Results 5,401 to 5,420 of 11579

Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Doesn't this question - as well as Southcack's - come down to whether AA's willing to push a lot of chips in to take a shot with a shorter window???

Project salary levels all anyone wants, it's complete speculation since we honestly haven't the slightest clue as to what number Alex has been given to work with. That goes for everyone.

Setting caps that make sense when you're on the outside is the easy part - truth be told, we have absolutely no clue how motivated to win the people in charge for setting those limits on behalf of Liberty Media are. It's just as possible they're as convinced that winning a Championship adds to the value of the franchise if their plan is to sell within the next few years as anything. They also could've given AA a hard number and told him "that's it - we don't care how close you are".

What we do know is that they've gone higher than expected before when they brought in Santana after Medlen and Beachy blew out their arms - AND the numbers from the new stadium and surrounding revenue streams are very promising plus they're much closer to the next TV contract at this point. That may not make any difference at all, but it could. The TV deal is up in 8 years - if they're looking to sell in 5, how much value would a Championship within the next 3 years add to their expected return? Would they give AA that kind of extra flexibility now? Who knows? There's no doubt the situations are entirely different, but the next time someone with intimate knowledge of what Liberty's plans are posts here will be the first time.

I think it's hilarious to see posters constantly say they "know" these things. If AA was able to get rid of Julio and Duvall's salaries as part of (or in separate) deals to bring serious upgrades in, nobody here knows. Is it unlikely? Probably, but we honestly just don't know - and anybody that tells you they do is just as full of *hit as anyone else.
    Why do you have to post these “holier than thou” novels all the time. Of course none of us know what the actual budget is. But we are able to make educated guesses based on previous years and income that the team has made.

Also, your argument about the team being sold and the tv contract are useless. There’s no guarantee the team is going to be sold and in 8 years, the tv landscape is going to be completely different to where there may not even be tv contracts for teams.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter31 View Post
    Why do you have to post these “holier than thou” novels all the time. Of course none of us know what the actual budget is. But we are able to make educated guesses based on previous years and income that the team has made.

Also, your argument about the team being sold and the tv contract are useless. There’s no guarantee the team is going to be sold and in 8 years, the tv landscape is going to be completely different to where there may not even be tv contracts for teams.
    Exactly as useless as posts from those who tell everyone they know what the budget is - nothing "holier than thou" about it.

Like I said, it's just funny to read posts from people who tell you they know things when they obviously don't have any information the rest of us don't.

Why some feel the need to hide from the fact they don't know either is just really funny.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I’d love to hear your ideas as to how the Braves could afford to add both Peralta and Greinke.
    Like nsacpi said, send JT their way and they eat the deferred money.

Arbitration Eligible Freshmaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    521 Posts
    Yeah, all we can do is guess what the payroll will end up being based on what it was last year and AA's statement that he's got some money to work with. A modest increase of 10M or so is perfectly reasonable. The team will never publicly state what it will be for obvious competitive reasons, so we won't know until the season starts. The only hard facts we have is that the team was #7 in MLB in revenue in 2017, and had the #21 payroll in 2018. My assumption in the disparity is that they have had to use their extra revenue to pay down debts (from both STP and new spring training complex). Hopefully w/in a few seasons they'll have paid enough of that debt down so that ownership can & will increase payroll so that it's more in line with revenue.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Like nsacpi said, send JT their way and they eat the deferred money.
    If that happens we are still looking at an additional 15 to 17 million, right? Still have to pay peralta.

Maybe you include or cut Duvall. Save 3 million.

If newk is. in the deal you save 500k.

If we have 30 million to spend we can do it. We are behaving like we have 10 million to spend.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    If that happens we are still looking at an additional 15 to 17 million, right? Still have to pay peralta.

If we have 30 million to spend we can do it. We are behaving like we have 10 million to spend.
    if the Dbacks eat the deferred salary the net in 2019 from the trade is about 10M plus whatever Peraltas salary is

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    if the Dbacks eat the deferred salary the net in 2019 from the trade is about 10M plus whatever Peraltas salary is
    And significantly more than that in 2020 and 2021.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Peralta shouldn’t have that significant a prospect cost.

