Page 1 of 579 1231151101501 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

2018 Offseason And Targets

Might as well start the catch-all thread now. Realmuto, Bungarner, and Posey were already being discussed in the other thread - guess it's best to start one central thread for all the names and ideas so everyone can keep up.

Post 'em all - smart or crazy.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    I'll start with a name I haven't seen mentioned in a long time...Nomar Mazara.

Saw mention on MLBTR that the Rangers could be open to moving him this winter given their OF depth, and we've certainly got the young pitching they're going to ask for - the question is, just how much would you give up?
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Arbitration Eligible Freshmaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    521 Posts
    I'd be all for Bumgarner or Realmuto (or even Mazara). I'd say stay away from Posey though - he's starting to get long in the tooth for a catcher

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Freshmaker For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-08-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,532 Posts
    I would try to sign Eduardo Escobar or Asdrubal Cabrera
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    I'll start with a name I haven't seen mentioned in a long time...Nomar Mazara.
    There is a reason for that. Dude has played 3 full seasons pretty much and has yet to have over 1 WAR. He sucks defensively and doesn't hit all that well, why would you want to give up anything for him?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Escobar makes sense, but Cabrera is a no for me because of his defense.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Braves1976 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-07-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,969 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by auyushu View Post
    There is a reason for that. Dude has played 3 full seasons pretty much and has yet to have over 1 WAR. He sucks defensively and doesn't hit all that well, why would you want to give up anything for him?
    I mean him and Duvall could make a very good duo in LF, if Duvall can get back on track that is. But the acquisition cost would likely be fairly substantial, and we can sign a LH OF bat in FA to do the same thing without giving up prospects. Michael Brantlet tops the FA list for me, assuming we could get him on a 3 year deal. If we go the cheap route, Lonnie Chisenhal matches up well also, plus he can play 3b.

As far as trade targets, it seems like slim pickens for OFers. Eddie Rosario, Nick Castenallos, and Joc Pederson are guys likely to be on the market, may be Starlin Marte and David Peralta could be on that list as well. Not pretty. Among this group, I'd probably target Rosario, Peralta, or Marte if they were actually available.
    Last edited by Carp; 10-06-2018 at 07:36 PM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

clvclv (10-07-2018), jpx7 (10-07-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I mean him and Duvall could make a very good duo in LF, if Duvall can get back on track that is. But the acquisition cost would likely be fairly substantial, and we can sign a LH OF bat in FA to do the same thing without giving up prospects. Michael Brantlet tops the FA list for me, assuming we could get him on a 3 year deal. If we go the cheap route, Lonnie Chisenhal matches up well also, plus he can play 3b.

As far as trade targets, it seems like slim pickens for OFers. Eddie Rosario, Nick Castenallos, and Joc Pederson are guys likely to be on the market, may be Starlin Marte and David Peralta could be on that list as well. Not pretty. Among this group, I'd probably target Rosario, Peralta, or Marte if they were actually available.
    I like Eddie Rosario too. He's not a great defender but rates better than Markakis.

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Bumgarner should be our Justin Verlander at the trade deadline next year or Arenado.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    You and I discuss it all the time, but I think versatility should be one of our biggest priorities this offseason and a switch hitter like Escobar would fit that mold perfectly.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BeanieAntics For This Useful Post:

clvclv (10-07-2018), Jaw (10-06-2018), jpx7 (10-07-2018)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post

I mentioned Eddie Rosario a month or two ago and I stand by that. I think he would be the single most desirable outfield trade target that seems remotely feasible. Guys like Pederson could be solid too, but Rosario would also provide a ton of control. A trade for him and a signing of Eduardo Escobar would be my major additions to the offense. Then maybe go after a bullpen arm and look to resign some of our young guys. Maybe even try to sign one more versatile bat to extend the bench even more if you can. I don't want to have any more zeros on the bench next year. I think we can fit all of that into our budget and greatly improve the team next year.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BeanieAntics For This Useful Post:

auyushu (10-07-2018), Jaw (10-06-2018), jpx7 (10-07-2018), nsacpi (10-07-2018)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    I like Eddie Rosario too. He's not a great defender but rates better than Markakis.
    The thing about Rosario is that he has just gotten better and better throughout his career and I think he has a legit .300 30 homer bat stuck in there somewhere. The only big criticism I have of Rosario is that he doesn't walk a ton. I'd like to see that improve. But he would be a major addition to our outfield.

