Page 325 of 579 FirstFirst ... 225275315323324325326327335375425 ... LastLast
Results 6,481 to 6,500 of 11579

Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I know Bowman is an idiot but he’s saying Markakis is our likeliest target in FA. Man I hate hearing that bc if that’s the case then an offseason of JD, Mac, and Neck is pretty terrible by not upgrading anything else. If Neck is the target then Realmuto has to be gotten also.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    I know Bowman is an idiot but he’s saying Markakis is our likeliest target in FA. Man I hate hearing that bc if that’s the case then an offseason of JD, Mac, and Neck is pretty terrible by not upgrading anything else. If Neck is the target then Realmuto has to be gotten also.
    It could happen that Markakis is brought back. There is a scenario where none of the teams I just mentioned as potential trade partners opts to do business with us. The Reds might move a surplus corner outfielder for someone who can play center. The Cubs might play Zobrist or Happ at second and try to get by with Baez at short. The Dodgers might not land Harper or Machado and stand pat with their current group of outfielders.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    It could happen that Markakis is brought back. There is a scenario where none of the teams I just mentioned as potential trade partners opts to do business with us. The Reds might move a surplus corner outfielder for someone who can play center. The Cubs might play Zobrist or Happ at second and try to get by with Baez at short. The Dodgers might not land Harper or Machado and stand pat with their current group of outfielders.
    It’s weird that they don’t want to sign Pollock because of the draft pick, but signing neck would almost force them to trade for JT....who would require us giving up 2-3 high draft picks.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    If we consider which teams have more corner outfielders than they need we may have a hint. The Padres are one possibility but none hold great appeal.

The Reds have Kemp, Puig, Winker and Schebler. They also would be interested in a young starting pitcher who was near major league ready. They are also looking for a spot to play Senzel and have discussed moving him to the outfield.

The Cubs have Happ, Zobrist, Heyward and Schwarber. Also would be interested in a young near major league starting pitcher.

The Dodgers have Taylor, Pederson, Verdugo. Kike Hernandez also is there but he will probably play mostly second. Bellinger too, but he mostly plays first and center. They may move Seager to the outfield at some point. I imagine they are quietly in on Harper and/or Machado.

It seems to me we match up best with the Reds, Cubs and Dodgers when it comes to a potential trade for a corner outfielder.

The Twins are another possibility. They could move Kepler and create more playing time for Cave.
    If the Nats get Harper then Eaton almost certainly becomes available.

If the Yankees get Harper then Gardner almost certainly becomes available.

It seems like we may have to wait for the Machado/Harper/Pollock (and possibly JTR) chips to fall before AA can pick through the scraps to fill LF.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    If the Nats get Harper then Eaton almost certainly becomes available.

If the Yankees get Harper then Gardner almost certainly becomes available.

It seems like we may have to wait for the Machado/Harper/Pollock (and possibly JTR) chips to fall before AA can pick through the scraps to fill LF.
    if the Yankees sign Harper I would get creative and make an offer for Stanton...an offer where they pick up some salary

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    if the Yankees sign Harper I would get creative and make an offer for Stanton...an offer where they pick up some salary
    No
    Coppy

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

clvclv (01-18-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    A couple other tidbits from that mailbag:

Is Craig Kimbrel still a possibility for the Braves?
    -- @Liam Filipowski

As we get closer to Spring Training, there's now at least more reason to think Kimbrel's market might drop to the point where it's more feasible to think about a reunion. The Braves would likely not offer more than three years, but the financial component (likely above $16 million per season) could still prove to be a deterrent.

Atlanta has the financial resources necessary to afford Kimbrel next season. But if the Braves were to commit $16 million to $18 million to him, they would limit their flexibility to address their greater needs to add an outfielder or enhance the rotation.

Bowman went from saying the Braves "have at least $60M to spend" when the payroll was sitting at $80M, to essentially saying "the Braves have less than $20M to spend" now that the payroll sits at ~$107M. So which is it? Is payroll going to be be $140M or $125M?

Intelligent folks have been predicting a 2019 opening day payroll in the $120M-$125M range for months/years now.

Why do the Braves seem to be holding onto all of their pitching prospects rather than "blowing another team away" with a trade offer to fill the outfield void or get an ace? There's not enough room in the rotation for all these young guys.
    -- @ElderLD

There's plenty of room as long as they all still have options, allowing for the possibility for them to be shuttled between the Atlanta and Triple-A Gwinnett rosters.

Folks blabbering about the surplus of pitchers forget that these guys don't have to be on the MLB roster now, or even anytime in the near future. There is no "trade them soon or else" scenario going on here.

As I've pointed out many times before, the Braves used 13 SPs last year, and gave 5+ starts to 9 different guys. They even gave Matt Wisler 3 starts. Teheran is likely on his way out of the rotation, and Newk is probably destined for the BP as well. Soroka will need his workload managed, as will Gohara. Other guys will get injured and/or hit the 10 day DL for extended rest.

There will be plenty of starts for all the young guys needing MLB exposure.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 01-18-2019 at 02:34 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Good. Keep him away from us.

NL Rookie of the Year CrazyTrain's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    I don't think you can say they've ignored anything until everything shakes out... we have no idea what's going on behind the scenes and there are still plenty of options left everywhere.
    I meant on the FA market, although Pollock is still there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    The Reds are a terrible franchise. I have no idea why they're trying to trade for Gray. Gray is the kind of player the Reds should be trying to get rid of, not trying to acquire.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    The Reds are a terrible franchise. I have no idea why they're trying to trade for Gray. Gray is the kind of player the Reds should be trying to get rid of, not trying to acquire.
    They're really really bad. That division is so good that it makes no sense to try and compete at this point. So stupid.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    I'd pass on ANY of the Padres' OFs for Riley - certainly straight-up. Just make Riley or Camargo a full-time LF and keep the other one as your Donaldson replacement if a 1/1 deal is your only option.

I (like everyone) love Hedges' defense, and his power started to show up in the second half last year. With the talk about them being willing to spend some money and looking for a veteran arm or two to help with their young SPs, could there be something that could be worked out with Riley, Julio, and a throw-in or two going their way with Hedges, Reyes, and one of Yates or Strahm coming back?
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    The Mutts aren't acting like the Mutts this winter - someone had to step up and take their place.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    At least they don't waste time looking at spreadsheets!

Amirite??

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    It’s weird that they don’t want to sign Pollock because of the draft pick, but signing neck would almost force them to trade for JT....who would require us giving up 2-3 high draft picks.
    I do not think bringing back Mariano’s means they have to trade for J.T.

I’m content doing waiting for deadline.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Bowman likely hadn’t done the arb calculations.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    There are apparently two unidentified teams in on Machado

Arbitration Eligible Freshmaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    521 Posts
    lol

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post
    lol

I sure lots of teams have made inquiries after the offer from the white Sox got leaked