just not an efficient thing to do.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ixiXSolidXixi View Post
    I don’t want Markakis!! All those moves are the ones i feel the Braves will make.Brantley and Pollock will not come cheap and they get hurt frequently. McCutchen is not the player he used to be. If we are going to sign any of this players we need a short term contract and i believe none of them want that. Thats why at the end Braves will sign Nick Markakis again with a short deal contract.

The Braves offense should improve with Jt Realmuto and a full year of Ronald Acuña.
    But neck is a gold glover

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Still not ready to push all in this year. I think smart additions and let the team grow together. Even if we don’t win it all. I like to see what we can develop. That is my take. People tend to get impatient. We have a real shot at building a long term powerhouse.
    Well if you're not gonna use the prospects to upgrade the team, when will you?

The point of having a good farm is to use them in trades to upgrade your roster. Cant prospect hoard forever now. I'm not saying i'd blow our farm on 3 players but no reason to not make at least 1 big trade to improve the team.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    The problem with keeping SP prospects is their value can torpedo down and they wont be worth as much via trade.

Guys like Allard, Gohara, Fried, among some others values could really hit low a year from now, and we'd be looking like why didnt they move them. It would be beyond stupid to not make at least 1 big trade to help out the team.

The Braves window wont last forever, they need to capitalize on the farm they have, and use some of them in trades to improve the roster which has holes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    The problem with keeping SP prospects is their value can torpedo down and they wont be worth as much via trade.
    Couldn't the opposite be true too?

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Couldn't the opposite be true too?
    I mean yeah, their values could theoretically improve but if the likes of Newk, Fried, Allard, Gohard whose value is maybe peak value, doesnt improve. It hurts the team. It would be beyond stupid to hold onto all the SP prospects, if the Braves dont make any big changes, they may not even make the playoffs next year.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    Well if you're not gonna use the prospects to upgrade the team, when will you?

The point of having a good farm is to use them in trades to upgrade your roster. Cant prospect hoard forever now. I'm not saying i'd blow our farm on 3 players but no reason to not make at least 1 big trade to improve the team.
    I fine dealing some. But a lot of these prospects we want to move aren’t even on the 40 man roster or just got added. We can let some assets mature a bit more.

I love the thought of another year of seasoning with johan, dansby, Acuña and oz all together. Sprinkle in our young pitching to prove themselves and you could start a very long reign of domination. Without any moves we are a top 8 team. Don’t cash in all your chips just to get to a top 4 team when there really isn’t a lot separating us from that spot now.

Make cautious moves now and maybe one bold move mid year. Then really answer any remaining questions next off season.
    Coppy

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

clvclv (11-05-2018), jpx7 (11-05-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    I mean yeah, their values could theoretically improve but if the likes of Newk, Fried, Allard, Gohard whose value is maybe peak value, doesnt improve. It hurts the team. It would be beyond stupid to hold onto all the SP prospects, if the Braves dont make any big changes, they may not even make the playoffs next year.
    Gohara and allard probably at low point. Gohara is worth holding on to. Don't really care on allard. I'd trade newcomb and fried if it upgraded us. Gohara is a lottery ticket worth holding though

17. The Following User Says Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-05-2018)

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I fine dealing some. But a lot of these prospects we want to move aren’t even on the 40 man roster or just got added. We can let some assets mature a bit more.

I love the thought of another year of seasoning with johan, dansby, Acuña and oz all together. Sprinkle in our young pitching to prove themselves and you could start a very long reign of domination. Without any moves we are a top 8 team. Don’t cash in all your chips just to get to a top 4 team when there really isn’t a lot separating us from that spot now.

Make cautious moves now and maybe one bold move mid year. Then really answer any remaining questions next off season.
    I'm not sure we're a top 8 team without any moves.

We have some major flaws and got a little lucky last year. Not sure that happens again. Not saying i'd gut the farm or anything but it would be beyond stupid just to make some patchwork moves when Atlanta has the money and prospect capital to really improve the team this winter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    LMAO:

20. The Following User Says Thank You to UNCBlue012 For This Useful Post:

NinersSBChamps (11-05-2018)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    I'm not sure we're a top 8 team without any moves.

We have some major flaws and got a little lucky last year. Not sure that happens again. Not saying i'd gut the farm or anything but it would be beyond stupid just to make some patchwork moves when Atlanta has the money and prospect capital to really improve the team this winter.

Luck maybe. But we did win 90 games. We are a good team. We need a new catcher and a new RF. Then some bench depth.
    Coppy

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    It would be stupid not to at least try.
    I'm as guilty as anyone when it comes to jonesing for an Ace since I'm a part of the old-school traditionalist crowd, but you really can't argue with Rosenthal's point about improving the offense and pen first and foremost.

The 2018 rotation ranked 4th in ERA, 6th in WHIP, 28th in BBs, 12th in K/9, and 3rd in HR/9. If you just get Newk and Julio to throw more strikes, the rotation is fine. Even if they don't, you've got Soroka, Gohara, Fried, and Wright who may well provide upgrades to those two if they keep putting guys on.

The reason they couldn't hit good pitching against the Dodgers in the playoffs is that Acuna and Albies tried to do a bit too much, Flow isn't a strong hitter (even though he gets on base), and Markakis came crashing back to earth in the second half.

The 2018 offense finished 5th in average, 11th in OBP (will improve as Ozzie and Albies stop chasing so much), 11th in OPS, 19th in HRs, and 10th in SBs. Adding Grandal and Brantley would significantly increase those HR and OPS ranks.

For all that everyone kept trying to defend and not worry about the pen, it was the obvious weak link -

The 2018 pen ranked 17th in ERA, 24th in WHIP, LAST in BB/9, 14th in K/9, and 2nd in HR/9.

(All ranks were MLB ranks - not NL.)
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Thought this would give everyone a good laugh. On MLBTraderumors article about Yanks being interested in Re-signing CC and theres interest in Gray, a poster commented the following....

"Machado is a LOCK in pinstripes. Plus the braves need pitching…… Gray for Acuna. Acuna is still a prospect and you can avoid his sophomore slump, meanwhile braves get a proven top 15 pitcher in the NL."
    Get off my lawn!