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    I really believe Anthopolous probably will like to add Josh Donaldson a guy with playoff experience, he can play clean up and exMVP.
    If he get hurt he still have Camargo to cover third base. Probably utilize Riley in a trade for a guy like Jt Realmuto, Salvador Perez or Buster Posey. He should sign some guy like Andrew Miller or another reliever to mentor Minter. The same way Wagner did with Kimbrel. Braves need veterans with playoff experience to mentor the kids. Markakis don’t bring that to the table. Perez, Posey and Miller all those players make it to the World Series.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,532 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    You and I discuss it all the time, but I think versatility should be one of our biggest priorities this offseason and a switch hitter like Escobar would fit that mold perfectly.
    with the way teams are allocating more roster spots to relievers and fewer to the bench a switch hitter who can play multiple positions carries a lot of value
    Last edited by nsacpi; 10-07-2018 at 07:24 AM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

20. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-07-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Rosario would be a big target for me. If we could sign Grandal and trade for Rosario the offense would be in great shape going into next year. Maybe Donaldson would sign a one year deal to improve his value and we could use Camargo as a super sub.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    Two of the reasons I'd be a huge fan of an Escobar signing - so long as he doesn't cost too much.

One of the things the Cubs have done that I've been a huge fan of is to continue to beat the versatility drum - even if it means you don't always have guys in their best positions. I think this really works during the regular season, and can be a big part of making you successful when you're a legitimate contender for something more than just a division crown.

I mentioned him a good while back, but I'm not sure most would want to go as far as I would if we added him. If you bring Escobar on board, I'd have Camargo and Riley spend a lot of time tracking flyballs this winter (Johan in both corner spots) and have Ozzie brush up on his SS play and maybe even see how he looks in CF. All of a sudden you'd have tons of interchangeable pieces, and could REALLY lean on Snitker to play the lineup the numbers dictate EVERY DAY, and could even go with a really short bench.

1B - Freeman (L), Escobar (S), Culberson (R)
    2B - Albies (S), Escobar (S), Camargo (S), Culberson (R)
    SS - Dansby (R), Albies (S), Camargo (S), Culberson (R)
    3B - Riley (R), Camargo (S), Escobar (S), Culberson (R)
    LF - Escobar (S), Camargo (S), Culberson (R), Riley (R)
    CF - Ender (L), Acuna (R), Albies (S)
    RF - Acuna (R), Ender (L), Camargo (S)

Spend the money to sign Grandal, and you'd still have 3 switch-hitters on the bench on a lot of days between Grandal/Camargo/Escobar/Albies even with a 3-man bench. Of course a short bench like that would be really outside the box, but if you wanted to use an "Opener" in the NL, that's probably the type of lineup you'd need to make it work for an extended period of time. I think there are plenty of teams that could make it work without the DH for a short time or playoff series, but probably not for weeks at a time if you've only got one utility guy on the dirt and one in the OF. You're still going to have too many days when your SP just doesn't have it and can't get through a lineup twice (even coming in against the latter part of the order) or your Opener gets ambushed and doesn't get out of the 1st.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-08-2018)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,938 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    Rosario would be a big target for me. If we could sign Grandal and trade for Rosario the offense would be in great shape going into next year. Maybe Donaldson would sign a one year deal to improve his value and we could use Camargo as a super sub.
    I doubt very much that the Twins will entertain any offers for Rosario. They might for Kapler.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-07-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Rosario or Escobar would be fine additions, though I sure would like someone who knows what a walk is, but can’t say either of them particularly seems like a logical addition.

Escobar is looking at payday money to start, not utility money to be versatile.

You could argue the Braves might be getting similar level of production/versatility from Camargo.

Hard to understand why the Twins would be moving a cheap 3 win player like rosario when they seem to be trying for wild card every year. Would seem costly if they did move him.

He doesn’t walk either.

Watching Dodgers makes you wish for actually scary hitters through the order rather than a handful of all right guys.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,829 Posts
    Posey- He has a huge contract and needs alot of days off, eh.
    Salvy- Not sure if hes mentioned but he's a guy i'd target.
    Bumgarner- He's declined some the past few years, but i guess if the cost isnt extreme, why not?

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Arod mentioned Harper again tonight. I don't think it should be dismissed as a pipe dream just yet. Whatever the case I hope the Braves only target guys in their prime, not guys like Donaldson, Posey, Perez, and Bumgarner. All those guys are broken down and past their prime. The Braves window is just opening, lets don't start closing it with a repeat of Wainwright, Tex, or Butler trades. We have been patient this long.

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VirginiaBrave For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-08-2018), jpx7 (10-08-2018), salmagundy (10-08-2018), UNCBlue012 (10-08-2018)