Nothing worth worrying about anyway in a fair deal. You don’t do it if the Ds are trying to hold you up.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts

How much of a raise is Peralta projected to get? I was thinking he'd be around 6-7 million after being at 3.5 last year. With 11 million of deferred money to Greinke paid by AZ and Julio's 11, that'd put the money added to payroll around 20 million. Unless I'm missing something.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    And significantly more than that in 2020 and 2021.
    24 million each year. For a 3-4 win pitcher, that isn't significant. And with most of our core locked up under cheap control for the next 3-4 years, we can afford to take on a big salary for the short term. Unless the plan is to sign Arenado, Rendon, or Ozuna next off-season, it doesn't affect us that much.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    How much of a raise is Peralta projected to get? I was thinking he'd be around 6-7 million after being at 3.5 last year. With 11 million of deferred money to Greinke paid by AZ and Julio's 11, that'd put the money added to payroll around 20 million. Unless I'm missing something.
    That is what I thought. I don’t think it’s obvious we have 20 million.

Then you do have to think about future years as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    24 million each year. For a 3-4 win pitcher, that isn't significant. And with most of our core locked up under cheap control for the next 3-4 years, we can afford to take on a big salary for the short term. Unless the plan is to sign Arenado, Rendon, or Ozuna next off-season, it doesn't affect us that much.
    A salary that is 15 percent of your team in one guy is significant.

Might not stop you but it’s significant.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    A salary that is 15 percent of your team in one guy is significant.

Might not stop you but it’s significant.
    Apparently won't stop them since Freddie and Donaldson are making in that range, but adding a third player making that kind of money would certainly seem to be pushing the envelope though - unless the plan is to add to payroll as the debt is paid down or they're really only looking at Donaldson as a one-year bridge to Riley. Even if you can unload Julio, getting O'Day off the books only covers the raises for Folty and Gausman in 2020 (at best) so there's still not going to be loads of wiggle room unless payroll's going up.
    Last edited by clvclv; 12-30-2018 at 11:16 AM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Exactly as useless as posts from those who tell everyone they know what the budget is - nothing "holier than thou" about it.

Like I said, it's just funny to read posts from people who tell you they know things when they obviously don't have any information the rest of us don't.

Why some feel the need to hide from the fact they don't know either is just really funny.
    Except that I’m always right and you say thing like you want to trade Albies for Dee Gordon.

When everyone on this board constantly points out how stupid you are, maybe you should take the hint and shut up?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    After seeing AA load up on 1 year deals and refusing to give anyone 3 years, you don’t think the plan involves one of those guys next year?

Greinke isn’t coming to the Braves unless the DBacks keep so much of the money that the return from the Braves becomes rough to part with.

I outlined the parameters of a Greinke/Peralta trade here:

http://www.chopcountry.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8784
    Last edited by Enscheff; 12-30-2018 at 12:34 PM.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Talking Chop actually had an interesting target today: Ramon Laureano. If the A's would be amenable, I would be pretty happy with that acquisition. Super cheap financially, had a great year in a SSS last year, really solid defensively. A lot of his production was inflated by BABIP luck, but I see no reason why he couldn't be a defense first kind of guy that will put up a ~.750-.800 OPS.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    Talking Chop actually had an interesting target today: Ramon Laureano. If the A's would be amenable, I would be pretty happy with that acquisition. Super cheap financially, had a great year in a SSS last year, really solid defensively. A lot of his production was inflated by BABIP luck, but I see no reason why he couldn't be a defense first kind of guy that will put up a ~.750-.800 OPS.
    I don’t really see any reason for the As to move him. He’s going to be super cheap for a while still.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    I don’t really see any reason for the As to move him. He’s going to be super cheap for a while still.
    this guy mookie betts seems good i would take him on the squad. wonder if we should target him.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    After seeing AA load up on 1 year deals and refusing to give anyone 3 years, you don’t think the plan involves one of those guys next year?

Greinke isn’t coming to the Braves unless the DBacks keep so much of the money that the return from the Braves becomes rough to part with.

I outlined the parameters of a Greinke/Peralta trade here:

http://www.chopcountry.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8784
    Couldn't it be simply be that he didn't feel comfortable giving those particular players 3 years? We're also reportedly interested in Keuchel who almost certainly won't sign less than a 3 year contract unless the market collapses.

It's entirely possible we're looking to next off-season. But it's a trade worth discussing.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Couldn't it be simply be that he didn't feel comfortable giving those particular players 3 years? We're also reportedly interested in Keuchel who almost certainly won't sign less than a 3 year contract unless the market collapses.

It's entirely possible we're looking to next off-season. But it's a trade worth discussing.
    Every off season folks insist on interpreting facts as they want to interpret them. This is no different because you want to defend your Greinke idea.

It's pretty clear the Braves don't want to take on 3 years of a mid-30s pitcher...or any mid-30s player.